Microsoft reminds us that Internet Explorer is being killed off on June 15

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Microsoft is once again warning the few organizations and people who still use Internet Explorer that the browser is going away permanently in a few months. However, the ancient software will live on as an IE Mode in Edge—for a while, at least.

Microsoft last May announced that it would be killing off Internet Explorer in its traditional form this year. The announcement came as little surprise, given that a year earlier, the company said it would be dropping support for the browser in Microsoft 365 and it started redirecting some websites from IE to Edge a few months later.

Now, the Redmond firm has published an FAQ reminding people that Internet Explorer is being retired. The desktop app will go out of support on June 15, 2022, on the most recent versions of Windows 10. Soon after that, Microsoft will push out a Windows Update that completely removes Internet Explorer from Windows 10 devices altogether and redirects users to Edge if they try to access the app.

Microsoft understands there are those who still rely on IE for compatibility or purely nostalgic reasons. The company is pointing that small group to Internet Explorer mode in Microsoft Edge, which allows access to legacy Internet Explorer-based websites and applications directly from the Chromium-based newer browser.

It appears that Microsoft expects certain entities to require IE access for some time yet; Internet Explorer Mode in Edge will be supported through at least 2029. But Windows 8.1 users will see the end of IE Mode on January 10, 2023, and Windows 7's Extended Security Update users lose it on January 15, 2023.

According to Statcounter, IE still retains a 1.14% share of the desktop browser global market share, while Edge is on 9.6%. Expect Internet Explorer's numbers to drop even further later this year.

Permalink to story.

I doubt it. I believe even if you try to run the IE shortcut it will run Edge. MS will probably handle it thorough updates.

One of our manufacturer support websites still does not print correctly in anything but vanilla IE (doesn't even work in IE mode on Edge), and up until 6 months ago was still using ActiveX... A vendor did not make their site page layouts Blink engine friendly until the beginning of the year... #pain

One of our manufacturer support websites still does not print correctly in anything but vanilla IE (doesn't even work in IE mode on Edge), and up until 6 months ago was still using ActiveX... A vendor did not make their site page layouts Blink engine friendly until the beginning of the year... #pain

Same issue. Tech guy here. One of our vendors writes their service/parts manuals etc that ONLY work in IE.

Same issue. Tech guy here. One of our vendors writes their service/parts manuals etc that ONLY work in IE.
oh yeah, we have that problem too where they are scripted PDF files, so they -only- work in Adobe Reader proper, or the ActiveX plugin version of it. Now I know more recent versions of Reader DC sometimes will let you install the helper extension that allows you to open Adobe Reader DC directly in the browser, but the problem is "sometimes". Even with a fresh install of both it doesn't always offer it and it's problematic (and annoying).

Printing from a web page is anything but WYSIWIG, whether IE or otherwise. Just print a fairly busy web page from Chrome, Edge Chromium, Firefox, Opera, Brave and Tor and compare the results you get.

Printing from a web page is anything but WYSIWIG, whether IE or otherwise. Just print a fairly busy web page from Chrome, Edge Chromium, Firefox, Opera, Brave and Tor and compare the results you get.
I understand that, but it doesn't matter when the manufacturer requires you to print from their site for support material that they often make you turn in, and the three(well five I guess) modern browsers I tried all treats the visible space of a page as the whole page (Chrome, Chromium Edge w/ and w/o IE Mode, old Edge, Firefox) as opposed to the contents of that page (IE11). Also, it's been a problem for at least 7 years but they've just ignored it and said "we only support IE for the site."

The reckoning will be funny to watch (but not fun to deal with) if they don't fix it soon enough and Microsoft starts actively removing IE.

I understand that, but it doesn't matter when the manufacturer requires you to print from their site for support material that they often make you turn in, and the three(well five I guess) modern browsers I tried all treats the visible space of a page as the whole page
Can't you use a screen cap app, and print from that?

Well, some people do something similar to that, where they will scroll down the page, print, scroll some more, print... Annoying but doable with a 1-3 page document, but when the document is 30 pages long... =/

Well, some people do something similar to that, where they will scroll down the page, print, scroll some more, print... Annoying but doable with a 1-3 page document, but when the document is 30 pages long... =/

Take a look at the Nimbuscapture extension for Chromium-based browsers and Mozilla. It can basically automate the process of print screening long webpages, and saves the entire page as a single jpeg or png file (it has many other features but this is what I use it for).

Another option that can aid immensely in proper web page printing is to use extensions like "Page Eraser", "Click to remove element" or "Remove HTML Elements". You can use these extensions to shape the webpage into a print-friendly format. They work well with most sites, and I use them a lot to help me archive web pages in .pdf format (I shape them using these tools and then print the pages to pdf).

Back