McDonald's is market testing Beyond Meat burgers in Canada

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? McDonald's is preparing to market test the Beyond Meat burger in more than two dozen restaurants in Canada. Presumably, if the burger receives positive feedback, it’ll be considered for other markets including in the US.

McDonald’s has its answer to Burger King’s Impossible Whopper. It’s called the Plant Lettuce Tomato, or P.L.T. for short, and it’ll be making its debut in 28 McDonald’s restaurants in Southwestern Ontario, Canada, from September 30.

The new P.L.T. is made with a plant-based Beyond Meat patty made specifically for McDonald’s with no artificial colors, flavors or preservatives. It’s more or less a cheeseburger with the usual fixings (lettuce, tomato, onion and condiments like ketchup and mustard). According to McDonald’s nutritional summary, a standard P.L.T. contains 460 calories, 25g of fat, 42g of carbohydrates, 17g of protein and 920mg of sodium.

It will be market tested during a 12-week period at $6.49 CAD plus tax. Burger King performed a similar market test before rolling the Impossible Whopper out nationwide.

Ann Wahlgren, McDonald’s VP of global menu strategy, said the test will help them learn more about real-world implications of serving the P.L.T. including customer demand and impact on restaurant operations.

The Beyond Burger is also available at select Carl's Jr. restaurants in the US for those itching to try it out.

Permalink to story.

"a standard P.L.T. contains 460 calories, 25g of fat, 42g of carbohydrates, 17g of protein and 920mg of sodium."

All of these fake products, including "diet soda" contain so much sodium that if you have high blood pressure or other sodium issues, you pretty much can't fit them into a balanced daily diet because they individual blow your sodium budget away.

And then there's the possibility of hormones in these products causing hyperfemininity in males.

I spend my summers in Southeast asia. It really helps me detoxify myself from America's toxified food. I can eat virtually whatever I want in Asia and Southeast Asia and lose weight. Virtually no additives in the meat, vegetables or fruits. They taste and look fresher than ever in Thailand, Philippines and Bali.

A big Mac has 940mg of sodium which is actually less than some of their other burgers. Don't even look at the sodium in a combo meal. And of course there's no hormones in any of the cows...

A big Mac has 940mg of sodium which is actually less than some of their other burgers. Don't even look at the sodium in a combo meal. And of course there's no hormones in any of the cows...

Wikipedia suggests that a Big Mac has over 1000mg of Sodium.

The fries are what pushes Sodium in a combo meal past the 1000 mark. Diet Soda does as well. I'm drinking a sparkling water that has about 700mg of Sodium and 30 calories.

Fortunately, once you get older you just drive by the McDonalds without stopping, which brings your sodium intake in a single meal way, way, way down .... of course I do miss that free prize in the happy meal .......

Anti impossible people make this image flash in my head.
https://cms.qz.com/wp-content/uploa...13545641.jpg?quality=75&strip=all&w=950&h=565
gettyimages-830617844_master-e1502813545641.jpg

Impossible Whopper nutrition

As for nutrition, the burgers (not including the buns, sauces, and other extras), contain the following per 4-ounce patty:

• Calories: 240
  • Fat: 14 grams
  • Saturated fat: 8 grams
  • Sodium: 370 milligrams
  • Carbohydrates: 9 grams
  • Fiber: 3 grams
  • Protein: 19 grams
Here’s what the Impossible Whopper’s nutrition looks like once you add the toppings, which includes tomatoes, lettuce, creamy mayo, ketchup, pickles, sliced white onions—all layered between sesame seed buns.

