Microsoft boss teases 'next generation of Windows' is coming 'very soon'

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
TL;DR: Microsoft will not have a Windows 10 presentation at its Build 2021 conference. Instead it will mostly focus on its cloud platforms, Azure, Teams, and developers. However, it did hint that it will "very soon" be announcing the most significant Windows update "the past decade."

Microsoft Build 2021 kicked off today. However, if you were waiting to hear what's next for Windows, you might have to wait a while. Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella said that he has been testing "the next generation of Windows," but the company is not yet ready to reveal it.

"Soon, we will share one of the most significant updates to Windows of the past decade to unlock greater economic opportunity for developers and creators," Nadella said in his Tuesday keynote (below). "I've been self-hosting it over the past several months, and I'm incredibly excited about the next generation of Windows. We look forward to sharing more very soon."

Nadella did not define "very soon," but we can assume that it will not be before Build 2021 concludes this Thursday. He also did not elaborate on what to expect. His use of the term "next generation of Windows" instead of "Windows 10" seems to suggest we are looking at Microsoft's next major installment of its flagship operating system, but that's somewhat speculatory.

However, we do know Microsoft has been remodeling the Windows Store and tweaking its policies over the last several months. The Microsoft boss vaguely referred to the new build's focus on being more developer-friendly.

"Our promise to you is this: we will create more opportunity for every Windows developer today and welcome every creator who is looking for the most innovative, new, open platform to build and distribute and monetize applications."

His comments seem to reiterate the company's sentiment from last October that the Windows app store will favor developers as well as its more recent changes to the Store environment. It may even play a bit with its commissions. However, a lot may ride on how the lawsuit between Epic Games and Apple goes. A decision in Epic's favor could completely change the landscape where app stores are concerned.

Permalink to story.

Linux or Unix-like kernel would be nice: yes it's a big undertaking but quite a bit of Azure already runs on Linux and with so many of the moving pieces being pushed to web apps and cloud stuff anyway, they could do it.

Highly unlikely but at least for devs and Windows Server they should consider it.

More bloatware, more bugs, more crashes.

The first two are a given but crashes are few and far between now for the overwhelming majority of installations. What they desperately need to do is make the UI friendlier, nicer-looking and more intuitive - basically, go back to the Vista days and forward from there. Another great idea would be to include a switch that toggles between basic user, experienced user and power user modes. perahsp most importantly, Microsoft needs to copy one of Apple's good traits for a change and start supporting user privacy. As it stands they are at least as bad as Google in that department and have been called the "most cooperative" when it comes to providing backdoors to governments.

Last edited:
"economic opportunity"?

that sounds ominous, probably means you cant just buy a license outright, some subscription BS, tiers, oh their gonna announce some f***ery alright.
If you're talking about software subscriptions those are already commonplace. Most software licenses now include only a year's worth of updates. Microsoft has been trying to push Windows to that model since long before it was even technologically feasible (seriously, it started during the XP era). The funny thing is I'd probably be OK with it if Windows cost like $40 a year. Its antivirus, while not particularly configurable, is actually on par with many commerical solutions now (although this is as much due to the paid programs getting worse as it is Giant Antisp-err, Windows Defender getting better). I'd also demand more control over my desktop before paying an annual fee. That means absolutely NO spying by default - not one shred of personal info would be passed back to Microsoft servers without my permission.

Small typo:

"the next generation fo Windows,"

Who knows how much work they have done already under W10 to prepare for this move.

As good as Linux kernel is, its still tech from the 70's and I would personally prefer something newer.

As to what Google has done with Fuschia.

"economic opportunity"?

that sounds ominous, probably means you cant just buy a license outright, some subscription BS, tiers, oh their gonna announce some f***ery alright.

I think some sort of Microsoft Store deal is more likely. But it could be tied to a revenue service: Windows 10 subscription for users = certain "free apps" and for devs means participation of that revenue model. Or a Netflix model for Windows if you were. Not unlike what they've got going on with Xbox game pass except for everything.

So Apple finally moves on from macOS 10 (Big Sur is v11), and now Microsoft will move on from windows 10 too? Monkey see monkey do?

Small typo:

Who knows how much work they have done already under W10 to prepare for this move.

As good as Linux kernel is, its still tech from the 70's and I would personally prefer something newer.

As to what Google has done with Fuschia.
Saying the Linux Kernel is tech from the 70's is like saying that processors are just tech from the 50's. While TECHNICALLY correct, so much change has happened since their creation that they really aren't even comparable.

This smells like some walled-garden type lockdown around the app store to "create more opportunity" for developers (and especially for Microsoft commissions) while decreasing usability and value for end users. And of course most likely breaking a ton of existing applications while introducing many new bugs to be discovered by new applications.

Yes, I'm cynical. Doesn't mean I'm wrong.

So Apple finally moves on from macOS 10 (Big Sur is v11), and now Microsoft will move on from windows 10 too? Monkey see monkey do?
lol... to think Microsoft gives a single f%$k about what Apple does on desktop is hilarious... Apple has been and always will be a minor player in desktop (technically post windows era! Apple IIe I guess might count). Same as Linux. Desktop has peaked. The fight was over a long time ago and MS won desktop.

There is nothing Apple can do now on desktop that would suddenly spike desktop popularity back up. And why would they? Most of the market don't want to be confined to a dedicated desk with monitor and keyboard. There are a lot more user friendly interfaces and workflows for everyday Joe. Portable devices is the frontier.

This smells like some walled-garden type lockdown around the app store to "create more opportunity" for developers (and especially for Microsoft commissions) while decreasing usability and value for end users. And of course most likely breaking a ton of existing applications while introducing many new bugs to be discovered by new applications.

Yes, I'm cynical. Doesn't mean I'm wrong.

So you actually use the app store. How quaint.

If you're talking about software subscriptions those are already commonplace. Most software licenses now include only a year's worth of updates. Microsoft has been trying to push Windows to that model since long before it was even technologically feasible (seriously, it started during the XP era). The funny thing is I'd probably be OK with it if Windows cost like $40 a year. Its antivirus, while not particularly configurable, is actually on par with many commerical solutions now (although this is as much due to the paid programs getting worse as it is Giant Antisp-err, Windows Defender getting better). I'd also demand more control over my desktop before paying an annual fee. That means absolutely NO spying by default - not one shred of personal info would be passed back to Microsoft servers without my permission.

This would be an amazing gift to Apple.

Microsoft is already struggling to keep Windows together with tape and baling wire.

Windows runs on obsolete, inefficient and hot-running X86 chips that deliver increasingly poor performance versus Apple’s modern M-series SOCs that are faster, more efficient and lower cost.

And Windows itself is a bloated, inefficient OS with a poor user experience.

About the only argument left for Windows is cost — “sure, it sucks but it is cheap!”

If they go to a subscription model, people will end up paying Microsoft $100 or so a year, turning those $800 Windows laptops into $1,300 laptops when you factor in the software.

That costs more than a MacBook Air and the same as a MacBook Pro — which gives you vastly superior industrial design, a much more stable and usable OS, and of course Apple’s cutting-edge M-series SOC architecture.

Along with an OS that doesn’t require regular payments to remain up-to-date.

The Mac is the desktop counterpart to the mobile OS that most serious smartphone users deploy — iOS. Which will further drive migration away from Windows.

In Google-land, things would also improve quite a bit from a Windows money-grab. Chromebooks integrate well with Google services and Android, and many people will be giving serious consideration to Chrome OS as their next laptop environment.

We could be seeing Windows’ final days.

Back