Microsoft acknowledges new Windows 10 update can break some webcams, is working on fix

midian182

Staff member
Facepalm: If you’ve installed the Windows 10 February 2021 cumulative update and found your webcam has stopped working, don’t worry—you’re not alone. Microsoft has acknowledged the issue and is working on a fix.

As reported by Windows Latest, the Windows 10 KB4601319 update released earlier this month—one of the February Patch Tuesday releases—appears to be borking some Intel RealSense Depth and Razer Stargazer cameras.

It’s speculated that the problem is the result of a missing virtual driver when the update is installed. Right now, the only solution is to uninstall the patch, but Microsoft said it is aware of the reports and is working on a solution.

Use a Razer Stargazer? It might not work after installing this update

“Thank you for bringing the issues with Intel Realsense Camera to our attention. We are aware of the issue and are working on a fix. In the meantime, if you need to get your camera working, please follow the instructions on how to remove an installed Windows Update,” a company engineer wrote on Microsoft’s support Feedback Hub.

As is par for the course with Windows 10 updates, KB4601319 has, in some cases, causes as many problems as it addresses. Some users have complained about it impacting their wireless mice, second monitors, and other accessories. There are also incidents of the dreaded Blue Screen of Death.

Earlier this month, we heard that cumulative update KB4598291 was causing broken games, app crashes, and BSODs for some users. Hopefully, Microsoft will soon drop an update that fixes the problems caused by updates released to address issues in previous updates.

Permalink to story.

Imagine a Windows update that didn't break anything
Imagine a Windows where it didn't need to account for the billions of hardware configurations.

It's still relatively impressive that it's as compatible out of the box as it is. You'll always have edge cases with such complexity (and I have yet to come across one in Windows 10 lol).

Last edited:
Ah this is just for that specific pieces of hardware. I've had no issues with my logitech PTZ Pro Camera.

How about a fix to fix the fix?

It's really difficult not to mock Microsoft. They deserve it 101%. It was their stupid thinking that sacking thousands and thousands of software engineers and dismantling whole beta testing division is a good thing before Windows 10 left - nominal - alpha stage.

Last edited:
Once upon a time, there was an OS called Windows 7. You could decide which updates to install, which updates to blacklist, and when you wanted to update, if at all.

R.I.P Windows 7, you are missed dearly. Your descendant (along with chewtiya nadella) has shamed your lineage.

I have lost a lot of interest in new hardware because of bugs with Windows 10 which sometimes cripple my devices and my work.

Imagine a Windows where it didn't need to account for the billions of hardware configurations.
We've had exactly the same thing going back to the late 80's and Windows 3.1. The difference with W10 though is before when Windows was a product that you a customer paid for, we had far better QA tested Service Packs. Today Windows is "free" because you the former customer have become 'the product', you've also become the perpetual unpaid beta tester...

This bug shows that windows 10 2004 version is basically still in beta version quality.
Fortunately, I postpone feature updates for a year in Settings app, so I am still on 1909

Once upon a time, there was an OS called Windows 7. You could decide which updates to install, which updates to blacklist, and when you wanted to update, if at all.

R.I.P Windows 7, you are missed dearly. Your descendant (along with chewtiya nadella) has shamed your lineage.

I have lost a lot of interest in new hardware because of bugs with Windows 10 which sometimes cripple my devices and my work.
Postpone Feature Updates for a year in Settings app.
Security updates is still auto installed

There are a lot more people still using Window 7 than you think, and they're not fretting about missing all the useless bells and whistles that W10 supposedly offers.

Back