Microsoft blocks Windows 10 May 2019 update for PCs with USB storage or SD cards attached

Humza

Staff member
In brief: If you have a PC running Windows 10 with the April 2018 Update (version 1803) or the October 2018 Update (version 1809), you won't be able to get the latest version of Windows unless you remove all attached USB storage devices and SD cards. Disconnect any external media, restart the May 2019 update and you're good to go.

Another day, another reason to be cautious of Windows updates. Microsoft recently published a support document informing users that their PCs might be unable to install the forthcoming May 2019 Update if they have external USB storage devices or SD cards plugged in.

The issue has to do with drive letter configuration of the attached media that can change during the update installation and mess with other drive reassignments or prevent necessary software from properly loading after an upgrade.

Microsoft's temporary solution is to block PCs with such a configuration quoting that "inappropriate drive reassignment can occur on eligible computers that have an external USB device or SD memory card attached during the installation of the May 2019 update. For this reason, these computers are currently blocked from receiving the May 2019 Update."

If you happen to come across this event, Microsoft will display an update blocked error. To get around it, remove any external USB or SD cards and restart your update installation.

Explaining the drive reassignment for external media through an example, Microsoft concludes with a note "The drive reassignment is not limited to removable drives. Internal hard drives can also be affected." Yikes!

The "inappropriate drive reassignment" problem will be addressed in a future Windows 10 servicing update. For Insiders, a fix might be included in build 18877 or later. For now, Microsoft aims to only block PCs running either the April 2018 or October 2018 update. Users running older versions of Windows 10 can directly install the May 2019 Update without any issues.

The update is on track for release next month bringing with it a much awaited feature.

Permalink to story.

Why does it seem that MS is having epic fail after epic fail with Win10? I never had any of these kinds of issues on updates on any previous version of Windows. Another reason of many I will remain on Win7. And now I hear they are going to be spamming me with Win10 upgrade notices on my Win7 in a few months? lovely. Why again do I need to downgrade to Win10?

Why does it seem that MS is having epic fail after epic fail with Win10? I never had any of these kinds of issues on updates on any previous version of Windows. Another reason of many I will remain on Win7. And now I hear they are going to be spamming me with Win10 upgrade notices on my Win7 in a few months? lovely. Why again do I need to downgrade to Win10?
If you think win 10 is downgrade to win 7 then you have no clue about computers.

Also if you think you can make a better OS or know of one, by all means let the world know. Don't say Linux or MacOS, they got their own issues too.
Issues happen, sure at times it sucks but all the OSes have issues. Just like ALL devs that make a game all run into issues that people want fixed now but it's just not that simple or may take time to properly fix.

Issues happen, sure at times it sucks but all the OSes have issues.

Issues happen more frequently with Windows 10. I can think of 1-2 updates for Windows 7 that caused disruptions at work throughout its life cycle (1200+ PC's). With windows 10 it is every 6 months at least.

We have mitigated it somewhat by denying newer releases until the first or second CU but as far as stability is concerned at least, windows 7 was superior.

I do wish there was a simplified non-cloud based version of Windows 10 on a LTS branch; Just a gui that launched the apps I wanted and installed. Oh well, onward to the feature rich, bug laden future with forced upgrade installs of your OS every six months.

Honestly, I don't see why people complain about the Win10 updates so much. Compared to Win7 you've received the equivalent of like 11 service packs, every time packed with features and good changes.

I was an early adopter of 1809 and had zero issues, manage about 150 laptops on various versions 1607,1703,1803,1809 and I have had next to no issues with any of these cumulative updates.

Win 10 had a single service pack (too few) while MS has gone to this 6 month significant update schedule with Win 10 (wayyy too often).

As a dual OS user (Win & Mac), Apple's most annoying business change for OS updates was to a yearly major update schedule, which many people think should be 2 years at a minimum. And then MS goes and one-ups Apple's most annoying feature and intros 6 month major updates. These schedules are a *major* pain from a computer management perspective.

If you think win 10 is downgrade to win 7 then you have no clue about computers.

Also if you think you can make a better OS or know of one, by all means let the world know. Don't say Linux or MacOS, they got their own issues too.
Issues happen, sure at times it sucks but all the OSes have issues. Just like ALL devs that make a game all run into issues that people want fixed now but it's just not that simple or may take time to properly fix.

