"Memory Error" on new build, but memory is fine (3 Beeps)

Mugsy

I really hope someone can help on this.

New build. MSI H81i mITX MoBo with Celeron G1840 (Socket 1150) and 1 stick of Corsair 4gb DDR3-1333 memory. 300watt PSU. One 500gb HDD and 1 DVD drive (both sata-3)

When I switch on the computer, all I get is 3 long beeps. No display. Nothing.

MSI uses the AMI BIOS, and according to their website: "3 beeps - Base 64K memory failure - bad memory".

Memory is fine (brand new and tested in another build). I removed and reseated it to be sure. Memory is in DIMM1 (of 2) closest to CPU.

There are separate Beep Codes for "memory", so I'm wondering what "Base 64K memory" is? If it were the CPU, that has its own Beep code as well, so I don't think it's the cpu cache.

I'm trying to build a HTPC for Mother's Day, so time is of the essence. Please help! TIA.

Have you tried pulling out the motherboards CMOS battery for a couple of minutes then re-installing it?

Thanks for the reply.

I tried clearing the CMOS with a jumper rather than remove the battery (a pain) and it made no difference.

MSI support has been less than useless. First, they told me to remove my CPU and check the processor for "bent pins". I informed them that "this is an Intel processor and doesn't have any pins" (that's AMD.) You'd think they'd know what CPU their own board uses.

Their response was that they weren't telling me to check "the processor", but the socket itself. When I informed them that the socket is soldered flush to the MoBo with no pins to bend, they suggested it's the video card.

I already specified in my details I'm not using a video card. I'm using the on-board video.

They told me to remove one of my memory modules, but I'm only using one (also noted in my specs).

Finally, they said my Beep Codes mean it's a "keyboard error" and to "try another keyboard" but that "a keyboard error would not prevent the computer from booting, so the MoBo may be defective." I tried unplugging the kb but still get the same three long beeps the moment I press the power button.

I'll take the computer back to the place I bought the MoBo so they can test it. I'm not a happy camper with MSI right now. :(

Back