Microsoft resumes rollout of Windows 10 October 2018 Update

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: Microsoft's Windows 10 October 2018 Update has been given the green light after a file deletion bug sidelined the software a month ago. The snafu has caused Microsoft to take a more measured approach to rolling out future updates.

It’s been more than a month since Microsoft pushed pause on the rollout of the Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809) due to a pesky bug that was erasing user data. The Redmond tech giant identified and remedied the issue within days but held back on releasing the patched update to a wide audience in order to conduct extensive internal validation and gather feedback from the Windows Insider community.

On Tuesday, John Cable, director of program management, Windows servicing and deliver, gave the update the all-clear.

Cable said there has been no further evidence of data loss with the revised updated. As such, Microsoft is resuming the release of the October Update by making it available via media and to users who check for manual updates. If it is detected that your device may have an issue with the update, like application compatibility, it won’t be installed until said issue is resolved.

The April Update had the fastest Windows 10 update rollout velocity but given the issues with the October Update, it’s no surprise that Microsoft is taking a measured approach this time around.

Permalink to story.

Soooooooo ...... what are they going to do with all the machines that were de-activated? I got one sitting here that is begging for a solution!

Soooooooo ...... what are they going to do with all the machines that were de-activated? I got one sitting here that is begging for a solution!

From what I have read. You just have to run the windows activate troubleshoot to get it working again.

from MS Community: Update as of morning 11/9/2018 Morning EST

"Any affected customer can continue to use Windows 10 Pro as usual, and the watermark will disappear within 24 hours as activation is automatically restored.
To manually resolve the issue: Select the Start button, select Settings > Update & security > Activation, and then select Troubleshoot to run the Activation Troubleshooter. (If the device is already activated, the Troubleshoot option will not appear.)"

your mileage may vary......

from MS Community: Update as of morning 11/9/2018 Morning EST

"Any affected customer can continue to use Windows 10 Pro as usual, and the watermark will disappear within 24 hours as activation is automatically restored.
To manually resolve the issue: Select the Start button, select Settings > Update & security > Activation, and then select Troubleshoot to run the Activation Troubleshooter. (If the device is already activated, the Troubleshoot option will not appear.)"

your mileage may vary......

I re-activated in win 10 settings, and everything is good.

TS is adverse to Apple and barely tolerant of Linux. IMO, most will gravitate to what they know. How many have USED a Mac let alone owned one?

The choices are few and a new learning curve is daunting to most.

Too many people here complaining about a free ride.
Nobody forces you to use Windows 10 or any other version.
With Windows 10, MS tricked its way onto many unwary computer users. Not forced but tricked.

Not forced but tricked.
Some were forced. I wasn't tricked or forced. I chose to move forward, which is considered a necessity by some in order to stay with the times. In either of those cases we can voice our disapproval. That is if we want to attempt micromanaging the direction of the times. Micromanaging is about all it amounts to. Especially when MS only listens when those micromanaging become louder with the volume of voices. So by God I will do my part.

Back