Microsoft releases first Windows Phone 7 update

Jos

Staff

Microsoft has started rolling out the first update for Windows Phone 7. Unfortunately for early buyers, this is not the long-awaited copy-and-paste update but rather an update for Windows Phone 7's update mechanism itself, which will pave the way "for all future goodie-filled updates to your phone, such as copy and paste or improved Marketplace search."

The software update that will bring those new features along other performance improvements is schedule to arrive in early March, with a much larger update, codenamed Mango, set to arrive a few months later adding things like multitasking support for third-party applications and improved browsing through IE9.

Microsoft will be pushing out this minor update gradually over the coming days. It will not be available over-the-air; instead users will receive a message letting them know when it is available to them, after which they will need to connect their phones to their PCs or Macs and download it via the respective client software. A backup will be made prior installation. Microsoft also published an update history page to help users keep track of changes and new features.

Permalink to story.

Nima304 said:
Still no copy/paste? Great work, Microsoft.

Congratulations. You refused to read the article.

iOS and android don't get updates every week. Why should microsoft be expected to?

I blame the title of the article. "Microsoft releases minor update in preparation for proper patch in March" would have been more suitable but less people would have read the article. This title will get to the top of the google searches quicker.

"Microsoft releases first Windows Phone 7 update" has everyone with Windows Phone going "ooh" then "Microsoft has started rolling out the first update for Windows Phone 7. Unfortunately for early buyers, this is not the long-awaited copy-and-paste update" sends you the other way.

Cheap writing really. Designed to disappoint. Agenda against Windows phone or Microsoft in general? Maybe not but pretty much sucks. I don't need to know a patch isn't the one I expect when the one I know about is due in March and its still February. "Microsoft release early patch for Windows Phone 7 Updater". There. Thats snappier. But less hits on the ol google-o-meter.

Ars Technica got it right tho.

"Windows Phone 7 update updates updater"

brilliant. and no bs.

Haha, I was thinking along the same lines as Ars Technica, I guess... I just told one of my co-workers that they should expect a "pre-update updater update" soon.

Cheap title to attract clicks...

I might have to start reading Ars more often.

Keep it pro, Techspot, keep it pro.

lawfer said:
Cheap title to attract clicks...

I might have to start reading Ars more often.

Keep it pro, Techspot, keep it pro.

Next up. Review of the leaked Bulletstorm game.

Wow. I can't believe so many people are complaining about the title to an article that takes 10 seconds to read. Yukka's rant is almost as long as the article. Come on people... it's a generalized title that sums up what the article is about. If you have any interest in the topic of the article, it's your responsibility to give it a read to find out the details.

treeski said:
Wow. I can't believe so many people are complaining about the title to an article that takes 10 seconds to read. Yukka's rant is almost as long as the article. Come on people... it's a generalized title that sums up what the article is about. If you have any interest in the topic of the article, it's your responsibility to give it a read to find out the details.

It was a good rant. I enjoyed typing it. I was only going to respond to explain why someone wrote "Still no copy/paste? Great work, Microsoft." straight away in the comments cos the title ends up working like bait. In this case it was very successful at attracting an anti-microsoft flavour troll straight away. Me, I thought "ah the patch is out early - good old techspot". Ah well.

Nima304 said:

Im no microsoft hater, I only own windows pc's and hate apple, but I agree. Considering the market and consumer base/needs/wants, the release of windows 7 phones is a complete failure in my eyes. I sell contract phones at bestbuy and since the release I cant recall ever selling one device that used their new OS. Nor is there anybody coming in asking about those devices. Customers come in asking, "I want a smartphone and have heard droid and iphones are good, what can you tell me about them?"

Windows has no presense at all, which shows for their marketing campaign for them. Then for the few phones they have sold they cant even rapidly get them up to par with their competion. For one, they still cant do flash which android does, and second their app selection blows which apple owns in that category.

So why would I sell you as a consumer something I know you will most likely not be happy with and end up returning, wasting both of our time? End of story.

Princeton said:
iOS and android don't get updates every week. Why should microsoft be expected to?

It's true. An update about every 2 months or so would probably be about right though.

Microsoft is still trying to 'feel it out' and will be for some time, so being responsive with updates is key. Glaring omissions such as "copy and paste" are silly though, but even so, easily remedied with an update. I hope Microsoft has the good sense to realize they are on to something here and give it the attention and effort it deserves.

arod916 said:
Im no microsoft hater, I only own windows pc's and hate apple, but I agree. Considering the market and consumer base/needs/wants, the release of windows 7 phones is a complete failure in my eyes. I sell contract phones at bestbuy and since the release I cant recall ever selling one device that used their new OS. Nor is there anybody coming in asking about those devices. Customers come in asking, "I want a smartphone and have heard droid and iphones are good, what can you tell me about them?"

