Mic is picking up certain applications open, but not the microphone

Hello, as a student I need to have a working microphone to participate in class, but as the title above says, it only picks up certain desktop audio. For example, if I'm in a Zoom meeting, if I unmute the teacher can hear herself and anyone else whos unmuted or if I'm in a Discord call my friends can hear the music playing in the background but not me. I've gone into the settings and messed around with stuff, like disabling/enabling stuff and I've gotten nowhere. I've begun to assume that my microphone plug in place is warped or messed up in a way, but I'm having trouble believing that because I just got this pc. I can hear audio fine, just the microphone that doesnt work right. Thanks in advance for any help.

Is your microphone analog and plugged into the pink hole on the sound card? Any chance you have 2 microphones ...one built into the webcam you are using for Zoom calls?

Really the best way to go when it comes to microphones is to get yourself a USB digital headset with a boom mic. Sound is in the headphones and isolated from your voice. The microphone is usually unidirectional, so it won't pick up background noise and you can also get noise cancelling feature that will further block background noise.

My microphone has 2 plugs, the pink one (Microphone) and the green on (audio) I've made sure that they are split in the realtek settings. This should make it so that my mic audio will be on a different audio track than the desktop. I do not wish to buy a new microphone just because of this issue, if its worked before I think it will work again. Thanks

Green audio is sound output, so if you have it plugged in there expect computer sound to come into the microphone, unless this microphone is a headphone too?

Back