I fail to see why you clicked Reply to me. You are way out in left field from my post. Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I NEVER said Win10 is a downgrade TO win7. It's a downgrade FROM win7. (as in, I prefer Win7. Win10 is a step back IMO).

Where did I EVER say I could make a better OS? troll. I never mentioned any other OS's either. troll.
I NEVER said there is one without issues. Merely referenced the number of epic fails with Win10. There is a difference between "issue", and what these Win10 updates have been doing - fundamental flaws, of which directly cause productivity and information loss. May not be a "simple" fix, but take the time to not destroy people's work and maybe make up for this forced upgrade. I'm sick of hearing how many computers it's killed.

I'm sorry if my post made you butthurt that someone does not prefer Win10. There are droves of others who think the same.

Issues happen more frequently with Windows 10. I can think of 1-2 updates for Windows 7 that caused disruptions at work throughout its life cycle (1200+ PC's). With windows 10 it is every 6 months at least.

We have mitigated it somewhat by denying newer releases until the first or second CU but as far as stability is concerned at least, windows 7 was superior.

I do wish there was a simplified non-cloud based version of Windows 10 on a LTS branch; Just a gui that launched the apps I wanted and installed. Oh well, onward to the feature rich, bug laden future with forced upgrade installs of your OS every six months.
No windows 7 or 10 has caused me any major disruptions. Maybe for some it has but it also depends on how your computer is being used/setup.
A occassional update here or there may cause some small issues but ive seen that with 7 and 10. Nothing id say was major issue more minor or a annoyance than anything else.

Don't say Linux or MacOS, they got their own issues too.
I've been running openSuSE for so long, I cannot remember when I first started using it, but it is at least 10-years. It has been many, many years since I have had issues with updates that are even remotely as serious as I have had with Windohs 10.

No windows 7 or 10 has caused me any major disruptions. Maybe for some it has but it also depends on how your computer is being used/setup.
A occassional update here or there may cause some small issues but ive seen that with 7 and 10. Nothing id say was major issue more minor or a annoyance than anything else.
It is great that you have not had problems, however, it is a common fallacy to assume your experiences represent everyone's experience.

Doing a search on Windohs 10 failed updates gets a significant number of results - so clearly your experience simply does not match that of many others.

I have had significant issues with Windohs 10 updates - several times breaking critical functions for me, and at least one time, leaving my PC unusable - as the only thing showing after a reboot was the mouse cursor. I do image backup as a standard precaution with Windohs 10 updates. IMO, M$ has reverted the state of updates back to the days of Windohs NT. Updates, service packs in those days, routinely would wind up blue screening.

But, this is not something new. MS always recommends to disconnect devices from your PC for trouble free updating...

I'm starting to think you work for M$. I'm also a bit tired of you tirades about the never ending joy of running Windows 10.

Now it seems that anybody who thinks Win 7 is more worthwhile than 10 is, "clueless about computers".

You know it all, we know nothing, got it. You need a few of your ad hominem posts / imperious proclamations yanked

This is not bad for people who want to update on their own time. Just leave a USB flash drive in. This is month's warning to people that want to update, just remove your flash drive. This is not a sky is falling article.

Honestly, I don't see why people complain about the Win10 updates so much. Compared to Win7 you've received the equivalent of like 11 service packs, every time packed with features and good changes.

I was an early adopter of 1809 and had zero issues, manage about 150 laptops on various versions 1607,1703,1803,1809 and I have had next to no issues with any of these cumulative updates.

No issues here too.

And back to the topic, it's apparent that Microsoft's latest update caused some problems with the above mentioned storage devices attached, hence Microsoft blocked the updates on these machines to prevent the problems. I don't see what is the issue worth grumbling about (again).

And yes... those who don't like to update, can leave these devices attached. Finally those who are against these forced updates have a very good option to opt out automatically. (At least until a later update that can fix this.)

I'm starting to think you work for M$. I'm also a bit tired of you tirades about the never ending joy of running Windows 10.

Now it seems that anybody who thinks Win 7 is more worthwhile than 10 is, "clueless about computers".

