Microsoft reportedly launching a low-cost Surface to compete with iPad

David Matthews

Staff member

Earlier this year, Apple unveiled a cheaper $329 iPad in a pitch to the education market. In a bid to compete better with those cheaper iPads, Microsoft is reportedly planning to release a lower-cost Surface towards the of 2018 according to a Bloomberg report.

This new Surface will have a 10-inch screen which is about two inches smaller than the standard Surface Pro. They will apparently be about 20 percent lighter than the regular Surface but have a shorter battery life. For context, the Surface Pro can last about 12-13 hours on a single charge. The new Surface will lose about four hours, probably due to a smaller battery being installed. On the plus side, Microsoft will finally add a USB Type-C port for charging although it’s unknown if it will be the sole connector for charging or if Microsoft will continue using their proprietary Surface port.

If this drive for a smaller Windows tablet to compete with the iPad sounds familiar, it’s because Microsoft tried this before with the failed Surface RT. The original Surface RT was meant to fulfill the tablet only need for people who primarily used for content consumption. Unfortunately, the lack of support for traditional x86 applications and the relative dearth of apps in the Windows Store doomed the Surface RT. Ironically, Microsoft seems to be going down a similar path with the Windows 10 S "mode" of the operating system which limits apps to the Windows Store only. However, the new Surface will run Windows 10 Pro instead.

Like the iPad, this new low-cost Surface will come in 64 GB and 128 GB flavors and include LTE support for constant connectivity. It will also continue the trademark Surface kickstand and while current Surface Pros are squared off, the new Surface will have more rounded corners.

Obviously, since this hasn’t been officially revealed or acknowledged by Microsoft, no launch date has been set. Since Android tablets are basically dead now, will Microsoft be the one to challenge Apple’s dominance in the tablet market?

Permalink to story.

I had a look at the new cheap iPad, and bought iPad Pro 10.5" instead.

While it may be all money for Apple to dongle their feet in cheaper waters, it is not Microsoft's forte, certainly not with the Surface laptops.

Stop messing around, and give us an all-improved Surface Pro 5!

Two questions:
- again?
- will it be ANOTHER "consumption/entertainment device" or, you know, an actual useful thing to do REAL work?

I bought a 5th gen iPad. While I don't care about Apple products that much, I needed to replace my Samsung tablet and after looking around, decided that Apple would get my money. My Tab S just didn't get many updates and battery life was abysmal. So like 2 weeks before the 6th gen iPad came out I doubt a 32gb 5th gen for like $250.
Battery life for my iPad is great, 10x better than my Tab S.

While Samsung may have improved some things, just didn't want to find out that it may not.

I wanted the 10.5 iPad Pro but not at double the price plus I have no interest in the pen or any other upgrade, just a waste of money.

Since Android tablets are basically dead now, will Microsoft be the one to challenge Apple’s dominance in the tablet market?
I guess I am missing something. Where in the referenced article does it say that android tablets are dead?

That the Pixel C won't be getting an updated OS is no different from previous generations of android devices in that beyond a certain point, the OS on any particular device was not updated. I have a Galaxy Tab S3 from several years ago, and the OS was never upgraded beyond a certain point, so I see nothing different with this release. It costs a manufacturer quite a bit to update for a particular piece of hardware that they might determine it is not worth the effort to update.

Besides, this "tablets are dead" rumor has been going on for a long time already - https://techcrunch.com/2016/02/25/tablets-are-dead/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/toddhixon/2012/05/18/are-android-tablets-dead/

...Since Android tablets are basically dead now...
@David Matthews: Android tablets are dead? Would you care to ellaborate? I opened the link to Android P developer news and I found no reference that would support this, other than the upcoming Google tablet won't get it OOTB.

Two questions:
- again?
- will it be ANOTHER "consumption/entertainment device" or, you know, an actual useful thing to do REAL work?
Those questions were basically in the topic.

The market needs something like Windows-running flagship tablet. And since that (sruface pro) is currently priced pretty high and stands more for convertible laptop than tablet, I think that something cheaper would be important for the market. The market is currently overfilled with cheap android tablets and people know how much those sucks and if they want some tablet again, they would aim at something more expensive offering quality.

Android Tablets aren't as popular as they were back in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 after that the slow decline 2016, 2017, 2018. Yet more people are on Android Smartphone than the tablet. Apple iPad and the Microsoft Surface tablets still hold strong. I still have Windows 10 tablet I had to rebuild the tablet is runs on Atom Z dual core CPU with 2GB of RAM and 320GB HD it's a 9.7-inch HD screen. I have it connected to external battery. I don't use it at all though. More on laptops and desktop. I still have netbook running Windows 10 on there as well that's mostly used for network configurations. I've been playing around with Chrome OS 64.x.x.x from CloudReady. That works on Netbook with Windows 10 in the background that's just Chrome Browser and Google apps. It's okay you can watch youtube stuff. On desktop 64-bit might be over kill but it works. It should run on my Windows 10 tablet as well. Android Tablet took a nose dive though. COBY Kyros tablets were cheap but very popular though. I still have about 3 of those left. Sold pretty much about 4 other Android brands tablets. The issue is the software was never upgraded to the next OS. These Android makers never bother to come up with updates for the next version of Android. Android is only supporting OS 6 to OS 9. Everything from Cup-cake, Donut, Enclair, Froiyer, Gingerbread, IceCream Jelly Bean, KitKat, Lollipop are history to them. Linux CentOS 7 popular but not as tablet I dont's see any takers.

Microsoft should make the tablets affordable for Windows 10 owners, but no they charge way too much and it's a premium to own one. I still don't see the need to buy one. I rather get touch screen laptop might flip into some sort of tablet but still I not going to use it like that.

Wasn't that what Windows RT was meant to be about? And it wasn't that great an experience.

Since Android tablets are basically dead now, will Microsoft be the one to challenge Apple’s dominance in the tablet market?
I guess I am missing something. Where in the referenced article does it say that android tablets are dead?

That the Pixel C won't be getting an updated OS is no different from previous generations of android devices in that beyond a certain point, the OS on any particular device was not updated. I have a Galaxy Tab S3 from several years ago, and the OS was never upgraded beyond a certain point, so I see nothing different with this release. It costs a manufacturer quite a bit to update for a particular piece of hardware that they might determine it is not worth the effort to update.

Besides, this "tablets are dead" rumor has been going on for a long time already - https://techcrunch.com/2016/02/25/tablets-are-dead/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/toddhixon/2012/05/18/are-android-tablets-dead/
At a certain point the updates of Android devices demand a lot more resources then are available. I would much rather have / use a tablet with which I can do a whole lot more than just what a bunch of really lame applications allow. On iOS one can't save email attachments. Can't use external / networked storage. Can't even play media / e-books that are already stored in the device. Who needs that ****? What I would really like to see are dual boot devices like Win+Chrome or Win + Android.That would be useful AND usable.

Last edited:
Back