Microsoft inches past Apple to become the world's most valuable company

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: Microsoft has eclipsed Apple as the world’s most valuable company after the iPhone maker recently missed on revenue expectations for the first time since 2017. The miss, combined with Microsoft’s strong quarterly performance of $45.3 billion in revenue, was enough to turn the tides. As of writing, Microsoft has a market cap of $2.47 trillion, narrowly edging out Apple at $2.45 trillion.

Apple late last week reported record revenue of $83.4 billion for the three-month period ending September 30, but still fell short of Wall Street analysts’ expectations of $84.85 billion. CEO Tim Cook said larger than expected supply constraints cost them around $6 billion, and warned that the company will face even greater supply constraints in the holiday quarter.

Still, Cook expects the December quarter to deliver the largest revenue report in Apple’s history.

Apple launched its iPhone 13 family on September 24, meaning the new phones only had one week to contribute to last quarter's earnings. The holiday quarter will be the true test of the iPhone 13's success, and should highlight just how much of a damper supply chain struggles will have on the company.

Looking at the year to date, Apple’s stock market value is up 14.69 percent and is currently trading at $148.47 per share. Microsoft shares are up 50.98 percent since the beginning of the year, at $328.62 as of writing.

Like Apple, Microsoft also expects to face supply chain issues in the holiday quarter, especially as it relates to its Surface and Xbox lines.

Image credit Patrick Weissenberger, Sigmund

Permalink to story.

I'd like to see Microsoft balance sheet: I am fairly sure that a very healthy size of their pie is tied to Azure cloud services and that's why they're doing better than Apple that even with it's impressive, unprecedented size, can probably only go down from here due to the waxing and waning of the global economy since targeting consumers means you target the people who would be unable to purchase your products far earlier than a business-to-business model.

I'd like to see Microsoft balance sheet: I am fairly sure that a very healthy size of their pie is tied to Azure cloud services and that's why they're doing better than Apple that even with it's impressive, unprecedented size, can probably only go down from here due to the waxing and waning of the global economy since targeting consumers means you target the people who would be unable to purchase your products far earlier than a business-to-business model.
@
''business-to-business model.'
Different planet here D.

2.45 vs. 2.47 trillion? Giving how fast devaluation is running, this data can already be outdated.

Soooo maybe go and check one of their financial reports. They have one every quarter, you know.

Back