Microsoft confirms the Windows 10 October 2018 Update is arriving

Greg S

Something to look forward to: Windows 10 is getting its second major update this year right on schedule as October draws closer. Although some new features are subtle, the overall user experience may be greatly improved.

Since the introduction of Windows 10, Microsoft has moved away from large service packs in favor of releasing two major builds each year. At IFA 2018, Microsoft has shared that the next major update will be called the Windows 10 October 2018 Update.

Notable features coming in the next update include a dark mode for File Explorer as well as Cloud Clipboard. Should Cloud Clipboard still not meet your needs, check out 12 alternative clipboard managers. Updates to Notepad that have been included in Insider Preview builds are also expected to officially implemented in the October 2018 update.

Additionally, linking Android phones to your Windows 10 device will become much easier. With the help of the Your Phone app, users will be able to easily access messages and files on their smartphones from the comfort of their Windows machines.

Smarter update procedures will also be enabled to prevent restarts during undesirable time periods. Microsoft has added an AI algorithm to better learn how people actually use their computers so that updates can be installed during times when users are away. Hopefully this will eliminate the frustration of having work interrupted by those pesky updates once and for all.

Microsoft has not given an exact date yet for the delivery of its next major update. Last year, the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update otherwise known as build 1709 arrived on October 17. Server updates are expected to arrive concurrently with updates to client machines.

As the last few changes are being finalized, Microsoft is already working on its next update carrying code name 19H1. This next iteration is expected for April 2019.

Permalink to story.

They need to slow down. I'm still having Intel wifi issues coming out of sleep with the spring 1803 update.

Maybe Intel needs to speed up?

Since it's worked with every other Win 10 semi yearly update I'd have to go with "wrong". Being a network admin I've also had other issues with the 1803 update at work. More so than other semi updates. These updates are not IT friendly.

@NahNood,

When MS Update doesn't install the latest WiFi driver while going to the manufacturer site and getting the latest fixes Win/10 WiFi issues, it indites MS, not Intel or the WiFi chip maker -- DUH! Many many resolved in this way here on TS.

Intel, with every passing week there are new security flaws discovered, just wondering are they still relevant? Oh! wait I almost forgot they're peeps called themselves fanboy.

Maybe Intel needs to speed up?

Since it's worked with every other Win 10 semi yearly update I'd have to go with "wrong". Being a network admin I've also had other issues with the 1803 update at work. More so than other semi updates. These updates are not IT friendly.

FYI hardware needed driver.

I'm still having trouble with the Touchscreen on facebook since the last update as before the update the whole page used to move up out of the way of the on screen keyboard but now it stays where it is without the page moving up so I can't type normally without me altering the keyboard being above what I'm typing on screen and I can't see what I'm typing...

Great, another update that's going to break tons of things and add extra features that are enabled by default that I don't need. Time to grab that update-hammer and smash my already duct-taped together Windows again! I sure can't wait!

UP30AFs.png

Well there goes a couple weeks of my life. There'll be a lengthy tech team meeting some time this week over this news. Effective rates will be in the toilet again for a period too.

File Explorer dark mode, OH YEAH!
Yes on paper it sounds great, but Windows' implementation looks as if someone made it with an etch a sketch and a bucket of black paint. Dark mode on the Mojave (mac OS), from the screenshots that I've seen, looks so much better.

Great. AI to reboot the computer more sneakily, so all my unsaved data will be lost ...better.
They need to stop the entire forced update and reboot nonsense, BECAUSE IT BREAKS STUFF, not make it "better" and more sneaky and more unavoidable.

To delete candy crush,
Right click>> uninstall
Why does my operating system install adware, spyware and when its deleted will reinstall it at a later date without asking you. restarts my computer whenever the hell it wants to and sends massive amounts of data to Microsoft even if you tell it not too. The moment my new laptop installed candy crush without asking me was the same moment I reformatted and put windows 7 on it. Windows 10 will never be installed on a single machine to which I own. Ever.

That is a noble stand to take however just like those that held out with XP, Windows 2000, 98SE and many before and since, you will succumb eventually.

That is a noble stand to take however just like those that held out with XP, Windows 2000, 98SE and many before and since, you will succumb eventually.
Bet you any money I outlast windows 10. Btw plenty of people still running windows 98 in the third world. MDGX and the others at msfn can upgrade 98 to almost 7 functionality. If steam can get linux gaming properly will gladly ditch Microsoft.

27 allows for music an etc. apps from these updates so far. Oh my every time it updates Netflix password gets erased. They need to build in a smart system clean that comes on when the system is idle or before it to make sure the RAM and MS Edge is not running in the background hogging up resources. Cleanings said MS Edge is running do you want to close it to continue. Why is it running I never open it up in the first place. Dark theme is always nice to have..

Back