Microsoft pulls Windows Phone 7 update amid issues

Jos

Staff

Microsoft's first update for Windows Phone 7 -- released earlier this week -- doesn't add any new features to devices but is needed for the early March update that will finally add copy and paste functionality. Yet, for such a relatively small patch it seems to be causing quite a bit of trouble. According to multiple reports across the web, users are experiencing everything from error codes to completely bricked, unusable phones.

The latter appears to be limited to Samsung devices and Microsoft has already pulled the software until it can fix whatever is causing the troubles. In an email response to WinRumors, the company confirmed it has identified a technical issue with the Windows Phone update process affecting a small number of phones, and says it will begin redistributing the update as soon as possible. For those who haven't been able to resuscitate their device after the update, Microsoft suggest they return to the store where they purchased it and exchange it for a new handset.

The company also published a guide on its website for anyone who is having other types of problems with the update. Using a table to show all error codes, explanations range from the phone not having the correct time and date to making sure your computer is connected to the Internet to ensuring there is enough free disk space.

Permalink to story.

First there were issues with Samsung Android devices. Now more problems with WP7. There should be a warning sign to stay clear of ANY phone made by Samsung. They can make the display as pretty as they want, the guts are still garbage.

hassaan said:
They can make the display as pretty as they want, the guts are still garbage.

And while the guts are garbage, that has nothing to do with this problem.

hassaan said:
First there were issues with Samsung Android devices. Now more problems with WP7. There should be a warning sign to stay clear of ANY phone made by Samsung. They can make the display as pretty as they want, the guts are still garbage.

What are you smoking?
Samsung makes the best single core CPU's out there. Until CES 2011 the Galaxy S series were by far the most powerful android phones.

Do research before making baseless claims. I support your opinion that samsung phones have tons of software issues but to say that they have bad guts is a downright incorrect claim.

So Microsoft fails to update Windows Phone 7's updater which is required to install updates that are coming out in the near future. And there's still not copy and paste. Good work again, Microsoft.

Nima304 said:
So Microsoft fails to update Windows Phone 7's updater which is required to install updates that are coming out in the near future. And there's still not copy and paste. Good work again, Microsoft.

It's kind of funny how this is a good thing about android fragmentation. All the updates are made by the manufacturer. So it isn't "One phone type gets bricked...PULL THE UPDATE!"

Princeton said:
Nima304 said:

It's kind of funny how this is a good thing about android fragmentation. All the updates are made by the manufacturer. So it isn't "One phone type gets bricked...PULL THE UPDATE!"

MS has strict standards with WP7. I blame MS for this, not hte manufacturer . good thing I was too lazy to update my quantum...

There's nothing good about Android fragmentation, and it's the sole reason why I passed on Android. Also there is nothing good about owning a samsung phone, which is why I went LG.

You wouldn't believe the amount of software issue I've had with samsung in the past, and they weren't ever acknowledged. My girl still has to reboot her phone multiple times a day.

chazz said:
There's nothing good about Android fragmentation, and it's the sole reason why I passed on Android. Also there is nothing good about owning a samsung phone, which is why I went LG.

You wouldn't believe the amount of software issue I've had with samsung in the past, and they weren't ever acknowledged. My girl still has to reboot her phone multiple times a day.

wahaha. Implying that lucky goldstar is any better. Just so you know the nexus S is a samsung phone and no other phone on the market can compare to it. Super AMOLED screen with stock android and no bloatware.

Princeton said:
wahaha. Implying that lucky goldstar is any better. Just so you know the nexus S is a samsung phone and no other phone on the market can compare to it. Super AMOLED screen with stock android and no bloatware.

I was waiting for the new nexus to come out so I could hop on the Android train, then it was announced that it's a samsung phone. It works out for some people but Samsung will only get my money from their TVs.

This doesnt look good. Apparently carriers have the option of skipping patchs - they can skip one but have to take the second which would contain the missed one. Still not that happy as I would hope when a patch is ready it would be tested then shipped to me but doesnt seem the case. At least I have not heard bad stories about O2 delaying patching too much so fingers crossed.

This is a PR cockup tho. The best thing MS can do is come clean when they find the reason for the bricking - tell people what went wrong and why and do not try to hide it. Sure WP7 will survive but its given alot of people ammunition to throw at MS and in this case you cannot blame them. If it was apple I would have already taken the piss.

I like my LG 22inch tft and my LG 26inch lcd telly (nearly 4 years old now with no problems). I have yet to buy any of their phones. Owned old nokias then HTC and iPhone and back to HTC with HD7

chazz said:
Princeton said:

I was waiting for the new nexus to come out so I could hop on the Android train, then it was announced that it's a samsung phone. It works out for some people but Samsung will only get my money from their TVs.

What does it matter? You get support from google, not samsung. You get hardware from samsung which happens to be the best on the market, and you get a pure os from google. What's the problem?

Yeah this whole update thing is a definitely a big bummer. I haven't gotten any notification on my Samsung Focus for an update. If there is going to be a botched up though, I'm glad it's this one and (hopefully) not the first important update that is just around the corner.

Princeton said:

What does it matter? You get support from google, not samsung. You get hardware from samsung which happens to be the best on the market, and you get a pure os from google. What's the problem?

You do realize that all windows phones are just the bare OS right? The samsung devices are bricking. And researching phones I've read of very similar problems to my old samsung phone for the windows handsets. Their specs are nice and their screen is amazing, but I still won't touch it.

chazz said:
Princeton said:

You do realize that all windows phones are just the bare OS right? The samsung devices are bricking. And researching phones I've read of very similar problems to my old samsung phone for the windows handsets. Their specs are nice and their screen is amazing, but I still won't touch it.

I understand that. You still haven't answered why you would still care that the NEXUS S is made by samsung.

I thought I did. Samsung, in my experience, does very badly when it comes to phones. They also, in my experience, make kick *** Televisions.

The nexus appealed to me because manufacturer's have no say in updating the OS, Google does. But not on a Samsung phone.

I have a crappy Nokia 2730 phone just for calls / text messaging and it has not failed me once. I cannot take a chance for my phone to crash, break, etc as my cell is very important in my line of work. I have an iPad, iPod touch, and a number of computers to fit my every need.

I support customers on a daily basis whether it's BlackBerry, Apple, Samsung or any other smartphone. It WILL fail, and when it does, you are in big trouble if you cannot use your phone for the most basic purpose.

What do you really expect when you put a very complex operating system a piece of crap underpowered phone???

Nima304 said:

Although others has touched it, but the issue ONLY arises on Samsung phones, and I have been using SGS for a while now; and the issues I faced with this device should then automatically make me conclude that it is all 'Google's fault that it doesn't work as it should?' Which is pretty stupid argument.

Lets put it this way, since I've replaced crapware samsung put on it and tweaked things around, things has been much better; and I wouldn't be surprised that in the end it is something at samsung's which may be causing this.

Back