Microsoft replaces Windows 10 update with one that doesn't kill system performance

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: Microsoft has replaced a forced Windows 10 update that was killing system performance and boot times for several users. It arrived back in May, replacing the old Edge browser with the new Chromium-based version, but the issues it introduced have forced Microsoft to act.

As we reported earlier this year, Microsoft pushed out the Windows 10 KB4559309 update that automatically updated Edge to the well-reviewed Chromium-powered incarnation, which Microsoft confirmed back in December 2018.

As is the case with so many Windows 10 updates, it brought a slew of problems for a number of users. These included, but were not limited to, laggy performance, lower fps counts in games, boot times up to 3x slower, and external hard drives not working. “This update has essentially rendered my brand new computer useless,” wrote one user.

As reported by Windows Latest, the Windows 10 KB4559309 update is pushed out automatically, so opting out means using advanced tools designed for business customers. And those who were forced to install the patch can't uninstall it as the option is greyed out.

Microsoft has listened to user feedback and acknowledged the problems. The Redmond firm has replaced the update with a different one—KB4576754—which so far appears to be installing without introducing unwanted issues.

“This update replaces previously released updates KB4541301, KB4541302 and KB4559309,” the company writes.

Like the update it replaces, KB4576754 installs automatically. For those who’ve yet to download the latest update and would prefer not to, it can be stopped by manually downloading and installing the latest version of Edge, modifying the Registry, or using the Blocker Toolkit.

Permalink to story.

10 has been a disaster, can't we go back to an OS that works better than Win 10, like Vista, WinMe or anything that isn't Windows 10? Thank god I've still got my Windows 7 disks
W7 won't help you. MS stopped all security updates in January, it is essentially an orphaned OS. Even previous updates are hard to get at; because MS' servers are clogged handling later OS logjams, W7 has been dropped to the bottom of the priority list: you can spend hours and up to days looking at update progress that never happens, and even worse get a system-freeze.

Good luck, or get a Mac. For all its idiocies, Apple rarely suffers this sort of problem.

Aside from Windows Update there are way less issues with Windows 10. I don't care for the start menu, but I don't have to use it either. Sure Microsoft Edge sucks, but I don't have to use that either. General rule of thumb; if there is a third party application, use it because it will be better.

If you filter through all the BS added baggage, the base OS doesn't have that many issues. It is the added baggage that gives the OS a bad name.

Ah, that old myth? I'm locked down, the only way onto my computer would be stupidity on my part.

10 is a constant battle, if it wasn't for VR gaming I'd not use the thing, 7 just "works", no fighting, no updates which crash the PC it works. If you like 10 and all it's problems then fine, but please don't try to say 7 isn't safe because that's obtuse

W7 won't help you. MS stopped all security updates in January, it is essentially an orphaned OS. Even previous updates are hard to get at; because MS' servers are clogged handling later OS logjams, W7 has been dropped to the bottom of the priority list: you can spend hours and up to days looking at update progress that never happens, and even worse get a system-freeze.

Good luck, or get a Mac. For all its idiocies, Apple rarely suffers this sort of problem.

Aside from Windows Update there are way less issues with Windows 10. I don't care for the start menu, but I don't have to use it either. Sure Microsoft Edge sucks, but I don't have to use that either. General rule of thumb; if there is a third party application, use it because it will be better.

If you filter through all the BS added baggage, the base OS doesn't have that many issues. It is the added baggage that gives the OS a bad name.

Way less issues? Yeah right

After the last update, I have a hard times to recover a lot of things that worked only with the old Edge
ty M$

also ,why there is no "second party application"?
explain to the noob plz :)

I like 10 and dont have any issues at this time. Ive rarely had any issues in the past 5 years with 10.
As MS and some sites say, not everyone gets these issues and I havent.

Do I miss 7, not really as not much has changed for me. Sure I had to figure where somethings went but they are still there. Overall im fine with 10. Working as it should for me.

A simple solution that makes all systems problem free from any Windows Update.
Easy to remember, only three words.

BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP !!!

What I would really like to see is MS providing Android equivalent "rooted" version of Windows where one can quarantine bull**** built in application one is NEVER going to use. I don't need "searchui", Skype or Cortana. I have my own alternate apps that I have been using for 20 odd years.

What they might want to do is pay more attention and devote real resources to improving explorer to make it bullet proof. What they also need to do is NOT overwrite and remove my own customisations on every update !!!.

Also stop screwing around with switches for CLI executed applications like netsh for absolutely no reason at all.

You could run Windows in VirtualBox in both Mac and Linux systems. I'd install Windows 7 in a VirtualBox setup and only add what apps I need and I could still run non-MS virus checkers. malware checkers, etc. The rest could run native on the Mac or Linux system with a greater degree of security, which seems Microsoft has regressed (so many more security patches than I recall on Windows 7).

BTW, with MS supporting more Linux functionality, I wouldn't be surprised that after Windows 10, they resort to selling just a Windows Desktop (to run on top of Linux - provides all the support needed to run other Microsoft applications like Office - which has gone SAAS anyway). This could end up being a cost savings for them - no more maintaining the core OS.