• Calories: 630
  • Fat: 34 grams
  • Saturated fat: 11 grams
  • Sodium: 1,080 grams
  • Carbohydrates: 58 grams
  • Fiber: 4 grams
  • Protein: 25 grams
  • Sugar: 12 grams
REGULAR WHOPPER
Calories 677
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 37 g 56%
Saturated fat 12 g 60%
Polyunsaturated fat 10 g
Monounsaturated fat 14 g
Trans fat 1.5 g
Cholesterol 87 mg 29%
Sodium 911 mg 37%
Potassium 492 mg 14%
Total Carbohydrate 54 g 18%
Dietary fiber 5 g 20%
Sugar 12 g
Protein 31 g 62%

When I was in my 30's, I LOVED the Wendy's "big" burgers with bacon. Now that I'm in my late 50's...can't even touch them. Congestive heart failure runs in my family. Have to take BP meds, watch the salt intake.
I gave up 99.9% of ALL soda this spring, and 100% of Mt. Dew, after an almost 40 year love affair. I think PepsiCo stock is down by the way LOL.
After being off soda, especially Mt. Dew, for 6 months, my RESTING heart rate, which use to be in the mid 80's, is now in the low 60's. And with MINIMAL exercise (walking a couple miles on the weekends), dropped 20 pounds. Sucks cutting back on salty snacks, processed food, because some of it TASTES GOOD, but, I want to be around when global warming/climate change blows up the planet LOL.

I am sure that there are some that will not want to hear this, but the impossible burgers will not be a substitute source of complete protein. The only way to get true complete protein is to eat meat.

There are also no hormones in cows that are certified to have none - like all organic certified meats and at least some grass-fed cows.

Not only that, but the fat content of the meat is significantly healthier than cows, from factory farms or otherwise, that were fed corn. Corn is not a natural feed of cows. Meat from grass-fed cows, or game meat like venison, elk, or bison, has a fat profile that is similar to that of salmon or tuna.

When I was in my 30's, I LOVED the Wendy's "big" burgers with bacon. Now that I'm in my late 50's...can't even touch them. Congestive heart failure runs in my family. Have to take BP meds, watch the salt intake.
I gave up 99.9% of ALL soda this spring, and 100% of Mt. Dew, after an almost 40 year love affair. I think PepsiCo stock is down by the way LOL.
After being off soda, especially Mt. Dew, for 6 months, my RESTING heart rate, which use to be in the mid 80's, is now in the low 60's. And with MINIMAL exercise (walking a couple miles on the weekends), dropped 20 pounds. Sucks cutting back on salty snacks, processed food, because some of it TASTES GOOD, but, I want to be around when global warming/climate change blows up the planet LOL.
I have been organic, including meat, for a long time. One of the reasons that I switched to organic is that it tastes, IMO, far better.

We are fortunate in my area to have a source of nitrate/nitrite-free smoked meats and sausages. Most of the meats that you see in supermarkets that claim to be free of nitrates/nitrites actually have nitrates/nitrites from things like celery powder. There is none of the crap in the cured meats/sausage that we have in our area. The processing facility that cures the meats does use sea salt, however, I tend to believe that nitrate/nitrite concentration in that is minimal in comparison to cured meats with celery powder.

Why does this matter? Because recent research has indicated that cured meats with nitrates/nitrites are linked to cancer. I love bacon, ham, Canadian bacon/cottage bacon and after eating this for years, meats cured with nitrates/nitrites taste like crap not to mention that they increase my heart rate - as they dilate blood vessels.

Also, going organic seems to have contributed to my health as I rarely get sick.

Impossible Whopper nutrition

As for nutrition, the burgers (not including the buns, sauces, and other extras), contain the following per 4-ounce patty:

• Calories: 240
  • Fat: 14 grams
  • Saturated fat: 8 grams
  • Sodium: 370 milligrams
  • Carbohydrates: 9 grams
  • Fiber: 3 grams
  • Protein: 19 grams
Here’s what the Impossible Whopper’s nutrition looks like once you add the toppings, which includes tomatoes, lettuce, creamy mayo, ketchup, pickles, sliced white onions—all layered between sesame seed buns.

