Metro: Last Light calls for GTX Titan to have an 'optimum' experience

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

If you plan to play Metro: Last Light with eye-candy liberally applied, you'll probably want to check your expectations at the door unless you have a fairly solid rig. Publisher Deep Silver has announced the various degrees of system specifications you'll need to play at minimum, recommended and optimum settings.

If you're just hoping to play with whatever configuration will let you make it through the experience, the title can be run with as low as Windows XP 32-bit, a 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB of RAM, and a DirectX 9-compliant graphics card in the realm of an Nvidia GTS 250 or an equivalent from AMD's Radeon HD 4000 series.

The developer's recommended hardware skips forward to the present day, suggesting that you play on a machine with Windows Vista or later, a 2.6GHz quad-core processor such as a Core i5, 4GB of RAM and a DirectX 11-ready card that's in line with the GTX 580/660 Ti or an AMD counterpart such as the HD 7870.

Meanwhile, if you have any intentions on learning what 4A Games considers an "optimum" experience, the studio says you'll need at least a 3.4GHz Core i7 or similar multi-core processor, 8GB of RAM and a GPU in the territory of a GTX 690 or GTX Titan -- a claim we're eager to test when we inevitably bench the game.

As a side note, it's worth mentioning that the rumor about Nvidia bundling Metro: Last Light with its graphics cards turned out to be true. You'll get the sequel free of charge if you purchase a GeForce GTX 660 or better sometime between now and June 15 when the promotion expires (the game launches on May 14).

Permalink to story.

I wonder what resolution that recommendation is for?

I just bought a second 680 to get ready for this game... hopefully I don't need 3 for 2560x1440.

I just bought a second 680 to get ready for this game... hopefully I don't need 3 for 2560x1440.
If it is 60 Hz I think you will be fine. Turning down AA to lower levels wouldnt hurt since it is memory sucking eye candy that isnt even necessary. Games look great at 4x AA.

GPU marketing: where poorly optmized games try to sell overpriced GPU. Anyone played the original, I did and let me tell you that game is not that pretty to require soo much gpu power.

Nah, its not poor optimization its using polygons where most games use textures, soft-shadows, smoke, particle effects, etc... Very expensive on the processing side but refreshing to see someone push the envelope.

Personally I'm happy to see games that bring high-end rigs to their knees, graphics have be pretty much stagnant for far too long.

If it is 60 Hz I think you will be fine. Turning down AA to lower levels wouldnt hurt since it is memory sucking eye candy that isnt even necessary. Games look great at 4x AA.
If it's sucking down memory, 16gb of ram couldn't hurt. That's how I got BF3 to start working with triple screen setup using sli 680s.

If it's sucking down memory, 16gb of ram couldn't hurt. That's how I got BF3 to start working with triple screen setup using sli 680s.

Already running 16GB of RAM.

Ill bet my entire computer I can turn shadows aa and vsync off and still be able to run this fine on my hd7770 ghz edition. lol

GPU marketing: where poorly optmized games try to sell overpriced GPU. Anyone played the original, I did and let me tell you that game is not that pretty to require soo much gpu power.

Nah, its not poor optimization its using polygons where most games use textures, soft-shadows, smoke, particle effects, etc... Very expensive on the processing side but refreshing to see someone push the envelope.

Negative. My GTX295 at 1920x1080 lagged on Medium. Inside a tunnel. Metro 2033 was a terribly optimised game, fact.

Posting optimum specs of a Titan is all well and nice to get the hype machine rolling, but they have a lot of work to do to make it optimised and actually worthy of the Titan. Heck, they don't mention resolution even.

I'm all for hardcore games that push your rig, but they need to be properly coded to begin with.

RAM is different from the GDDR5 on the GPU. I guess it was chance that that is what helped you. RAM isnt shared with the GPU.

Mhm, I was going to point out the same thing. On another note, really excited for this game.

Negative. My GTX295 at 1920x1080 lagged on Medium. Inside a tunnel. Metro 2033 was a terribly optimised game, fact.

Posting optimum specs of a Titan is all well and nice to get the hype machine rolling, but they have a lot of work to do to make it optimised and actually worthy of the Titan. Heck, they don't mention resolution even.

I'm all for hardcore games that push your rig, but they need to be properly coded to begin with.

The 295 came out in 2009... thats like 6 decades in computer years. ;)

Bad coding is when you have a rig that has 6 or 8 threads available with one pegged the rest idle and the game lagging to death. (see Empire Earth II or Supreme Commander) Just because you don't notice all the little things that the graphics engine is doing on the screen doesn't mean that its badly coded. There are some pretty complex graphical effects going on in metro 2033 and likely more in last light. Much of that graphical flare is hidden because the game is very dark, however just because its not visible doesn't mean that the GPU isn't rendering it. I see a lot of people accusing devs of "bad code" in numerous forums all over the web and I would be willing to bet that half of them don't even know what a compiler is.

Back