Microsoft reveals that Windows 10 is now found on almost 700 million devices

midian182

Staff member

In among the numerous announcements being made at Microsoft’s Build developer conference, the company has revealed that Windows 10 is now found on just under 700 million devices. A statistic that means the operating system has seen nearly 200 million extra installs in the last 12 months.

Back at Build 2017, Microsoft said Windows 10 was installed on 500 million devices. That figure had reached 600 million by November and is now “almost” at the 700 million mark.

When Windows 10 launched in 2015, Microsoft said its aim was to have the OS installed on one billion devices by the year 2018. A year later, the company admitted that it was overly optimistic and that more time was needed to hit this target, but the number of new installations continues to grow at a steady rate.

While PCs make up most of the Windows 10 devices, the figures include tablets, notebooks, Xbox consoles, the Hololens headsets, Surface Hub systems, phones, and IoT products.

Despite edging ever closer to three quarters of a billion installs, Windows 10 remains behind Windows 7 as the second most popular version of Microsoft’s OS. NetMarketShare has the older platform running on 43.57 percent of systems, while Windows 10 has a 33.81 percent share. Thanks to the number of enterprise users and its popularity in China, Windows 7 remains ahead, but the gap keeps shrinking. Security updates for Windows 7 will cease in early 2020, which should result in Windows 10 installs increasingly rapidly.

A figure that’s likely to be even more pleasing for Microsoft relates to its Office 365 service, which now has 135 million monthly active commercial users.

Permalink to story.

"While PCs make up most of the Windows 10 devices, the figures include tablets, notebooks, Xbox consoles, the Hololens headsets, Surface Hub systems, phones, and IoT products."

LOL. IoT products could mean anything from "smart" security camera's to baby monitors. Presumably these "installed" figures also includes old OEM licenses tied to discarded hardware for which a second license was required for replacement hardware? ie, install W10 OEM on Sandy Bridge board, it breaks / gets upgraded and thrown out, then buy new Coffee Lake / Ryzen board, old OEM license won't work due to being "locked" to old board, so new W10 license required = 2 "current installs" counted - 1x for the new functioning PC, and the other for the board that's sitting in a trash-heap?...

Three years ago Microsoft still expressed confidence in Windows 10 Mobile. They, apparently, expected tens of millions of W10 phones to be purchased, and including those guesstimates in the one billion figure. That never happened, of course. Windows 10 may someday reach one billion devices, but I'm not holding my breath. Too many people don't need desktop Windows anymore.

Cred·u·lous: ˈkrejələs/,
adjective: credulous
  • having or showing too great a readiness to believe things.
  • synonyms: gullible, naive, too trusting, easily taken in, impressionable, unsuspecting, unsuspicious, unwary, unquestioning

"Was" installed. How many uninstalled it and put Win7 back on? How many Win7 installs were there? I would say a lot of these installs were forced. The whole fiasco of Microsoft forcing people against their will into an upgrade when people clicked the red X to make the prompt go away. Scum of a company. I haven't been able to praise them since Win10 came out. My next OS install at home other than Win7 will likely be Linux.

TechSpot comments are proof that talking negatively about Microsoft is just the "cool [follower]" thing to do.
Almost as inevitable as the Apple haters, the MS haters on here don't use things like facts or logic to dictate their opinions... Since it's pretty much the only option for a new install (No, Linux is not a viable option), I'd be shocked if it doesn't hit 1 billion in a year or so....

TechSpot comments are proof that talking negatively about Microsoft is just the "cool [follower]" thing to do.
Almost as inevitable as the Apple haters, the MS haters on here don't use things like facts or logic to dictate their opinions... Since it's pretty much the only option for a new install (No, Linux is not a viable option), I'd be shocked if it doesn't hit 1 billion in a year or so....

There are haters for anything in existence (heck, even non-existent). What's your point? If you don't know about what has been referenced, at least in this thread about Win10, you have been under a rock or are a fanatic and have blinders on. I personally am not lying. How does someone prove with facts to you about their personal experience anyway? Please outline in detail.

You must be new to computers. Please provide facts to make your claim it is the only new install option. You DO know that you can install many operating systems other than Win10? Specifically in Microsoft, I can install DOS, Windows 3.1, Win95, Win98, Win7... basically any of them.