Windows has no presense at all, which shows for their marketing campaign for them. Then for the few phones they have sold they cant even rapidly get them up to par with their competion. For one, they still cant do flash which android does, and second their app selection blows which apple owns in that category.

So why would I sell you as a consumer something I know you will most likely not be happy with and end up returning, wasting both of our time? End of story.

Are we still considering the current stage to be the "launch of windows phone"? The launch back in October was quiet - in the UK O2 had HD7 phones on display and posters in shop windows but if you go into the shop the single WP7 phone they have is in a mix of android phones and not easy to spot.

But Nokia seem to think its a good enough platform to develop for, there are an increasing number of applications in the store and it does a number of things very well. I really like the email client and the web browser. Its got decent battery life (as all phones you need to leave 3G off unless you want to run out of juice within a day) and the interface is quite smart.

I don't sell them but I am quite happy with mine apart from the lack of multitasking and copy/paste which are in the pipeline. Would I have prefered these features in a patch sooner? Yes. Would I have prefered to buy an Android phone? Well no - the wireless at the Uni I work at uses a proxy server so I would have been unable to use the wireless at work with Android 2.2 which would have been terrible.

Copy/paste or the ability to add proxy server settings - right now WP7 wins for me. I am also pissed off with breaking iPhones - whoever thought "glass - thats a hardy material to make **** with" must have been drunk.

arod916 said:
Nima304 said:

Yo dawg, I heard you like updates, so we released an update intended to update the updater so you can update the update when its ready to be updated. But if you don't update the updater with this recent update, you won't be able to update because your updater will need the recent update to update to the version required to get the update to be able to be updated.

arod916 said:
Nima304 said:

No offense but, you work at Best Buy. You sell your customers Monster cables, how can I be convinced that you care about whats best for your customers instead of what makes you the most money?

chazz said:
arod916 said:
Nima304 said:

No offense but, you work at Best Buy. You sell your customers Monster cables, how can I be convinced that you care about whats best for your customers instead of what makes you the most money?

That's awful presumptuous. He's on the 'front line,' so his opinion has considerable merit.

People are coming in asking for an iPhone or a phone with Android. Why would it be worth his time trying to persuade people to try a Windows option when they haven't heard of it? His time is money, and convincing people to use a different device means fewer sales; ultimately, it shouldn't be his job to care what device is best and push it, but instead Microsoft and its partners.

DokKRokken said:
chazz said:
arod916 said:
Nima304 said:

That's awful presumptuous. He's on the 'front line,' so his opinion has considerable merit.

People are coming in asking for an iPhone or a phone with Android. Why would it be worth his time trying to persuade people to try a Windows option when they haven't heard of it? His time is money, and convincing people to use a different device means fewer sales; ultimately, it shouldn't be his job to care what device is best and push it, but instead Microsoft and its partners.

Thanks for the help, on that. Plus I dont even care what phone you get, I dont earn commision for sales like AT&T sales people who will push you an Iphone every chance they get since they earn twice the commision selling them.

With that monster cable comment, you must be one of those customers we just hate every moment we have to deal with you. We don't earn commission, we can care less if you want Monster cables or not, but they honestly are more durable than cheaper stuff. If you don't want the cables just buy the cheapos from amazon or ebay, cause your that same type that also wants to price match everything possible. Go to walmart if you want low prices, and while your there trying find somebody to get advice from, make sure they speak english as well.

You are a sales representative and you resent customers price matching to get the best deal give the current economic climate? Wow I am going to listen to more of what you have to say oh Wise one!! lol

arod916 said:

With that monster cable comment, you must be one of those customers we just hate every moment we have to deal with you. We don't earn commission, we can care less if you want Monster cables or not, but they honestly are more durable than cheaper stuff. If you don't want the cables just buy the cheapos from amazon or ebay, cause your that same type that also wants to price match everything possible. Go to walmart if you want low prices, and while your there trying find somebody to get advice from, make sure they speak english as well.

Not referring to commission at all. I've had plenty of Best Buy employees try to sell Monster cables to several of my family members while I was present. The things they said was laughable. You can get extra strength cables for 10% the monster price.

I'm not sure where this price matching comment came from. I actually do most of my shopping online, You know amazon or newegg, where I can get the same processor for 70 bucks less and not deal with best buy's love for their customers.

But, I had a serious question. 100 bucks for and HDMI cable, and this is sold to almost everyone who buys a tv there. What makes your assessment of customer empathy valid? You seem to have a lot of descent from your response.

arod916 said:
Monster cables they honestly are more durable than cheaper stuff.

Sorry bud. This was dis proven back in 2008. All that's different about the cables is the label on the ends. I'll make sure if I ever visit the best buy you work at not to deal with you. I prefer people with at least a moderate understanding of the tech they're trying to push.

But again you guys are the people who set up things like this,

http://hd.engadget.com/2007/12/17/hdmi-cable-scam-used-to-fool-in-store-customers/

EDIT: Actually the real question is who shops at bestbuy?

Back