Max RAM for Windows XP?

drecked

HI guys , Can anyone give me a Idea on how much ram you can have
with XP windows , I have this feeling that 4 GIG is the limit ,
can anyone set me straight ? >. Salut drecked .

Be careful reading the comments on that page Buck linked for you drecked - there is a lot of confusion down there even from people who seem to think they know the answers. Just use the posted information at top of that page and make sure you at least make it down to the part called "How graphics cards and other devices affect memory limits".

I believe that LNCPapa is clarifying that the Effective Memory you will see using
My Computer->Properties is different than the sum of the memory chips installed
due to some portion being used for onboard video support.

Your XP(32bit) will max out at 4gb installed and 3+fraction being available for use.
Windows XP x64 is limited to 128 GB of physical memory.

Ram

Yes Jobeard, looking at the systems general page it shows 3.42 gig of
ram ! Does that mean the is to much ram in there or can It handle the 4 G ?

having just put a new M/board in and i5-240 CPU @3.10 GHz would Ibe right thinking I might have to purchase a windows 7 disk ? (using XP)
the new MB is a gigabyte GA-Z68M-D2H It has good on board Graphics and
only cost me $108.00 AU .

Incidently what is there advantage running Windows XP x64 + can you load it from the same disc ?
Thankyou all for your input , Drecked

looking at the systems general page it shows 3.42 gig of
ram ! Does that mean the is to much ram in there or can It handle the 4 G ?
nope; you are maxed out. The 4g-3.42 = 0.58g is left for video and caching.

I highly recommend against using Windows XP 64-bit. If you're going to use a 64-bit Windows OS I suggest you do it with Windows 7. You will likely have driver issues with XP 64.

Thankyou all for your help and advice ! I will hang in there with my updated system and
XP windows for as long as I can ! It's really good to be able to get advice on Comp
problems that bob up now and then, regards drecked

It's OK Clifford the most XP can handle is 4GB and that's what i asked , thanks all for
your help > drecked

Oh, sorry... didn't know it was a serious question Cliff. Yes, my understanding is the same as yours about memory addressing and assignment.

Back