Microsoft brings more ads to the Windows 11 Start Menu, harassing local account users

midian182

Staff member
A hot potato: It's no secret that Microsoft really, really wants people to use Windows 11. What's the best way to achieve this goal? Judging by the latest dev build, more Start Menu ads that harass people who don't sign in with an official Microsoft account.

Reports arrived in November of Microsoft testing ads, or "notifications," in a Windows 11 Preview Build's Start Menu; Microsoft products appeared in the flyout screen above the Change Account Settings. One of the ads prompted users to back their files up to OneDrive, while another suggests users sign up for a Microsoft Account.

News of the ads brought plenty of justified anger, but not enough to make Microsoft rethink its plans. The Redmond company started sending them out to a few users in March's KB5023778 Preview Build and expanded the practice in last week's Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 23435.

The four ads/notifications are focused on encouraging those who log in with a local account to sign up for an official Microsoft account. They extol the benefits of being able to back up a device, use Microsoft 365, keep security and profile settings in one place, and receive 5GB of free cloud storage for accessing files on the move.

Not surprisingly, Microsoft continuing to force these ads on people has been met with almost universal condemnation. "This is what a monopoly is like adding in things to trick and inconvenience you," wrote one Reddit user (via The Reg). "Whoops I just pushed an update that sets your browser to Edge, have ads as notifications and Teams and OneDrive unable to be removed from the system."

Not everyone has been critical of the ads. One person noted that they would rather put up with these notifications than see Windows turn into a subscription model. Others have pointed out that advertisements for OneDrive appeared in Windows 8 and 10, so this isn't anything new on Microsoft's part – not that it makes it okay.

Not all features that appear in preview builds end up in the full release, but Microsoft is really pushing these ads hard and has been for months now, so it seems we'll probably be getting them soon, whether people like it or not.

In other Windows 11 news, we've heard this month that Microsoft could change the Print Screen key's function to open the snipping tool in the OS. The company is also thinking about letting users force-close apps from the taskbar, and is testing an Edge feature that adds a second taskbar to the desktop (Windows 11 and 10).

Permalink to story.

Hence why I've switched to just always installing the enterprise versions on my PC's as the ads etc. are not there and you can control other annoyances and MS stupidity like auto install and auto restart on updates etc.

(And keys on grey sites are hilariously cheap even for enterprise)

I logged into outlook via web browser on one of my email accounts and they have the top email be an advert for something, it's really annoying. Switching email account to one that has Microsoft 365, its not there. If you click on 'remove ad', you have to sign up to £1.99 Microsoft 365 basic.

I logged into outlook via web browser on one of my email accounts and they have the top email be an advert for something, it's really annoying. Switching email account to one that has Microsoft 365, its not there. If you click on 'remove ad', you have to sign up to £1.99 Microsoft 365 basic.
That’s the most annoying thing, I’ve dealt with it. Fortunately an ad blocker takes care of it and I had to get one again lol. I just hope they don’t screw around with ads on the Authenticator app.

Not everyone has been critical of the ads. One person noted that they would rather put up with these notifications than see Windows turn into a subscription model.

Just based on the image in the story I don't know what this one person is thinking because how is Microsoft making money on these ads when the ones shown are only for Microsoft services? There is no ad revenue.

If the ads were something like "Free 6 months of McAfee with a 1 year subscription." or "Free 6 months of YouTube Premium with a 1 year subscription." Then I could understand that the ad revenue could be an idea behind keeping Windows 11/12 (or whatever the next entry to their OS is) from being subscription based because they have a constant ad revenue coming in. Maybe they will start having ads like this....? Or maybe they already do?

But when all Microsoft is doing is promoting their own software, they're not making any money off the ads. The only time they make money is if someone actually decides to subscribe to the MS service that is being advertised.

This is why I swapped to Linux. Microsoft continues to be more and more aggressive with pushing you towards using Windows their way, which allows for full data collection.

This is why I swapped to Linux. Microsoft continues to be more and more aggressive with pushing you towards using Windows their way, which allows for full data collection.

I think Microsoft Expect People to pay the full price of Windows 11 Pro @ $199 if you are a working professional.

I understand these are promotions for Microsoft cloud services, and thus "ads" in a limited sense, but the headline writer must know that when they choose this word the reader will most likely picture typical display ads such as for a car or a beverage, which is not what this is at least so far.

I'm not defending Microsoft's practices here but not loving clickbait article titles either.

On a related note I finally installed Linux on an old laptop deemed unworthy by Windows 11. I'm liking it just fine for routine tasks so far, and while I haven't put my full dev environment on it yet I know it will handle that too since I've been working in linux VMs and/or WSL for years now.

I think Microsoft Expect People to pay the full price of Windows 11 Pro @ $199 if you are a working professional.
I'm ok with that, and I have a Pro license, but my sense is it hardly turns off all of Microsoft's recent "your desktop is our money maker" practices. My explorer tab left-hand pane is full of links to folders and services I don't want and can find no straight forward way to configure (although I can hide the whole pane at least.)

Or maybe it's much much worse on Home edition and I'm just lucky enough to not know that from personal experience.

This is what people wanted, people wanted free sh*t. They wanted Windows to be free, Android to be free, and so many other things to be free. Well, as we all know, there's no such thing as a free lunch and the ads are coming folks.