• Calories: 630
  • Fat: 34 grams
  • Saturated fat: 11 grams
  • Sodium: 1,080 grams
  • Carbohydrates: 58 grams
  • Fiber: 4 grams
  • Protein: 25 grams
  • Sugar: 12 grams
REGULAR WHOPPER
Calories 677
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 37 g 56%
Saturated fat 12 g 60%
Polyunsaturated fat 10 g
Monounsaturated fat 14 g
Trans fat 1.5 g
Cholesterol 87 mg 29%
Sodium 911 mg 37%
Potassium 492 mg 14%
Total Carbohydrate 54 g 18%
Dietary fiber 5 g 20%
Sugar 12 g
Protein 31 g 62%
So it looks like it is not all that different from the regular whopper, and as such, it is really not all that healthier.

Marketing at its finest! :facepalm:

I'll be testing my beyond-money cash in McDonalds. It's like money, but basically just a b&w photocopy of money on a 70gr recycled paper. It's way way cheaper to mass produce than traditional money, and it basically looks almost the same, and contains way less paint, cellulose and such. It's also Vegan friendly.

I am sure that there are some that will not want to hear this, but the impossible burgers will not be a substitute source of complete protein. The only way to get true complete protein is to eat meat.

could you please elaborate on what is Trve Complete Protein? because consuming untrue incomplete vegetarian one for a decade definitely doesn't cause any issues :) sorry, I've had enough of hearing this myth over the years

milk & eggs also are a source of protein, and aren't meat

"a standard P.L.T. contains 460 calories, 25g of fat, 42g of carbohydrates, 17g of protein and 920mg of sodium."

All of these fake products, including "diet soda" contain so much sodium that if you have high blood pressure or other sodium issues, you pretty much can't fit them into a balanced daily diet because they individual blow your sodium budget away.

And then there's the possibility of hormones in these products causing hyperfemininity in males.

I spend my summers in Southeast asia. It really helps me detoxify myself from America's toxified food. I can eat virtually whatever I want in Asia and Southeast Asia and lose weight. Virtually no additives in the meat, vegetables or fruits. They taste and look fresher than ever in Thailand, Philippines and Bali.

I don't want to be rude but I read your comments and I get this hint your an older guy that goes to Asia just to have sex with their women. I remember you always talking about Asian women in the past. I'm guessing you're a rich old fat guy?

could you please elaborate on what is Trve Complete Protein? because consuming untrue incomplete vegetarian one for a decade definitely doesn't cause any issues :) sorry, I've had enough of hearing this myth over the years

milk & eggs also are a source of protein, and aren't meat
https://healthyeating.sfgate.com/quality-protein-red-meat-2445.html

oh noooo, complaining about a myth while posting one

Some plant proteins, such as those found in buckwheat, quinoa, and soy, are complete proteins as well.

https://www.consumerreports.org/diet-nutrition/are-plant-proteins-complete-proteins/

I don't want to be rude but I read your comments and I get this hint your an older guy that goes to Asia just to have sex with their women. I remember you always talking about Asian women in the past. I'm guessing you're a rich old fat guy?
The son of a rich old etc? or at least pretends to be

oh noooo, complaining about a myth while posting one

Some plant proteins, such as those found in buckwheat, quinoa, and soy, are complete proteins as well.

https://www.consumerreports.org/diet-nutrition/are-plant-proteins-complete-proteins/
Given that the article I posted was published after the Consumer Reports article, I think that prior research is significantly more likely to be a myth. Also, most of the advice that touts moving away from meat fails to mention the research into the fat profile of grass-fed and organic meats.

If you feel content eating what you eat, that's great for you!

While you are in the US, what you eat is your choice, of course. There are a significant number of sources for truly good food. I suspect that you eat what you eat because you either do not cook, choose not to cook, or, IMO, the worst excuse of all, have no time to cook.

Do yourself a favor while in the US, find sources of organic, fresh food (farmer's markets are a great place to start and some supermarket chains as well as coops, local specialty stores, and even Whole Foods are great sources), and cook for yourself. IMO, that is the only way to ensure that you are eating the best food in the US. Even some packaged/frozen foods labelled as healthy are complete trash, IMO.

I have not eaten at a fast food joint like MickeyD's in years and you could not even pay me to eat there. I can make a substantially better and healthier meal at home.

Back