You know it all, we know nothing, got it. You need a few of your ad hominem posts / imperious proclamations yanked
Sounds like you need midol or something. Not my fault I don't have issues with my computers.
If people keep on about win 7 being holy than now, its bs. 7 was good and had it's time. 10 is better, its very obvious. Sure it has its issues, can you ever name a OS that doesn't, I'll answer, you can't. No one can.

And I'm starting to think you and a few others don't know anything about computers.

It is great that you have not had problems, however, it is a common fallacy to assume your experiences represent everyone's experience.

Doing a search on Windohs 10 failed updates gets a significant number of results - so clearly your experience simply does not match that of many others.

I have had significant issues with Windohs 10 updates - several times breaking critical functions for me, and at least one time, leaving my PC unusable - as the only thing showing after a reboot was the mouse cursor. I do image backup as a standard precaution with Windohs 10 updates. IMO, M$ has reverted the state of updates back to the days of Windohs NT. Updates, service packs in those days, routinely would wind up blue screening.
I didn't assume, I said I don't have any major issues. I never said there were no issues with 10. I also said it also depends on how you use/setup your computer.
I go by how I and friends know and use computers. They don't have any major issues either. Nor do some users in this forum.

Well sucks that you had major issues, not me or anyone I know in my area or online does.

I fail to see why you clicked Reply to me. You are way out in left field from my post. Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I NEVER said Win10 is a downgrade TO win7. It's a downgrade FROM win7. (as in, I prefer Win7. Win10 is a step back IMO).

Where did I EVER say I could make a better OS? troll. I never mentioned any other OS's either. troll.
I NEVER said there is one without issues. Merely referenced the number of epic fails with Win10. There is a difference between "issue", and what these Win10 updates have been doing - fundamental flaws, of which directly cause productivity and information loss. May not be a "simple" fix, but take the time to not destroy people's work and maybe make up for this forced upgrade. I'm sick of hearing how many computers it's killed.

I'm sorry if my post made you butthurt that someone does not prefer Win10. There are droves of others who think the same.
I said IF. As in IF you were trying to say that.

You are sick of hearing how many win 10 updates killed a computer? LOL
I'm sure a lot of people are sick of the bs that the majority think all issues come from a ms update. It's not always MS fault, user accountability plays a much bigger factor than most realize or care to admit.
You seem to think everyone has these issues, they don't. Again, as I said it just how people use or have their computer setup. Not everyone gets all these issues. That's what you and others need to realize. Tons of people use their computer without running into problems. At least nothing as serious as you have said.

How is it trolling, do you even know what that means? Clearly I wasn't.

I've been running openSuSE for so long, I cannot remember when I first started using it, but it is at least 10-years. It has been many, many years since I have had issues with updates that are even remotely as serious as I have had with Windohs 10.
And yet I and a few users have said they have no issues with 10, going on what 5 yrs now.

As I have said, not everyone has these issues. Some get them, where others don't, never have. Likely do to the fact how their computer is setup/configured. We all do things differently when it comes to computers, especially on use/setup.

I have to admit, I'm also finding it a little weird than on any W10 topic here on Techspot, half the comments end up yours and the other half everyone else's combined. That fanatical level of over-emotional personal obsession isn't normal... In reality, many people observing how much of a walking train-wreck W10 is for updates or year on year stability have been using computers since MS-DOS and before even Windows 1.0 (1987) came into existence and we don't need lectures on who the "real" computer users are for favoring platform stability over marketing driven sparkly bits (or the cheap-*ss way MS have 'evolved' from properly testing Service Packs pre-release to using 'consumers' as involuntary patch beta testers...)

Last edited:
I said IF. As in IF you were trying to say that.

You are sick of hearing how many win 10 updates killed a computer? LOL
I'm sure a lot of people are sick of the bs that the majority think all issues come from a ms update. It's not always MS fault, user accountability plays a much bigger factor than most realize or care to admit.
You seem to think everyone has these issues, they don't. Again, as I said it just how people use or have their computer setup. Not everyone gets all these issues. That's what you and others need to realize. Tons of people use their computer without running into problems. At least nothing as serious as you have said.
You know M$ has an interesting tell. They send out updates that trash certain computers running after market AV programs. Not only that, but they trash the machines which are running the most popular AVs, like Avira, and AVG. Well, the way to avoid that is to run their AV, and you get herded right onto the boxcar. They know exactly what they're doing, sending out updates that trash Win 7, so they can force Windows 10 on you.