I like 10 and dont have any issues at this time. Ive rarely had any issues in the past 5 years with 10.
As MS and some sites say, not everyone gets these issues and I havent.
Do I miss 7, not really as not much has changed for me. Sure I had to figure where somethings went but they are still there. Overall im fine with 10. Working as it should for me.
Consider yourself lucky. Nearly every update has changed some of my settings. An update near the end of June, took my system out to an unrecoverable state. While I had all my data and personal stuff backed up (regularly), everything else that was carried over when I updated from Windows 7 was lost and the only way to get it back is to reinstall my last Windows 7 backup (which I did before the upgrade). Then re-upgrade to Windows 10 and hope all carries over with it. Then go back and reinstall all the latest updates to everything else I was running. BTW, an application I had that was running fine before that June update and now won't run anymore. I have seen "tons" of people having similar issues like this in postings on other sites - a lot of frustration out there with Windows 10.

Yawn, how about telling some news about Micro$lops update, like when it really works? We know that each and every update has some bug in it. Maybe next time we can read headlines like, "M$ update really works!"
in the mean time, my reply is just business as usual, M$ is making money, we suffer......

Consider yourself lucky. Nearly every update has changed some of my settings. An update near the end of June, took my system out to an unrecoverable state. While I had all my data and personal stuff backed up (regularly), everything else that was carried over when I updated from Windows 7 was lost and the only way to get it back is to reinstall my last Windows 7 backup (which I did before the upgrade). Then re-upgrade to Windows 10 and hope all carries over with it. Then go back and reinstall all the latest updates to everything else I was running. BTW, an application I had that was running fine before that June update and now won't run anymore. I have seen "tons" of people having similar issues like this in postings on other sites - a lot of frustration out there with Windows 10.

One constant problem with 10 is it keeps altering my time and date, I reset it and next day it's changed again. Even something this simple is a pain in the backside!

Ive never had any data erased or anything removed from computer, not once. People always say lucky but ive never had any issue so id say its more bad luck for some ppl is all.
I also have never seen a time issue with windows. Granted I dont believe I have windows set to auto, its all manually done by me.

By no means am I saying the issues dont exist, they do for some but I havent had anything. Not all issues are MS tho, some are on manufacturers like HP etc..., others are on the user.

Ive never had any data erased or anything removed from computer, not once. People always say lucky but ive never had any issue so id say its more bad luck for some ppl is all.
I also have never seen a time issue with windows. Granted I dont believe I have windows set to auto, its all manually done by me.

By no means am I saying the issues dont exist, they do for some but I havent had anything. Not all issues are MS tho, some are on manufacturers like HP etc..., others are on the user.

Bad luck? Have you seen the number of patches released to solve this "bad luck"? Sorry, I'm glad you haven't had problems, many, many others have and some have had their PC's bricked, not because of their inability to run a computer but because Windows 10 is a failed OS.

I've had a PC since I can remember, never, not once in all that time, have I had an issue with the date and time, then Windows 10 comes along. Kindly don't think everyone you post to is a newbie when it comes to computers there's a good chap.

Like I said, Windows 7 just "works", no fighting it and I've had mine running witout having to reformat, or crash for over 3 years now and that was only because I wanted to have a clean start. 10 sux

And the so called many that have, there are millions more with no issues.
While issues do exist, at the the same time manufacturers and users also play a role.

Windows 10 just works too. Millions agree.

I still use W7, but I have a fresh new SSD just waiting for W10. I was thinking it would be so easy to swap one for the other, if W10 has problems.

My PC is a DELL Optiplex i5, the only new thing in it is 8 GB of RAM, bringing my total to 16. My question is, of those PCs subject to W10 issues, how many % -wise are off the shelf, as opposed to custom built ones?

And the so called many that have, there are millions more with no issues.
While issues do exist, at the the same time manufacturers and users also play a role.

Windows 10 just works too. Millions agree.

Oh so all these patches MS are bringing out are just for fun? And could you please direct me to the research where it claims millions more have no issues please?

10 has been a disaster, can't we go back to an OS that works better than Win 10, like Vista, WinMe or anything that isn't Windows 10? Thank god I've still got my Windows 7 disks

Why don't you try Linux Mint Cinnamon Linux Mint 19.3 (Tricia)?
No need to upgrade till 2023 or ever. Download or order a free DVD (Pay for the postage)
UEFI or BIOS boot, Live runs from HDD or portable drives and no "Activation" ever needed.
Works flawless, you control all updates, and Wine runs almost all Window programs without a hitch.
New upgrade Mint 20 Ulyana does not need an upgrade until 2025.
I am even able to run my old DOS games - it is a blast.
Bonus - it is all free unlike the MS that wants your blood from every keystroke.

Sorry for the late reply, moved home and it's taken ages to get internet supplied (volunteer group, no BT lines)

OK, does this version of Linux support Windows VR? I use a Dell Vision set up and it's the only thing I like to use my Windows 10 OC for. I've tried Linux in the past but keep going back to Windows 7

Back