Microsoft is set to unveil "what's next for Windows" on June 24

jsilva

Highly anticipated: Microsoft has sent invites to an event on June 24th, at 11:00am ET, asking users to join them "to see what's next for Windows." The event will be hosted by Microsoft's CEO Satya Nadella and Chief Product Officer Panos Panay.

Microsoft teased the "next generation of Windows" during the Build conference a week ago. What will change with the next major Windows release is left for anyone to guess until something official is said about it, however if the Sun Valley enhancements make it to this release, it could mean a significant UI overhaul is on the way, including the revamp of old icons and a floating start menu. A reported massive redesign to the Microsoft Store could also be part of the update.

The supposed graphic overhaul, easier app management and support for unpackaged Win32 apps would surely be welcomed by both users and devs.

With Windows 10X canceled, Microsoft has confirmed it plans to implement some of its features into Windows 10. While we wait for that, you can update your system with the Windows 10 May Update, which brings various quality of life tweaks. This update certainly won't rejuvenate your system, but the included improvements surely are welcome.

If you're interested in watching the reveal of the "next-generation of Windows," set a reminder and tune in on June 24th at 11:00am ET.

Permalink to story.

While I've always liked and likely will always like Windows and MS, a announcement is one thing but implementation is another.

Also we likely won't see these changes til Oct/Nov, if not til Spring of 2022 due to the significant changes. So we could see them this year but I doubt all of them.

Wow, I am so PSYCHED for the next version of Windows

Will it beat the 3 second boot time of Windows XP on a 12 year old computer ?

Will it allow me to run whatever I want ?

Will it allow me to block Microsoft from making changes behind my back ?

Can I block "ALL" Microsoft's spyware ?

Will it prevent ALL malware like my copy of Windows XP has done since 2014 ?

Will it prevent ALL versions of Ransomware like I can do with Windows XP ?

Can I prevent crashes and Bluescreens like my copy of XP has done since 2008 ?

OH DUDE, I am SO PSYCHED for new colors and rounded corners
I hear there might even be a different font, OMG!

What are you totally waiting for in the newest, most fantabulous spyware platform EVER?

TELL ME, I need to know!

Seriously

There must be a reason

Hopefully what’s coming includes less buggy windows updates… over the years I’ve had at least 5 or so updates that either caused blue screens, failure to load, or the explorer.exe shell not loading and just having a black screen. All were automatically applied without my permission and all required me to roll back updates…

To me, software that breaks the system is malware, and the bad part is “Windows Defender” is defenseless against the windows update bugs. I really don’t like Windows, I rather use macOS or even Linux, but I will say the Windows 10 21H2 preview is quite cute in terms of what they’re doing with the icons and so forth.

Let’s see what Microsoft has to say!

Wow, I am so PSYCHED for the next version of Windows

Will it beat the 3 second boot time of Windows XP on a 12 year old computer ?

Will it allow me to run whatever I want ?

Will it allow me to block Microsoft from making changes behind my back ?

Can I block "ALL" Microsoft's spyware ?

Will it prevent ALL malware like my copy of Windows XP has done since 2014 ?

Will it prevent ALL versions of Ransomware like I can do with Windows XP ?

Can I prevent crashes and Bluescreens like my copy of XP has done since 2008 ?

OH DUDE, I am SO PSYCHED for new colors and rounded corners
I hear there might even be a different font, OMG!

What are you totally waiting for in the newest, most fantabulous spyware platform EVER?

TELL ME, I need to know!

Seriously

There must be a reason

You realise MS Windows is not a mandatory install on your PC? Why is it every MS article attracts this sort? Can we not just have educated, balanced and well judged comments, is that too much to ask for from the internet today!

Fix the horrible updates before releasing more buggy features?
and why the heck does winzoze always buldoze our DRIVERS? like it auto install drivers ontop the old ones, even when its DISABLED in gpedit and regedit wtf?!
anyway I disabled auto updates becuse of all the horrbile updates lately, I want a stable system not a system that has a critical bug that is always in a update that AUTO updates

auto updates should just apply to small security updates not system wide things

Honestly. I'm scared already and they've announced nothing yet.

M$ is completely detached from what users really want or they listening only to some hippies smoking joints at Redmond. What we'll get most likely - subscription services, rounded corners, reworked icons, more bloatware, more surveillance (I don't know how they can manage more but they will), forced updates even in Pro and Enterprise.

What most tech community wants - less bloatware, full control over the system, no forced updates on any version of OS, no surveillance, abandon certain compatibility features which are long dead but still clog the code, replace ancient NTFS with something more suitable for NVMe and NAND storage.

In a way Microsoft lying straight in the face. Remember when they said that W10 will be the last Windows OS ever released? So unless they want to change the name... or offer Windows exclusively as a subscription (no release, just lease) hmmm.