Why did "Windows Defender" suck so horribly in the past? Are you deluded enough to think they couldn't get that, (along with DX-12), to work with Windows 7 either? How about if I take a guess, it's because M$ is trying to close up the system. Nadella isn't smart enough to come up with the business model they're trying to implement, he had to steal it from Apple.So, we'll see you at the Apple, whoops, I mean "M$ Store".

The funny thing is, it isn't considered, "racist", to bemoan "Indian call centers". So it should be acceptable when I say, it seems once a month you have the head Indian, (Satya Nadella),at the "M$ call center" ramming more "repairs" down your throat, which you can't opt out of, and may, or may not need.

But then, Americans are stupid and lazy enough to allow Amazon to jamb "Alexa", and Apple's "Siri", into the middle of all their most intimate conversations. It naturally follows .that Americans are stupid enough to get duped into jumping at the chance of having a chance at a "free copy of Windows 10".

As far as M$'s tactics for forcing Windows 10 on people, it exactly jibes with the old principle, that you can always do whatever you want, and apologize later, Which incidentally is exactly what Nadella did, saying something like, "gee we're sorry, we may have gone a bit too far in our zeal to implement our new OS"

But as you pointed out, people such as myself, "don't know squat about computers if we think Windows 7 is better than Windows 10.

Maybe it's you who doesn't know anything about M$'s ruthless business tactics, or you're just plain gullible.

I said IF. As in IF you were trying to say that....[ ].....How is it trolling, do you even know what that means? Clearly I wasn't.
You don't get to make that call.

You can accept that, or know that, "the first sign of anything is denying it.

And saying "IF", has no bearing on it. The "hypothetical defense" is lame, overused, and largely unsuccessful.

For example, if you said to the local constable, "If you weren't a cop, "I'd punch you in the nose". look forward to having to post bail the next morning.

Last edited:
You know M$ has an interesting tell. They send out updates that trash certain computers running after market AV programs. Not only that, but they trash the machines which are running the most popular AVs, like Avira, and AVG. Well, the way to avoid that is to run their AV, and you get herded right onto the boxcar. They know exactly what they're doing, sending out updates that trash Win 7, so they can force Windows 10 on you.

Why did "Windows Defender" suck so horribly in the past? Are you deluded enough to think they couldn't get that, (along with DX-12), to work with Windows 7 either? How about if I take a guess, it's because M$ is trying to close up the system. Nadella isn't smart enough to come up with the business model they're trying to implement, he had to steal it from Apple.So, we'll see you at the Apple, whoops, I mean "M$ Store".

The funny thing is, it isn't considered, "racist", to bemoan "Indian call centers". So it should be acceptable when I say, it seems once a month you have the head Indian, (Satya Nadella),at the "M$ call center" ramming more "repairs" down your throat, which you can't opt out of, and may, or may not need.

But then, Americans are stupid and lazy enough to allow Amazon to jamb "Alexa", and Apple's "Siri", into the middle of all their most intimate conversations. It naturally follows .that Americans are stupid enough to get duped into jumping at the chance of having a chance at a "free copy of Windows 10".

As far as M$'s tactics for forcing Windows 10 on people, it exactly jibes with the old principle, that you can always do whatever you want, and apologize later, Which incidentally is exactly what Nadella did, saying something like, "gee we're sorry, we may have gone a bit too far in our zeal to implement our new OS"

But as you pointed out, people such as myself, "don't know squat about computers if we think Windows 7 is better than Windows 10.

Maybe it's you who doesn't know anything about M$'s ruthless business tactics, or you're just plain gullible.

You don't get to make that call.

You can accept that, or know that, "the first sign of anything is denying it.

And saying "IF", has no bearing on it. The "hypothetical defense" is lame, overused, and largely unsuccessful.

For example, if you said to the local constable, "If you weren't a cop, "I'd punch you in the nose". look forward to having to post bail the next morning.
Now you are going on about business tactics. LOL. You act like its something new. All companies do stuff that people dont like n some do get caught, get punished or sued. Apple, Google and Samsung have all be sued over business practices. Apple and Google force crap all the time on users.

