Metro series author Dmitry Glukhovsky sentenced to 8 years in prison by Russian court...

Status
Not open for further replies.

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Dmitry Glukhovsky, the Russian science fiction writer who penned the Metro series and collaborated with 4A Games on the video game versions, has been sentenced to eight years in prison after a Moscow court found him guilty of deliberately spreading false information about Russia's military.

Glukhovsky was placed on Russia's wanted list in June last year over accusations he discreded the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation in one of his social media posts.

Days after the invasion of Ukraine, Russia introduced a law that prohibited the spreading of "fake" news about what it has long claimed is a "special military operation" designed to demilitarize and "denazify" Ukraine while protecting its Russian speakers. Those convicted of breaking this law face up to 15 years in prison.

After he left Russia, Glukhovsky wrote in an Instagram post that the war "unleashed by Putin is becoming more terrible and inhuman every day, and the pretexts under which it was started look more and more insignificant and false." He was labeled a "foreign agent" by the Kremlin in October.

Glukhovsky, who also worked as a journalist in Israel and covered the Second Lebanon War in 2006, was the first major cultural figure to be placed on Russia's wanted list.

Associated Press reports that the author has been found guilty of posting text and video messages on his social media channels accusing Russian soldiers of committing crimes in Ukraine, something that Russian prosecutors deny. As he is not in the country, the Russian court tried and sentenced Glukhovsky in absentia.

Glukhovsky worked closely with studio 4A Games on the development of Metro: Last Light. The Ukrainian company, which is developing the highly anticipated next entry in the Metro franchise, relocated from the country to Malta back in 2014 following Russia's annexation of Crimea.

The game industry has become an unexpected part of the war in Ukraine. Russia has been using popular titles such as Minecraft and Roblox to spread propaganda. We've also heard of the Ukraine army using the Steam Deck to control machine gun turrets, and Counter-Strike: Go being used to skirt Putin's media restrictions and inform Russians about the war.

Permalink to story.

I'm curious how a story like this qualifies as "tech" news. I'm equally curious how administrators will react to responses from such a political post. If we're going to discuss blatant restrictions on free speech, we might also mention Ukraine efforts to arrest an expatriate blogger in Spain for criticizing Zelensky, the UK's recent arrest of an autistic teenage girl for claiming someone "looked like a lesbian", or the Biden Administration's recent indictment of Trump on charges of "defrauding the government" for his claims about the 2020 election.

I'm curious how a story like this qualifies as "tech" news. I'm equally curious how administrators will react to responses from such a political post. If we're going to discuss blatant restrictions on free speech, we might also mention Ukraine efforts to arrest an expatriate blogger in Spain for criticizing Zelensky, the UK's recent arrest of an autistic teenage girl for claiming someone "looked like a lesbian", or the Biden Administration's recent indictment of Trump on charges of "defrauding the government" for his claims about the 2020 election.
I guess it constitutes to tech news in the regard that it's a person working for a gaming company? Outside of that, I agree with you, doesn't belong here.

Meanwhile in Ukraine, basically the same exact thing is happening with Gonzalo Lira. The difference is he is not a citizen of Ukraine, but of the US (and Chile). He was arrested for videos posted to YouTube months ago, for the equivalent crime as Dmitry of free speech (mis/disinformation about Ukraine/Russia). It seems this part is undisputed by everyone. The rest is based on his account. He claimed that in prison he was offered up by guards on a platter for other inmates to torture him while they ignored it. He also said the SBU extorted him out of $70k via prison guards.

When he was finally released on bail, he was handed his passport, driver's license and more, and not given an ankle monitor he was supposed to wear. He was told he will be found guilty at his trial the following week and sentenced 5-8 years in a prison labor camp. Instead of waiting around he decided to make a run for it to the border and seek asylum in Hungary. He wasn't sure if he was essentially being told to leave the country or if his attempted escape would be used as a reason to put him in prison (longer). That was the last we heard from him. Here is the full thread he elaborates on his situation:

Comments section smells like whataboutism.

Sadly, places like Russia and Florida will continue to drift towards authoritarianism as long as people keep believing strong leaders will look out for them.

LOL!!1 Best comment on the thread! You made my day!

Here's a hint: authoritarian places/countries are easily spot via migration patterns: lots of people want to get out, only a few connected want to get in (usually as a "temporary" status). Apply that to Russia or Florida and see what comes out. Also, apply the same to California and Ukraine and...

