Microsoft is updating Notepad for Windows 11 with new visuals and dark mode

jsilva

In brief: It's been a long time since Microsoft updated Notepad, but now that Windows 11 is out, the software giant decided it was time to give some much-deserved love to one of its oldest apps. In Windows 11, Notepad will come with new features, including dark mode, Mica visuals, improved find/replace, and multi-level undo tools.

The last time Notepad received new features was in 2018, when Microsoft introduced new shortcuts and improvements to the find/replace dialog and word-wrap. Since then, the text editor app has stagnated, while fully featured alternatives, most of which are free/freemium like Sublime Text, Notepad++, and Atom kept improving.

However, Microsoft is trying to make up for the lost time, bringing an overhauled UI with round-cornered windows, updated menus, and a new settings page. It's achieved these visuals using Mica, an opaque, dynamic UI in the application backdrop that changes based on the colors of the desktop wallpaper.

Another visual aspect introduced with the new Notepad is dark mode. You can choose to enable it through the settings page, but if you're already using it on Windows 11, the app will inherit the option and use it by default. Besides the dark mode option, users can choose from several font options on the settings page.

Moving on to Notepad's new editing capabilities, Windows 11's text editor will offer a better search/find/replace experience that looks more modern and easier to use. In addition, the software developer also added support for multi-level undo, one of the most requested features by the community.

Microsoft acknowledges the preview version of the text editor still has some bugs that need squashing, but promises to solve them in future releases. The new Notepad app is currently available for Windows 11 Insiders. If you're one of them but can't find it, try to check for updates through Microsoft Store.

Permalink to story.

I guess is useful but I find it hard to decide if I would use it: the updates would be better than nothing specially for people obsessed with dark mode.

But it's still underwhelming compared to Notepad++ as that also gives you line numbers, useful keyboard shortcuts and if you set up the type of code you're using can even help with syntax: for example I set mine at work to default all text to SQL so whenever I copy/paste from other SQL editors and sources it can still catch some mistakes I might have, without even saving it first.

So for me I either need to just use notepad for super quick reading or pasting of text I am using or if I need something more involved, it needs to be at least Notepad++ or so level of functionality this is a weird case of not being useful enough to replace more advanced notepad software so I honestly don't know what's the point of adding more to such a basic tool like notepad.

"However, Microsoft is trying to make up for the lost time, bringing an overhauled UI with round-cornered windows, updated menus, and a new settings page."

Slowly but surely moving back towards the usability of Windows 7.

More cosmetic changes from MS. I feel the developers at MS should not touch anything, in case they break anything on the apps they are working on.

If you are undecided on upgrading to Win 11.
Don't upgrade.

It's largely functional but there are still annoyances all around eg audio/video suddenly going out of sync on latest i7 no less and this issue keeps on coming and going every few updates for some reason, bloatware is much more pronounced, poor interface choices e.g. switching bluetooth devices needs tap on those 3 dots and select connect/disconnect from drop down, volume bar doesn’t how device name unless you click it, battery doesn't even show estimated time remaining, the power saving icon on battery is so poorly designed that below 20% you can't even see battery level......
These are my personal annoyances. Stay away, it's just a reskinned Win 10 with annoying design choices.

Back