Microsoft commits to support "Right to Repair"

Daniel Sims

Staff

According to Grist, Microsoft plans to study how increasing access to information and parts for repairing its devices can reduce its carbon footprint. It intends to act on its findings before the end of 2022. That means making repair instruction manuals and parts available outside Microsoft's own authorized repair network. Microsoft reached an agreement with the nonprofit shareholder advocacy group As You Sow, which focuses on environmental and social corporate responsibility.

In June, As You Sow filed a shareholder resolution criticizing Microsoft's device reparability restrictions while Microsoft pledged to reduce its carbon footprint. The argument behind the resolution is that electronic waste is a critical environmental issue and that if consumers are more easily able to repair their devices, they'll throw them away less often.

This week, Microsoft announced it would increase the reparability of its devices in apparent support of the "Right to Repair" movement. Microsoft agreed with a shareholder advocacy group on apparently environmental grounds.

Many companies in recent years have been criticized for only allowing certain vendors to repair the devices they sell, Apple being a primary example. Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak recently expressed support for Right to Repair—a movement maintaining that manufacturers make it easier for customers to repair the products they buy themselves or make repair materials easier for third-party vendors to acquire. The filing from As You Sow criticizes Microsoft's lobbying against federal Right to Repair bills in the US in the past.

iFixit told Grist that shareholder resolutions, like the one from As You Sow, have been effectiveness in prompting climate action.

"We've seen shareholder resolutions become a significant tool for climate activists," iFixit US policy director Kerry Sheehan said. "We're seeing it get adopted in the repair context as well in part because these are very connected."

Permalink to story.

I think all of these things came to late for the environment n climate. If things started say in '90s or earlier but they didn't. I believe the damage was done and is irreversible. The planet will change lets hope humanity will change but it will have to reep what is has done to the planet. Its going to be a long few years coming ahead.

Got a bunch of Surface Books at my work, it'd be nice if MS had this mentality when they made those. They seem like a pain in the *** to repair because all of the glue/tape inside them. I guess a "plan to study" isn't really a call to action or anything though. They'll probably realize that they'll lose profit and scrap the plan.

I think all of these things came to late for the environment n climate. If things started say in '90s or earlier but they didn't. I believe the damage was done and is irreversible. The planet will change lets hope humanity will change but it will have to reep what is has done to the planet. Its going to be a long few years coming ahead.
I still don't think It's too late, but we obviously need to do something ASAP. And, this kills me, but we will probably need the Government's to act unilaterally. Left up to the citizens, the future is very bleak. We Americans have a very long history of cutting our own throats.

I'm not convinced that the right to repair is all that much tied to the environment, but we will see.

I mean, MS is the only company that has mentioned it as a rule so far.

Humanity has done nothing significant to the planet. If humanity disappeared, the earth would be back to original condition within 100 years.

Nothing that modern society has done to the Earth comes close to what Nature itself has done. Consider the great megafauna extinction of 12,000 years ago. Half of all known large mammals disappeared suddenly. Nobody has any idea why it happened.

Or look at the last ice age. 15,000 years ago, there were mile thick glaciers covering much of Canada and northern US and Europe. Sea levels were at least 400 feet lower.

Most people envision global warming as a blistering desert. Nothing could be farther from the truth.
One result of growing carbon dioxide has been an incredible increase in plant growth worldwide.
We also know that higher temps will drive evaporation and rainfall. Carbon dioxide will drive plant growth. Desert areas like North Africa could blossom. Exceptionally cold areas in Siberia, Canada, Greenland, and even Antarctica could become much more livable.

I wouldn't worry too much about any of this. It's beyond our ability to influence.

Humanity has done nothing significant to the planet. If humanity disappeared, the earth would be back to original condition within 100 years.

Nothing that modern society has done to the Earth comes close to what Nature itself has done. Consider the great megafauna extinction of 12,000 years ago. Half of all known large mammals disappeared suddenly. Nobody has any idea why it happened.

Or look at the last ice age. 15,000 years ago, there were mile thick glaciers covering much of Canada and northern US and Europe. Sea levels were at least 400 feet lower.

Most people envision global warming as a blistering desert. Nothing could be farther from the truth.
One result of growing carbon dioxide has been an incredible increase in plant growth worldwide.
We also know that higher temps will drive evaporation and rainfall. Carbon dioxide will drive plant growth. Desert areas like North Africa could blossom. Exceptionally cold areas in Siberia, Canada, Greenland, and even Antarctica could become much more livable.

I wouldn't worry too much about any of this. It's beyond our ability to influence.
So humanity hasn't ruined most of the rain forest? Humanity hasn't caused oil spills ruining/devastating coral refs? Humanity hasn't ruined the ocean with plastics? Last I saw there were 2 plastic sized islands in the oceans. Just pollution in general that last 150-200 years has affected the ozone.

Yes humanity is a virus to the planet. Yes humanity can and needs to change. Yes the planet is also changing naturally and some of what is n will happen for the first time in modern man's history.

Add it all up and you will see that humanity has played apart in our planet. If man had never done half of what has happened, will it of changed anything. I suppose that's a debate one could have but you cannot deny the facts above that humanity has n is destroying part of the planet. Will it solely destroy it, probably not but humanity did mess with the planet. In time the planet will claim whatever it needs to maintain itself, even if it means the end of humanity.

Humanity has done nothing? Yet if we disappeared, the planet would be back to normal in 100 years? That is a contradiction on a massive level. In 2 sentences.

Nothing that modern society has done to the Earth comes close to what Nature itself has done
If nature has done it, its natural. It's a repetition of billions of years. Chemicals have thrown that balance off. Way off.

I am from Pittsburgh. We had a highway project in the late 50s that cleared and constructed Interstate 80. After completion, it was noticed that all weather south of the highway had changed drastically because the clearing created an unnatural cross wind. To this day anyone south of the highway gets much, much less lake effect precipitation than it did before. Now you can look up the I95 corridor for more on the same effect that we have had.

After that, look into the aviation company in Texas that shows a 15% rainfall increase just doing cloud seeding.

Years ago got my sister $99 MS Arc Touch mouse which is their high-end mouse. turns out she got her laptop stolen and I lost the small usb transceiver along with it. Emailed MS and they told me there's nothing I can do. then I learned that had I purchased $15 Logitech mouse, I can remap the mouse into regular dongle or unifying dongle. that's the day I realized that I was a fool for buying a hardware from a software company that is M$.

so yadda yadda yadda, fool me once girl.

And yet here we are, destroying the world.

Why are you stating the obvious? if we cut our emissions 100% the world will return to normal... well... duh

The idea that we haven't done "much" is so flawed that it isn't even worth discussing further since you are denying science by using some random trivia you barely know anything about.

It'll just say this: climate change is real.

Enjoy:

Last edited:
Yes it is! But the fiction I keep hearing is the notion that people are causing it. It is a phenomenon that will take place with or without any efforts on our part.
That is wrong. I can't start a scientific debate here (again), it's not worth my time and I know the result already. You can watch the video above. It should be simple enough to understand.

This should also be easy to understand:

Last edited:

Jesus, you need meds for that depression. The world isn't doomed mate.

Yes it is! But the fiction I keep hearing is the notion that people are causing it. It is a phenomenon that will take place with or without any efforts on our part.
Take it up with NASA. Im sure they can use a good laugh. I'm tired of your right-wing denial of everything you can't shoot at bullshit.

Good for Microsoft but aren't they mostly a software company? They stopped selling smartphones years ago and their Surface laptops are a niche and I never saw one in person.

How many oil spills did they have 10K years ago? Drilling? Clear cutting? Building flood levies?

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The next best time is today.

Back