One of the biggest pride of Russians is defeating Nazies.They are now not far away doing the same things. Propoganda? Yes. Destruction of anyone who opposes them or poses a threat? Most definitely. War crimes? They killed adult and kids in a place called Bucha while retreating from Kyev.
Guess how many were tortured or raped before being killed.
They are monsters, just like similar regimes before them.
And that serves as a reminder, Russia is not Ukraine's problem just like Germany was not the problem of her closest neighbors. They must be stopped, their weapons taken away with sanctions and reparations set to be paid for the next 50 years.
Many European leaders who visited Bucha started to work together better, helping Ukraine more while imposing more sanctions on Russia. Everybody calling this a "conflict" must be shown those bodies of poor kids who were killed for what? For an old crazy Russan man who lost his marbles because he spent 20 years with absolute power to expand his borders?
If you followed Russian news, you would understand that todays Russia is not what it was a couple of years ago. It kept changing turning into monstrosity that destroys life tearing off limbs leaving tenth of thousands of people disable for life. It grows bigger, not Russia but the evil it cultivates.
It must be stopped. They have an ability to kill millions of people. They THREATENED to do exactly that. What more do you need to hear?

Oh no, how dare someone pointing out that Russians are pieces of sh*t, it doesn't belong in here!!

Trump's indictment wasn't "recent", they've been investigating for YEARS.

LOL!!1 Best comment on the thread! You made my day!

Here's a hint: authoritarian places/countries are easily spot via migration patterns: lots of people want to get out, only a few connected want to get in (usually as a "temporary" status). Apply that to Russia or Florida and see what comes out. Also, apply the same to California and Ukraine and...

I'll bite, do show me some immigration data from the past 10 years ago that demonstrates that People are breaking down Russia's borders in a frantic attempt to live there. RT doesn't count and the same goes for any government owned media.

the Biden Administration's recent indictment of Trump on charges of "defrauding the government" for his claims about the 2020 election.

Defrauding the government?

Trump was indicted for mishandling classified information after refusing to give back classified info. after leaving office.

He was also indicted for election interference after knowingly spreading election fraud conspiracies...which incited people to riot in the capital.

Note, these are just indictments for more than just speech...as Trump physically possessed and refused to give back classified documents. And the recent transcripts about conversations with Mike Pence, if true, revealed that Trump knew he lost the election but wanted Mike Pence to lie anyways.

These Trump indictments are not actual convictions with a harsh sentence for only speech...so the two situations are not the same as the Russian guy only merely criticized the government.

Something tells me Trump will probably be pardoned or be let off with a slap on the wrist and not spend a single day in jail if he does get convicted.

Last edited:
I can't figure out what this "article" has to do with tech news. It just reads as yellow journalism, the infamous type that Randolph Hearst pushed through his media empire.

I can't figure out what this "article" has to do with tech news. It just reads as yellow journalism, the infamous type that Randolph Hearst pushed through his media empire.
Probably because this is gaming news and this website talks about video games all the time. The guy sentenced to prison helped create a work that became a popular series of video games. This probably means no more Metro games (which are based on his books) will come out.

This is not yellow journalism either...maybe biased news, but not remotely yellow journalism (which is defined as greatly exaggerated sensationalism or fictional sensationalist news).

This article says the creator of Metro was tried and sentenced to prison for criticizing the Russian government. Unless you can show this is untrue, then this article is not exaggerating or fictionalizing anything.

I'll bite, do show me some immigration data from the past 10 years ago that demonstrates that People are breaking down Russia's borders in a frantic attempt to live there. RT doesn't count and the same goes for any government owned media.
I'm far from suggesting that Russia is a great place to live, I'm pretty sure there's migration out of it, like from every other non-western country. My point is that IF the original thesis were to be true, and the Russian government was authoritarian, people would be FLOCKING ANYWHERE (check Venezuela or Cuba). Same with Florida, it would be GREAT for Floridians if people were to hate the place and go somewhere else, but a quick check on the real-estate prices would show you otherwise (Florida wouldn't be a paradise either). The main problem is abusing the words to the point that they stop having meaning. Florida and Russia have problems and you can find all kind of bad adjectives for both places, saying that they're authoritarians just dilutes the meaning of authoritarianism.

Defrauding the government?

Trump was indicted for mishandling classified information after refusing to give back classified info. after leaving office.
The precedent was set by Bill Clinton (perfectly legal), this is known law already. In front of a fair jury/judge this gets dismissed off the cuff, of course that won't happen. BTW, the case now is that he didn't "return them" because otherwise (you just had them) would make Biden ride the same train (the University closet, the garage by the Corvette, maybe others). Same DOJ at the same time, every president that have being there has taken home stuff (it's actually THEIR stuff, if you don't want them having them then don't vote for them).
He was also indicted for election interference after knowingly spreading election fraud conspiracies...which incited people to riot in the capital.
So you CAN´T criticize elections? Did someone tell Hillary on 2016? Gore in 2000? (every looser ever?) or is this a new law?
Something tells me Trump will probably be pardoned or be let off with a slap on the wrist and not spend a single day in jail if he does get convicted.
The best theory that I've heard is that after all the Biden issues come to light, eventually (before 1/20/2025) Joe Biden will "unite the country" by pardoning everyone:
- All the Bidens (apparently just Hunter and him, but maybe the brother too)
- Trump, the olive branch, for "the union"
- Hillary, to put all those "lock her up" issues to rest for good
(maybe more people? TBD)
Under this theory, Trump "can't" be clear by that date, so any and every charge will be brought forth to make this happen.