Now, the kicker is that if Microsoft allows people to a little bit every year to remove any and all ads like we used to back in the day when we actually bought licenses, I'd support that.

Microsoft is THE B-school case study about how to alienate your customers while still retaining ~90% market share in the world of desktop and laptop computers.

We can all expect registry mods done by very smart people to inhibit the ads.

Ever since the "unauthorized" leak of Windows 11 beta, I have said that Windows 11 was the computer sales act of 2021. Sure enough, computer sales soared during the two-month Black Friday that year. Like any incurable disease, Windows 11 keeps on giving, giving us more ads to interrupt real work. Nice job, Satya!!!

Windows 11 home & Pro are basically ad. and telemetry programs with an OS thrown in as an after thought.

It is incredibly sad that they have pretty much a monopoly. Macs are fine, but not really for business. Linux is a great choice for those who are to prepared to study a wee bit about software.

But the typical user want's to use their PC for fun stuff. You know, browsing email, gaming etc etc, and let the OS get then there seemlessly. No PC skills needed. Nothing wrong with that.

But there are even deeper problems. MS with it's DCH software for almost everything popular for instance the Nvidia control panel. They ruined the pretty decent interface for Real tek audio. (alc 1220 is actually very good, but there is no way with out hacks to download decade old interfaces to use the surprisingly good onboard sound for Realtek on top end motherboards. MS seem incapable of making anything remotely useful for this basic thing.

They now have IMO zero ethics. They know people need windows. Large companies, again the Nvidia example are strong armed into it. They literally have no choice because if they refuse it would be incompatable with Microsoft restrictive software policy.

They are truely a filthy company.

Just based on the image in the story I don't know what this one person is thinking because how is Microsoft making money on these ads when the ones shown are only for Microsoft services? There is no ad revenue.
I agree; however, I don't think advertising is the point. As I see it, data collection and user profiling is the point. It is then this, I'm betting, that they market to anyone willing to pay them for it.

To me, this is more insidious than advertising. They are spying on their users with the intent of marketing the data, or using the data in ways that allow them to try to get to "know" users so that they can market that data to outside entities.

I am betting there is a money making basis to this, and since it is unlikely based on their behavior, that advertising is their money making shtick, data collection and profiling their users is, as I see it, the only remaining money making path for them.

After all, what is sales and marketing. Thinking like a marketer which I am not, what better way to figure out how to get you to buy one of the products I am marketing than by learning everything about you that I can in order to play on those aspects to get you to buy my product even though you may not necessarily need or want my product.

For example, cell phone ads that make the cell phone sexy - obviously aimed at males, or cell phone ads that point out how its an "X"G phone - obviously aimed at the tech geek who has to have the latest "G" string.

My point is that they are profiling their users, and that, IMO, makes it especially dangerous and insidious.

It's just one more Reason I'm moving away from Windows but this time, I'm making the move permanent thanks to Proton and the Steam Deck. It supports almost all of the games I play, so it's a solid option for my gaming needs while MS continues trying to tell me that I don't own the hardware I bought and paid for.

They're doing everything in their power the chase users away. They've already succeeded with Edge and its constant Bing nags, and I'll happily ditch Windows as well, once I find a reliable OneDrive Linux client with files-on-demand support.
Yes, Linux is the answer! Now watch me as I roll my eyes. Reminds me of the old saying: Linux is free if your time is worthless. Also, if you want to play contemporary games then good luck to you!

I'm not seeing any ads on my windows 11 machine. I've had 11 for a while now. Maybe people just don't know how to setup a computer or turn things off.

Yes, Linux is the answer! Now watch me as I roll my eyes. Reminds me of the old saying: Linux is free if your time is worthless. Also, if you want to play contemporary games then good luck to you!
I get the compatibility issue with certain games and applications. I do not understand the "time is worthless" criticism. With years of Windows use under my belt I feel like Microsoft has wasted my time plenty often with unwanted changes I've needed to work around and/or flat out bugs. And when it comes to time-saving tools for power users, I feel like the Linux ecosystem has had an edge there for a long time.

Even if it was true I might retort the trade is that increasingly Windows is free if your privacy and data is worthless.

I agree; however, I don't think advertising is the point. As I see it, data collection and user profiling is the point. It is then this, I'm betting, that they market to anyone willing to pay them for it.

To me, this is more insidious than advertising. They are spying on their users with the intent of marketing the data, or using the data in ways that allow them to try to get to "know" users so that they can market that data to outside entities.

I am betting there is a money making basis to this, and since it is unlikely based on their behavior, that advertising is their money making shtick, data collection and profiling their users is, as I see it, the only remaining money making path for them.

After all, what is sales and marketing. Thinking like a marketer which I am not, what better way to figure out how to get you to buy one of the products I am marketing than by learning everything about you that I can in order to play on those aspects to get you to buy my product even though you may not necessarily need or want my product.

For example, cell phone ads that make the cell phone sexy - obviously aimed at males, or cell phone ads that point out how its an "X"G phone - obviously aimed at the tech geek who has to have the latest "G" string.

My point is that they are profiling their users, and that, IMO, makes it especially dangerous and insidious.
Well put. I feel similar, but you put it better than me.

Back