"Where do you want to go today?" are you telling me that Microsoft has finally caught up and they are not 15 years behind anymore?
I bet it will be the 39th version of start menu and even more fcked up control panel

You realise MS Windows is not a mandatory install on your PC? Why is it every MS article attracts this sort? Can we not just have educated, balanced and well judged comments, is that too much to ask for from the internet today!
If you want to play triple A games on PC, its mandatory as there is no alternative.

It is such a hateful company. Last week I made the mistake of changing my Skype password. Even now Skype continues to ask me the new password "for my security" every time I try to use Skype in any device. It lost memory. Just hateful mess!

Last edited:
I think MS is just hyping up the next release while actually having nothing interesting to offer for users. Only new visual annoyances which only MS likes and MS Store related tweaks.
Well okay, the latter will help big software makers, since MS' DRM, whatever it is, is strong af. I think worse than Denuvo.

Ever heard of Xbox or PlayStation?
I said if you want to play on PC. Also PC > consoles, can't even compare them mate. Not to mention that there are quite a lot of AAA games not available on consoles at all. So your argument is really really bad one :)

Last edited:
I said if you want to play on PC. Also PC > consoles, can't even compare them mate. Not to mention that there are quite a lot of AAA games not available on consoles at all. So your argument is really really bad one :)
Or, stay with me, maybe I said it badly.
While I agree with you on most everything, what I mean is if anybody hates Windows so badly, then dumping it and using a console for gaming seems like a small price to pay to support the anti Windows message.

But one thing though I don't think any AAA game is not on consoles. Very popular games yes but not AAA.

Or, stay with me, maybe I said it badly.
While I agree with you on most everything, what I mean is if anybody hates Windows so badly, then dumping it and using a console for gaming seems like a small price to pay to support the anti Windows message.

But one thing though I don't think any AAA game is not on consoles. Very popular games yes but not AAA.
1. Xbox is running on modified Windows 10 version and it is manufactured by Microsoft, so if you are anti win 10, is not really an option.
2. There are plenty of AAA games PC exclusive, like World of Warcraft, StarCraft, Guild Wars, League of Legends, DOTA 2, Heroes of the Storm, Eve Online, Total War, Anno series, Civilization series and many many more. Those are all AAA games. What is classified as AAA game you can check on Wikipedia.
3. The most graphical intensive and impressive games run terrible on consoles (despite marketing trying to tell you otherwise). For example RDR2 and AC Odyssey some of their settings are running below the "very low" setting on PC and barely getting 30fps, sometimes 24-25fps.
4. Consoles does not support PC goodies like triple monitors, mods, customization, different third party peripherals (like fly sims controllers and custom dashboards, HDR + VRR + LBR + LFC and so on and so on. Buying games on consoles is also often more expensive.

So as you can see, it is very far from "small price to pay". If you hate windows the only real option is to play on PlayStation, limited by what games you can play with vastly lower experience in technical terms.

1. Xbox is running on modified Windows 10 version and it is manufactured by Microsoft, so if you are anti win 10, is not really an option.
2. There are plenty of AAA games PC exclusive, like World of Warcraft, StarCraft, Guild Wars, League of Legends, DOTA 2, Heroes of the Storm, Eve Online, Total War, Anno series, Civilization series and many many more. Those are all AAA games. What is classified as AAA game you can check on Wikipedia.
3. The most graphical intensive and impressive games run terrible on consoles (despite marketing trying to tell you otherwise). For example RDR2 and AC Odyssey some of their settings are running below the "very low" setting on PC and barely getting 30fps, sometimes 24-25fps.
4. Consoles does not support PC goodies like triple monitors, mods, customization, different third party peripherals (like fly sims controllers and custom dashboards, HDR + VRR + LBR + LFC and so on and so on. Buying games on consoles is also often more expensive.

So as you can see, it is very far from "small price to pay". If you hate windows the only real option is to play on PlayStation, limited by what games you can play with vastly lower experience in technical terms.
Ok then. I'm still not seeing why any game is a must-have.
If I have a deep dislike for Google, I'm not buying an Android phone just for a game.

Ok then. I'm still not seeing why any game is a must-have.
If I have a deep dislike for Google, I'm not buying an Android phone just for a game.
That depends on how much do you want to play some games. Many people who dislike Google and prise Apple, bought android phones to play Fortnite after apple removed it. Andorid may not be their "daily driver" but they have no choice. Also Its not about "any game is a must-have" and this is bad way to put it. I have a friend that play only very realistic and serious car simulator with expensive and custom controllers, that are not available or working for anything but windows. I haven't seen any serious eSport trournament event on consoles too :) So if you are any kind of serious gamer not some real casual that don't care much, and you like RTS or MMO's or simulator games or if you like to play at high details high fps, you really don't have any choice.

Back