There's also the theory that by doing this the dems will remove Trump from the ballot, but that's patently illegal (you can run for president from prison), but still "might" be what the whole "plan" is. This is not justice, not when you compare the Hunter Biden treatment: same DOJ, same time, different politics, different attitudes. The term is lawfare, and basically trashes the whole legal system, sadly.

Sadly, places like Russia and Florida will continue to drift towards authoritarianism as long as people keep believing strong leaders will look out for them.
We, smart people, should rely on strong bureaucratic pyramid.

One of the biggest pride of Russians is defeating Nazies.They are now not far away doing the same things. Propoganda? Yes. Destruction of anyone who opposes them or poses a threat? Most definitely. War crimes? They killed adult and kids in a place called Bucha while retreating from Kyev.
Guess how many were tortured or raped before being killed.
They are monsters, just like similar regimes before them.
And that serves as a reminder, Russia is not Ukraine's problem just like Germany was not the problem of her closest neighbors. They must be stopped, their weapons taken away with sanctions and reparations set to be paid for the next 50 years.
Many European leaders who visited Bucha started to work together better, helping Ukraine more while imposing more sanctions on Russia. Everybody calling this a "conflict" must be shown those bodies of poor kids who were killed for what? For an old crazy Russan man who lost his marbles because he spent 20 years with absolute power to expand his borders?
If you followed Russian news, you would understand that todays Russia is not what it was a couple of years ago. It kept changing turning into monstrosity that destroys life tearing off limbs leaving tenth of thousands of people disable for life. It grows bigger, not Russia but the evil it cultivates.
It must be stopped. They have an ability to kill millions of people. They THREATENED to do exactly that. What more do you need to hear?
and when you realize the amount of manipulation, PsyOps and "PR" you've been swallowing for almost two years, you'll freak out.

"Russia's wanted list"...
Does anyone around here know that little thing called Myrotvorets?

Last edited:

I think you rather meant the regulation frenzied California buddy. The Marxist government there is more totalitarian than anywhere in the US. Lenin and his offspring Putin are proud of them.

If I saw that what was done to Ukrainian kids done to yours and called it a psy ops, you would have all the rights to call me a heartless piece of *****.
and that is part of the effect (the one sought) of the PsyOps, Prop & PR.

So you CAN´T criticize elections? Did someone tell Hillary on 2016? Gore in 2000? (every looser ever?) or is this a new law?
You seem to be suffering from badly distorted memories. Hillary Clinton won the popular vote in 2016, but lost the electoral college. She then conceded the election the night it happened.

In comparison to Trump, even Al Gore didn't put on a terribly long running sh!tshow. The current tediously extended black comedy is exclusively the province your pathologically lying, dyed orange, psychopathic, delusional, cult leader.

As for Florida being, "paradise", and, "the place 'woke' goes to die", that's literally true. To the geriatric Republicans there I say, " vos qui morituri ego salutamus". (You who are about to die, (of natural causes), I salute you. Although the 100 degree ocean temps there (**) should make for a great final hot tub session.

(**) Or did Biden make NOAA lie about that too?

Last edited:
I guess it constitutes to tech news in the regard that it's a person working for a gaming company? Outside of that, I agree with you, doesn't belong here.
But yet, these stories that, "shouldn't be here", generally get more "airplay", than the true "computer topics". Like endless rants about how Intel is garbage and building with AMD is next to godliness. Or maybe wonderment about how could anybody live without 120 fps, at 4K.

And lest we not forget, the relentless pissing and moaning about the prices of Nvidia's cards.

I think you rather meant the regulation frenzied California buddy. The Marxist government there is more totalitarian than anywhere in the US. Lenin and his offspring Putin are proud of them.
Nah, I'm pretty sure I meant Florida. You know, the state where the governor is trying to push a defamation law through congress in order to more easily harass journalists who don't tow the party line. The state where democratically elected state attorneys are removed and replaced with stooges. Where voting rights are under targeted assault in so many nefarious ways. Where the government punishes private industry when it dares to disagree with the dear leader. Where books are banned.

A state that shouldn't be celebrated in a country that values freedom.

@Beerfloat The only problem I've noticed with California, is the fact that every conceivable substance on the face of the earth, is "known to California to be a carcinogen".

When the whole European Union AND California agree there are carcinogens (take Aspartame, for example) - but in the US the FDA is too busy bending over for Big Biz (or needs another 50 years of study of Aspartame to decide...) then you know who is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back