MB cpu support

harry66

Hi everyone im stuck .
I have a old spare computer that works well MB D945GCLG2 and cpu E5400 intel 2.7 mhz. dual core
775 chip set 945 something like that . with 4 g ram 500 w PS 8800gts 640mb.
Its a spare computer but I wish to upgrade my CPU and I cant figure it out if I can upgrade or not .
Ive tried Google search but it doesnt recognize my MB , the search pop up as D945GCLF2
and my MB reading on CPU Z showing Muslim Arab language that I dont have a clue what it is its suppose to be a intel MB from another world , maybe im wrong on that department , I wish it would be English .
Its a 2 MB chip im not sure if I can go 4 MB or would the Bios would be the same I dont know , Im not a computer wiz , I do have some knowledge , if anybody could throw at me a few chip set # that could be compatible with my old beast would be very very appreciated , im stuck Thanks

http://skyline-eng.com/gateway-emachines-coryville-2-motherboard-4006173r-intel-d945gclg2/
http://www.ascendtech.us/emachines-coryville-2-motherboard-d945g_i_mb4gwecoryville.aspx
Processor:
  • Intel® Core™2 Duo processor in an LGA775 socket with a 1066 or 800 MHz system bus
  • Intel® Pentium® D processor in an LGA775 socket with an 800 or 533 MHz system bus
  • Intel® Pentium® 4 processor in an LGA775 socket with an 800 or 533 MHz system bus
  • Intel® Celeron® D processor in an LGA775 socket with a 533 MHz system bus
Your motherboard does not support CPU's on a 1333 MHz system bus.

The advice you've been given is accurate. I've just made an upgrade to my old desktop which had the E5400 (2.66Ghz) processor and 3Gb of DDR2 ram. I bought, second hand, a 2Gb stick of ram and the top of the range E7600 both of which were very cheap. Now I'm running a 3.06Ghz dual core with 4Gb ram which is the max that W10 32 bit can use. The speed increase is minimal - just about noticeable. The motherboard cannot use DDR3 ram so putting a quad core processor in isn't worthwhile. The job took me less than half an hour and I like messing about with computers. For a big performance increase you'd need to replace the motherboard, processor and ram. You might as well buy a new desktop. An SSD drive would perk things up but again they aren't particularly cheap.

Your desktop is adequate for general purposes. An E7600 boots loads W10 a few seconds quicker than with the E5400 but that's about it.

Back