Win 7 isnt better than 10. Never has been. You may like 7 and certain features but that doesnt make it better for all.
Win 10 had a better launch than 7 did. Even had less issues.
Win 7 is over, its had its time. You can always just go use some other OS, otherwise youll be using 10 at some point if you are not already.
You may not like 10 or even hate it but that doesnt mean we all do or should. Crap breaks all the time, its nothing new in computers. MS messed up some updates, a few people go crazy. Apple n Google mess up all the time, why no one really cares, cause the world use MS not those other OSes. Yes it sucks when things dont go right in your world, happens to us all.

Why you worried about trash AVs like Avira or AVG? Did you spend money on them so you feel the need to defend them? No one needs to spend any money on Any av these days.
Defender works just fine as did Windows Security Essentials before it. You dont need anything else. Sure you can use other stuff if you like but it isnt doing anything better in general terms.
Ive yet to see any issues where Defender has caused any problems. Works as it should. I dont run around the net or have a jod that may require higher security. For most, Defender will work just fine.

Last edited:
I have to admit, I'm also finding it a little weird than on any W10 topic here on Techspot, half the comments end up yours and the other half everyone else's combined. That fanatical level of over-emotional personal obsession isn't normal... In reality, many people observing how much of a walking train-wreck W10 is for updates or year on year stability have been using computers since MS-DOS and before even Windows 1.0 (1987) came into existence and we don't need lectures on who the "real" computer users are for favoring platform stability over marketing driven sparkly bits (or the cheap-*ss way MS have 'evolved' from properly testing Service Packs pre-release to using 'consumers' as involuntary patch beta testers...)
What are you babbling about?
Train wreck of win 10 updates LOL. Dude they had a few issues and even then not everyone got those issues. Plenty of users on TS have said they didnt get the issues that some others got.
So you got some issues, boohoo, it aint the first time issues happen, wont be the last either.

Wasnt a lecture genius.
Consumers have been used for beta testing crap for years, it nothing new these days. From games, TVs to computers. No one properly tests anything, they all are allowed to just release crap. Sometimes things get fixed but not always, especially for games. Its hype based aka good pr. Samsung known for some of the best pr. They had issues from '08 to like '11 over TVs. Being sued for various issues. They got out of a lot of those lawsuits when they broke up their company into smaller companies. People could no longer sue Samsung as their TVs were now under Samsung Display not just Samsung Corp. which is what people sued them under.

Apple is no stranger to making its consumers be a test dummy. Since Jobs died, software issues have risen. Testing is just about all but done. Why test when they know the sheep will do it for them for free.

Just cause you dont like 10 or have experienced issues doesnt mean the world does. Cause it doesnt. Plenty of people are happy with 10. It aint perfect, never going to be but it works just fine.

Now you are going on about business tactics. LOL. You act like its something new. All companies do stuff that people dont like n some do get caught, get punished or sued. Apple, Google and Samsung have all be sued over business practices. Apple and Google force crap all the time on users.

Win 7 isnt better than 10. Never has been. You may like 7 and certain features but that doesnt make it better for all.
Win 10 had a better launch than 7 did. Even had less issues.
Win 7 is over, its had its time. You can always just go use some other OS, otherwise youll be using 10 at some point if you are not already.
You may not like 10 or even hate it but that doesnt mean we all do or should. Crap breaks all the time, its nothing new in computers. MS messed up some updates, a few people go crazy. Apple n Google mess up all the time, why no one really cares, cause the world use MS not those other OSes. Yes it sucks when things dont go right in your world, happens to use all.

Why you worried about trash AVs like Avira or AVG? Did you spend money on them so you feel the need to defend them? No one needs to spend any money on Any av these days.
Defender works just fine as did Windows Security Essentials before it. You dont need anything else. Sure you can use other stuff if you like but it isnt doing anything better in general terms.
Ive yet to see any issues where Defender has caused any problems. Works as it should. I dont run around the net or have a jod that may require higher security. For most, Defender will work just fine.
It's Zen really, The baby, the bath water, and the PoS which is Windows 10, all get thrown out as one.

Microsoft engineers are either overworked or getting complacent. Or more than likely the OS has gotten to such a level of complexity now that it is near impossible for mere mortals to foresee and test every contingency and bug.

Back