Memory makers: SSDs to be mainstream in 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Various memory makers recently gathered in Taipei to explore the possibilities of establishing common standards for IT industries in China and Taiwan, and apparently, the group touched on SSD adoption. According to DigiTimes, the participants expect NAND flash prices to fall significantly in as chip suppliers transition to 20nm parts.

This would ultimately bring SSDs down to a more affordable level, but the attendees do not expect flash-based drives to achieve penetration in the PC market before 2011. In the meantime, representatives of China's industry are urging companies to develop and standardize SSD specifications to challenge core technologies currently controlled by major international vendors.

The two-day conference ended yesterday, and participants included top executives from Taiwan and China-based companies, such as A-Data Technology, Condel Technology, JMicron Technology, and Silicon Motion Technology. Mark Lai, compliance committee director for the Solid State Drive Alliance (SSDA), also attended.

Permalink to story.

The costs per drive are remarkably low if all these outfits go into production as planned, and the competition will help keep them that way.
Of course we still have to wade through the defects that some manufactturers will put out as they go through th shortcuts instead of doing it right.

Western digital Caviar Black 2TB, beats the hell out of current ssd's as far as price for performance, I'd rather have that then a sdd anyday

They say 2011, but i don't believe that it will be sooner than Q4 of 2011. Most likely 2012 will be the year in which SSD's will become mainstream.(hopefully)

The last mechanical part of our computer finally will meets the end of its life soon ^_^ i wonder how fast the computer can be...

Nice to know. The standard disc hard drive is reaching an end to its ability. SSD's though fairly new have yet to mature and become the dominant source for holding data.

I still prefer the traditional hard drives, they are cheaper, have larger capacity, and writing speed is faster

@ Manintech

Although this is true, traditional HDDs have been around for quite a while and although tthey are fast and cheap they also have a finite life span. I am looking forward to a future where data stored on a system can be kept forever. Not that the current SSDs will do this, but they are the precursor of that future...perhaps in years to come holographic memory will be that solution.

It's about time I think - right now traditional HDs are approaching the end of their life as the only things they have to offer over SSDs are larger storage space, which is not really that important over 2TB (I can't imagine anyone having hundreds of HD movies they want to stash away) and price, which hopefully will not be a factor for SSDs in a couple of years.

Ill hold off my purchase for SSDs for now then, will get me 500GB HDD for peanuts at the moment. This will really kick off probably by 2012, hopefully not the end of the world eh!

SSDs have better performance over HDDs because of no-spinups, no read/write head, phisical location is irrelevant, and less effect for fragmentations. Not the mention other stuff such as quite and less mechanical failure.

But HDDs have the best capacity which is more important.

The ideal setup would be a fast, sub $100 256GB SSD as boot drive, and a good HDD for storing purposes.

I still trust HDD's more than SSD's :)

I have been looking for the end of the HDD for a long time. They really are the weak link of most computers. have something physically move day in and day out make them very vulnerable.

However I have personally had a SSD go bad in my netbook, and another in a friends. I welcome the death of the HDD but I want the SSD to get a bit more reliable over the long term before I make the switch. They are supposed to be a step forward not a step back.

Sign me up for a new SSD when the Mayan Long count calender starts - by then the price and performance will probably be mainstream.

I've been thinking of getting a low capacity SSD just for running my OS and few apps. I'd like to see my computer boot faster and be a bit more responsive. Doubt I could restrain myself from buying one until 2011 though . . .

Prices of SSD are falling, but they are still not affordable for most of us but it is just a matter of time since we all get our hands on one, with that and the new USB 3.0 pcs will become faster :)

wow SSDs in PCs the costs for them will probably be the cost of when SSDs first came out. 2011 is just a year away that really isn't that far away... I <3 the computer industry!

Can't wait for one of these puppies getting down to more reasonable prices, I've wanted one as a boot drive for a long time now but still I am not willing to dish out 120€ for a 64GB SSD anytime soon. :(

These would have become more mainstream if the prices were lower. I cant wait until the prices of these fall so i can finally get one for my PC!

I'm no expert in the field, so there is probably a very good reason for this, but how come they're talking about 20nm SSD chips when Intel itself is just starting to talk about 32nm CPUs? Why isn't Intel capable of producing 20nm chips, with all its money and resources?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back