They will not hit 1 billion in a year if it has already been several and still not even close. The install rate has fallen off. You are right about my opinion on this - I can't provide facts. Only a prediction. :)

"While PCs make up most of the Windows 10 devices, the figures include tablets, notebooks, Xbox consoles, the Hololens headsets, Surface Hub systems, phones, and IoT products."

LOL. IoT products could mean anything from "smart" security camera's to baby monitors. Presumably these "installed" figures also includes old OEM licenses tied to discarded hardware for which a second license was required for replacement hardware? ie, install W10 OEM on Sandy Bridge board, it breaks / gets upgraded and thrown out, then buy new Coffee Lake / Ryzen board, old OEM license won't work due to being "locked" to old board, so new W10 license required = 2 "current installs" counted - 1x for the new functioning PC, and the other for the board that's sitting in a trash-heap?...
Statistics manipulation is a favorite among large corporate and government entities. Besides, isn't it well known that over 90% of statistics are made up anyway? Then again that could also be a made of statistic.

There are haters for anything in existence (heck, even non-existent). What's your point? If you don't know about what has been referenced, at least in this thread about Win10, you have been under a rock or are a fanatic and have blinders on. I personally am not lying. How does someone prove with facts to you about their personal experience anyway? Please outline in detail.

You must be new to computers. Please provide facts to make your claim it is the only new install option. You DO know that you can install many operating systems other than Win10? Specifically in Microsoft, I can install DOS, Windows 3.1, Win95, Win98, Win7... basically any of them.

They will not hit 1 billion in a year if it has already been several and still not even close. The install rate has fallen off. You are right about my opinion on this - I can't provide facts. Only a prediction. :)
MS will only support Windows 10 after 2020... So an enterprise user will only have the one option for a new install....

If you look at the % of OSes installed on computers, you'll notice that other than MacOS, pretty much everything is an MS product.... Linux has a small niche that will continue, but will never make any serious dent...

As the years go by, simply by process of elimination, Windows 10 will become the OS of the majority - surpassing anything else... Since MS has no plans on a Win 11 (the plan is to continue updating / upgrading Win 10 indefinitely), it is pretty obvious that in a few years, it will EASILY surpass a billion devices.

If you see any reason that this isn't true, by all means, share...

Yes, many have issues with certain parts of Windows 10... There are users who reminisce fondly on Windows XP, OS2 Warp, DOS, etc.... But the FACT remains that Windows 10 is the only viable long term option for anyone who wants Windows on their computer.

Restricting OS installs of earlier OS's (Win 7) on newer CPU's and non-availability of alternate choices CAN make it seem like users are flocking to Win 10 and Office 365. If true free choice were possible, I'd bet that 700 million figure would be cut in half.

Most of us prefer an OS we can work with, not one we must learn to make work, especially one as unintuitive as Win 10.

Restricting OS installs of earlier OS's (Win 7) on newer CPU's and non-availability of alternate choices CAN make it seem like users are flocking to Win 10 and Office 365. If true free choice were possible, I'd bet that 700 million figure would be cut in half.

Most of us prefer an OS we can work with, not one we must learn to make work, especially one as unintuitive as Win 10.
Can you explain how Windows 10 is any less intuitive than Windows 7?

And can you tell me if it's possible to install an old version of Android on a new smartphone? Or iOS 7 on a new iPhone? The answer is no.... Why should MS make it possible to install an older, unsupported version of Windows on a new PC when they've already created a new OS specifically designed for it?

Freedom of choice... Really?!? You're always free not to have a PC I suppose... Or buy a Mac.... Otherwise, suck it up and enjoy Windows 10 - it's actually MS' best OS, and while not perfect, it's pretty darn good.

Three years ago Microsoft still expressed confidence in Windows 10 Mobile. They, apparently, expected tens of millions of W10 phones to be purchased.

Look how quickly that failed, even their alpha status windows 10 mobile was buggy and unstable.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_Mobile

Reception
Reception of Windows 10 Mobile has been mixed. The Verge was disappointed with the direction that Windows 10 Mobile has taken, describing it as feeling "buggy and unfinished".Tech Radar praised the OS for its design, but noted that the lack of apps was the "biggest let-down on Windows Phone and Windows 10 Mobile alike

Windows 10 Mobile has also been criticized for its poorer performance than Windows Phone 8.1 on some devices. After many user complaints, Microsoft started allowing users to downgrade from Windows 10 to Windows Phone 8.1

Last edited:
Back