Microsoft officially pulls the plug on Windows Phone

By Jos ยท 43 replies
Jul 12, 2017
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft is officially pulling the plug on Windows Phone, meaning the ill-fated mobile operating system will no longer receive software updates or technical support. The decision comes just over 3 years after the latest version (8.1) shipped to users, and while the platform never really gained any significant traction next to iOS and Android, AdDuplex estimates that nearly 80 percent of all Windows-powered phones are still running Windows Phone 7, 8, or 8.1.

Microsoft isn't done with mobile just yet, but Windows 10 Mobile, the mobile extension of its desktop operating system, is not doing particularly well either. As of the end of 2016, all of the various Windows phone operating systems combined had a market share of 0.3%.

With no new flagship Windows 10 Mobile phone expected for the rest of this year and barely any feature updates in the recent Windows 10 Mobile Creators Update, it’s clear that the company is no longer focusing its efforts on Windows for phones. Instead, they are focusing on getting their apps and cloud based services on iOS and Android devices.

CEO Satya Nadella teased earlier this year that the company is still interested in making smartphones, though they may not look like traditional phones.

Permalink to story.

2. MoeJoe

MoeJoe TS Guru Posts: 700   +377

Called it ! (last year in fact...)

Good riddance.

3. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Evangelist Posts: 848   +114

Bring back the Pocket PC then add LTE and Skype.

I don't want a phone. I want a computer in my pocket that can make calls.

Peter Farkas likes this.
  4. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,601   +1,888

They really did f. up Nokia legacy, didn't they?

5. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 2,003   +661

No, that was gone when they let BB and iPhone surpass them and as a last resort, they teamed up with Microsoft, but judging by the 60 seconds it took for the Nokia 6 to sell out, they could be just fine.

VitalyT likes this.
  6. Now if they would only get the phone type stuff out of Windows 10, thinking design elements here

Humza, Nobina, Kenrick and 1 other person like this.
  7. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,601   +1,888

Funny, I only saw that other news after, and was like wait - what?

8. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,952   +203

But then how could you take your desktop computer on an airplane if it does not have airplane mode?
    And before you ask who would do such a thing, well it'd be the husband of this woman of course: https://www.techspot.com/news/70030...rising-portability-imacs-using-one-train.html
    See, it's all for the good of mankind!

9. Kenrick

Kenrick TS Evangelist Posts: 521   +332

RIP Windows in phones. It took them so long to end the suffering of the customers.

10. bmw95

bmw95 TS Maniac Posts: 190   +155

Lol the suffering continues in pretty much every other product they make. If you're a coder though, vscode and visual studio are pretty nice ^^

11. HardReset

HardReset TS Maniac Posts: 494   +150

Hopefully Microsoft continues Windows 10 Mobile. It's much better than Android because security and other updates regularly comes from Microsoft. On the other hand, most Android devices never get single update.

JaredTheDragon likes this.
  12. Theinsanegamer

Theinsanegamer TS Evangelist Posts: 807   +805

Except for all the windows carrier phone that dont get those updates. Or the devices microsoft didnt bother to support.

Windows really isnt any better in mobile then android is. Android also has actual choices, whereas WP10/WM is withered on the vine with barely any hardware available.

13. HardReset

Those problems should be fixed with Windows 10. Generally Microsoft phones had much better update policy than Android and policy right now is even better.

With Android there are actual choices but if you choose wrong, you may end up with less than year old phone that gets no updates. That may happen even if phone was somewhat expensive. It's somewhat mystery why crappy Android is so popular. Well, it's another mystery why Qwerty phones are nowhere to find. Qwerty phones are better than youuseyourpenistocontrol phones on virtually everything else than casual bullshit. Perhaps that reflects how stupid people are nowadays.

14. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,952   +1,286

I really would want a windows 10 phone, but microsoft has half assed every effort in the phone market theyved made, then wondered why it didnt work.

JaredTheDragon likes this.
  15. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 10,840   +896

More interestingly, the MS Phone was the primary motivation FOR WIN/10 GUI :gulp: One source for multiple usage is a huge R&D expense reduction - - too bad the GUI was/is a disaster in the first place.

Giving credit where credit is due, Win/10 is more secure due to a total rewrite of the OS.

16. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 8,647   +3,269

Yeah? So I can safely assume you still use a Win device and have never owned any Android devices. If You buy some obscure, white box Chinese manufactured thing, then possibly, but not if you buy a reputable branded device. That used the case many years ago, when the Dead Sea was still on the critical list.

17. HardReset

Reputable branded devices also had very serious problems with updates. Only Google offers guaranteed Android updates. For any other brands, it's matter of luck. But then there is only one choice...

18. Skidmarksdeluxe

"HAD" is a very good choice of words. Not anymore they don't but I'm only talking about carrier free and unlocked phones, they get updates regularly, even Samsung. My old Sammy 2015 A3 which released with Android 4.4.4 and stopped receiving updates after 7.0.1 and My HTC 10 which shipped with 6.0 is now on 7.1.1. That said, the A3 may receive another Android upgrade but I'm not holding mt breath although it still gets the latest security patches from Samsung. If you buy a phone from a carrier (which nobody should do) then I guess all updates depend on that carrier and that could be very sketchy.

19. JaredTheDragon

JaredTheDragon TS Booster Posts: 168   +85

HardReset likes this.
  20. HardReset

Well, those phones got updates but only for around two years. That's very poor showing and good reason why I won't ever buy Android phone.

21. Skidmarksdeluxe

Your choice, your money. Who cares?

22. Danny101

Danny101 TS Booster Posts: 91   +37

As hardware improves and new software features become sporadic, it makes more sense for manufacturers to put out more updates. But really, hardware manufacturers are less incline to update and just force you to buy a new phone. At this point, I would support a more traditional model like Windows + hardware use to be (tentatively).

It would be nice to be able to buy a phone and choose whatever OS I want (Windows, Android, or Linux) to install. Although I suspect, being mobile, the specs would have to be narrower in scope than traditional computers.

HardReset likes this.
  23. Skidmarksdeluxe

You're almost there. Android is Linux based. If you're brave enough, you can try a custom ROM.

24. HardReset

You must be joking?

25. Skidmarksdeluxe

About what?