Meteor Lake CPUs, now shipping to manufacturers, can run Dying Light 2 on integrated graphics

Daniel Sims

Staff
Why it matters: Integrated graphics chips are typically not designed for anything more intensive than low-end or retro games. However, Intel aims to change this with its upcoming Meteor Lake architecture and XeSS upscaling technology, which could make blockbuster titles accessible to a wider range of PCs.

Intel has posted a brief demonstration of one of its upcoming Meteor Lake processors running Dying Light 2 without a dedicated GPU. In the showcase, Intel demonstrated the benefits of its XeSS (Xe Super Sampling) upscaling technology. The short clip doesn't reveal the actual framerate or graphics settings, but it compares native 1080p gameplay with footage upscaled from 720p using XeSS.

The game looks significantly smoother with XeSS engaged, and Intel claims that it improves performance by between 60 and 80 percent. More importantly, for laptops, which are the primary target of Meteor Lake, both settings consume only about 30 watts.

Dying Light 2 received much praise for its graphics on PC, and making it playable on integrated graphics is a significant achievement. In discussions surrounding upscaling, XeSS isn't mentioned as often as Nvidia's DLSS (Deep Learning Super Sampling) or AMD's FSR (FidelityFX Super Resolution). However, its incorporation into Intel's integrated graphics solutions could make it consequential in ways the other two aren't, depending on how quickly its adoption spreads.

The list of games supporting XeSS is relatively small compared to the extensive support of Nvidia's DLSS and AMD's FSR. However, XeSS includes some notable titles.

Popular games like Call of Duty, Diablo IV, Forza Horizon 5, Spider-Man, and Cyberpunk 2077 are among those that could achieve acceptable performance on relatively affordable hardware. Intel told PC Gamer that Meteor Lake iGPUs approach the performance of recent entry-level dedicated cards like the RTX 3050.

Meteor Lake promises a fundamental overhaul of Intel's CPU architecture. Officially named Core Ultra, processors in this series will include the company's first integrated AI accelerators, known as neural processing units. It also marks Intel's shift to a multi-tile chiplet design, similar to what AMD's latest CPUs currently employ. Intel's 4 nm process will debut with the compute tiles.

The first Core Ultra systems are scheduled to launch on December 14, and their release seems to be progressing smoothly. In a recent conference call, Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger noted that shipments to manufacturers began in the third quarter, so hardware vendors have been receiving them for weeks. It's worth mentioning that Core Ultra processors are primarily designed for laptops, OEMs, and all-in-one devices, and they won't include socketed variants for DIY builders.

Permalink to story.

It will be interesting to see how well it scales with DDR5 system RAM megatransfer speeds - assuming the memory will be shared with the IGP, as with previous generations.

This article acts like playing games at 720p upscaled 1080p is new. It’s not.

AI upscaling looks a little better (while adding other artifacts) but it doesn’t revolutionalize anything.

People have been gaming on iGPUs at low res for a long time.

Who the f want to play that peace of s game!?
Wow, are you ok lil buddy ? What did that game ever did to you ? hurt your feelings ?

Anyways, they should have tested with more popular games and in an online setting then show us the full results, not cherry picked.

Wow, are you ok lil buddy ? What did that game ever did to you ? hurt your feelings ?

Anyways, they should have tested with more popular games and in an online setting then show us the full results, not cherry picked.
It downgraded version of the first one and it cost more too. I guess I hurt your feelings for not having the same shitty taste as yours.

What can I say here? That is "awesome"! Totally incredible!

According to Userbenchmark, following (and many other too) AMD CPUs are better than either of those:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

And also following (and many other) Intel CPUs are better than 12900K:

Intel Core i3-12100F
Intel Core i5-9600K
Intel Core i3-10100F
Intel Core i3-9100F
Intel Core i7-7700K

I think you get point without any insults.

Edit: Source: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/

What benchmark you can run to see if your pc run s good or bad. older cpu s can almost do the same as new ones. but they have limitations. older cpus has no support for future cpu gpu s and pcie limitations. it s just a link I found fast. so some older cpus are better but lacking many other tings. win 10 11 limitations as its blocked from even run on those newer OS es. good link that I cant know everything. it was just a tought. im still on gigabyte x299 u4 and I cant get in windows 11 as a limitatation and of corse i9 12900k. im also on amd but many motherboard has searesly bugged motherboard. you have to install bios over a bios to get it work again. telling many older hw are good but bugged more as its not future proofed anymore.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-14900K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-9-7950X/4151vs4133 says all. 10xxxk-14900k amd with their own cpu

link u s er ben ch ma rk 1:1
ahahahahaha userbenchmark ? rly ? is this sarcasm ? if not try google "userbenchmark scandal" this site is total BS , is banned from all serious reddit hardware and many serious tech sites ( tpu and comp') have questionned if this website is not bought by certain brands or the owner a total fanboy/troll it's disinformation at best... I think even techspot have some articles about them... lol and in general, all those "VS sites" are full of BS and totally misleading...

What benchmark you can run to see if your pc run s good or bad. older cpu s can almost do the same as new ones. but they have limitations. older cpus has no support for future cpu gpu s and pcie limitations. it s just a link I found fast. so some older cpus are better but lacking many other tings. win 10 11 limitations as its blocked from even run on those newer OS es. good link that I cant know everything. it was just a tought. im still on gigabyte x299 u4 and I cant get in windows 11 as a limitatation and of corse i9 12900k. im also on amd but many motherboard has searesly bugged motherboard. you have to install bios over a bios to get it work again. telling many older hw are good but bugged more as its not future proofed anymore.
You should consider using a spelling checker, a grammar checker and perhaps a fact checker before posting. As it is, your posts are almost unreadable.

Back