Mandatory Facebook Timeline update coming in the next few weeks

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Facebook has announced that over the next few weeks, their Timeline profile layout will be pushed out to all 800 million members of the social network. Users are being given seven days to preview Timeline and make any changes before it goes public for everyone to see.

Those who have not already switched to Timeline will see a notification at the top of their profile in the coming weeks regarding the change. Up to this point, the switch to Timeline view has been optional but moving forward, all users will be migrated to the new layout whether they want it or not.

facebook timeline

Timeline was first announced at the Facebook f8 conference in September 2011 alongside Open Graphs. The new profile layout is described as the next step in telling your personal life story with all of your social network updates available to view on a single page. Timeline was made available immediately to those who signed up as a developer for the site with plans to launch publically not longer after the announcement but that was delayed based on a lawsuit from Timelines.com over use of the “Timeline” name.

Timeline officially went live worldwide last month with Facebook even giving away 200,000 sets of Timeline business cards to help promote the new layout. Last week Facebook introduced 60 new Open Graph partners including TripAdvisor, Ticketmaster, Digg, Zynga and Buzzfeed, just to name a few. The new Open Graphs allow users to better interact with apps rather than just being able to “like” them. Examples shown included “listened” and “watched” when referencing Spotify, Netflix and RDIO.

Permalink to story.

Timeline? Who cares. Forcing your clients to adhere to your terms without compromise? Stupid.

A few months ago I signed up my other Facebook account (my fake one) for the timeline (when it was in beta/dev mode) and I tried it out for a while. Anyway, I didn't like it so I deleted that account.

I just didn't like it. Il probably keep my real Facebook account, but I will be using it a lot less when everyone is forced into the timeline. Its just cheesy.

I really like the cover photo idea, but I think it would be better place where the persons information (about section) is. But I absolutely hate how its organized now. Its really awkward to use.

But then again, I have been against every update they have come out with. I still miss that 2007 facebook version that I loved...

Guest said:
I still miss that 2007 facebook version that I loved...
You mean back when it was still open only to people with @*.edu emails (namely college students), the ads were unobtrusive (I honestly don't remember them way back), facebook apps were all but non-existent, and all the people you didn't want to deal with were still obsessed with Myspace? Yeah, I miss that too. Much simpler back then.

Or, was that 2006? I use facebook rather sparingly so my memory is rather fuzzy.

I wonder if their 800 million user number filters out all the duplicate accounts, I know someone that has 6 accounts.

There's a lady (really a kid - she's 19) at work that has you beat, Guest. She has FOURTEEN Facebook accounts, mainly to pad her Farmville, Yoville and Whateverville game stats. She openly brags about it.

Would be interesting to see how many legitimate Facebook accounts there really are.

we don't want Timeline. If it wasn't for my overseas family and friends, I would switch to Google+

Exactly. I've not bothered to checkout this timeline crap, (just heard about it flipping past Bill Mahar), but I've disliked pretty much every major update they've done. They've all mostly made things harder and/or more confusing to use. I'm sure it'll mean I use my account less, though @ this point, I don't use it too often anywho.

The only thing REPEATEDLY asked for by almost EVERYONE, is a dislike button. Everything changes except that....

Timeline: because some ***** Facebook developer thought that it was a good idea for Facebook to look like Myspace. That's my overly cynical opinion of it. I'l be deleting my FB pretty soon.

< rant>

If you don't like the updates go right ahead and delete your Facebook, you won't be missed. It's tiring seeing people piss and moan every time they update their site. The only thing that significantly changes in this particular update is the appearance of your profile page. Literally. Other than that you get Activity Log which makes it a hell of a lot easier to manage everything related to your account on Facebook. For example, you can use it to see every post/comment/etc. (pretty much anything) by you in a nice endless scrolling page descending by date and you can then delete things if you wish to do so.

I understand it's new and people hate change, but really, if you give it a few days it'll grow on you just fine. Besides that, Timeline only shows what you allow it to show, if you don't want your life story (no pun intended) on there, then don't put it on there.

I always delete things off my timeline before they get past ~30 days old. My timeline now consist entirely of one life event (when I built my first PC), a shared YouTube video, one status update, and one shared picture, and one post from someone who wrote on my timeline and all those things except the life event will get deleted in about a week.

I can say without a doubt, if Facebook never implemented the updates that they have since 2007, if Facebook was still the way it was back then, it would be horrible. When Facebook does updates they usually take advantage of new web standards or make the site more advanced in the process (example, so much of Facebook is real-time now compared to 2007).

I'm not saying it's perfect, it isn't, but the least you could do is be constructive and give feedback to Facebook instead of moaning and groaning every time they do something. If not, delete your profile and move on with your life.

< /rant>

I don't know whats up with this new "Timeline" hopefully its worth it to facebook and most importantly the users for this switch. Some of my family already switched or are using the beta(?) and don't seem to be complaining. But a good point might be that its the younger kids I know tweeny / teens that switched and not complaining. I have to believe its the old dogs who have trouble switching parks to go play in lol There was a time no one liked the side bar that showed your friends online, now everybody's used to it and mostly like it. This is a chance, a roll of the dice that Facebook taking. So the social experts made their decision and we'll have to live with it, and no doubt there will be more tweeking Facebook will do in the coming months and maybe by Summer or Fall we'll be settled into a new awesome Facebook that functions as a Social Rocking Machine that protects our private information and friends lists with their information too. And maybe theres a whole new line of socisl apps waiting to launch with the new Facebook or later as New Facebook settles into socializing functioning speed and clarity.

So, Facebook are rolling out a new feature in "weeks" that will change how my account looks and probably put up information I don't want. But I've only got "days" to tweak it to what suits me. Thanks a lot FB. Now I'm going to have to log in every other day over the next few weeks to see which of my information/photos they are going to plaster all over my home page without my permission.

I quit facebooking......
ya
went on to better things...
facebook will die out after a few more years...anyways

Have any of you complaining actually used it....I hate change myself but the timeline actually works pretty good. Its one of the recent changes that I actually think is a good upgrade. The old profile was lame...time to move forward...deleting your account does nothing...you will be back...more and more services are relying on Facebook and if you don't have it you can't get the service either...Just go with the changing times.

It is just to exloit everyone's information and privacy setting are a joke when the mods have authorization to view what is being posted. F/B was ok in the beginning but now it has become big brother and I'll delete my account because I don't have to have it.

Have any of you complaining actually used it.
Thats not the point behind my issue with them.

They make automated changes far too frequently. I'm tired of all the constant glitches. They fix one glitch and a new one arises. Hardly a day goes by where there is not some glitch or new update causing you grief.

This is a prime example at how a program can be improved to the point of the user despising the application. Once the damage has been done, it's practically irreversible as the user never wants to give it another chance.

This could all be avoided by giving the user a chance to decide for themselves whether they want the new features. I'm sure after time moves on and more features are lost, the user would eventually decide to make the switch themselves.

Na, I'll join Google+ and try to sway people to do the same, I know a fair few peeps who really regret changing over to the this silly Timeline thing so I'm sure I can persuade a fair few :)

Back