Microsoft says 71% of Windows 10 users allow their data to be collected

midian182

Staff member

While Windows 10 is a great operating system, it’s long been criticized for its approach to users’ privacy. But Microsoft has revealed the changes it rolled out in the Creators Update have been met with “positive” feedback, and that seven out of ten customers use the 'Full' diagnostics data setting.

The negative publicity Microsoft received for the amount of user data Windows 10 gathered forced it to alter the process in the Creators Update. It added an online privacy dashboard and more controls for settings like location, speech, and ads. Windows 10 Home and Pro Editions also streamlined their data collection options, eliminating the “Enhanced” setting and leaving just “Full” and “Basic,” the latter of which recording around half the information it did before.

Microsoft says that what it gathers from the Full diagnostics data setting helps fix bugs and improve its products. 71 percent of users selecting this option may sound like they trust the company, but it’s worth noting that ‘Full’ is the default setting, meaning some less tech-savvy users may not know how to turn it off or what it does.

"The feedback we've received about the Creators Update has been positive," said the Windows privacy officer, Marisa Rogers. "This is great news to us because what we hear from you directly impacts the improvements we make."

The company added that it is ensuring Windows 10 is compliant with the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), which is set to go into effect in 2018.

Microsoft also notes that its web-based privacy dashboard that allows users to control their privacy settings across multiple MS services has been visited by over 23 million people. That may seem like a lot, but it's a small fraction of Windows 10’s 500 million users.

Permalink to story.

As long as news doesn't come out saying this collection of data is slowing my computer then I'm fine with it. Taking the data behind the scenes is better than getting called for surveys as long as the majority of the data is used to improve the product. They aren't psychic over there.

Positive feedback my @ss. Why not just say "We are good at hiding full options on how data is collected for non-technical people during windows 10 first time startup. We want the collection of information as possible to improve, nag, and be able to identify people in the internet based on their behavior. Thank you for choosing Windows 10!"

How many out of the the 71% know that this data is even being collected.

Well that's a silly comment.
Lots of software and websites spy on us. How many people do you think know that?

Since I don't know exactly what ALL the data is used for, and you don't either, it's probably not wise to pretend you do.

And how many of those 71% are people who cared to disable as much telemetry as they could but are unaware that privacy settings are reverted to default after certain MS updates?

Ugh. That's deceptive.

Can anyone point me to where I can check my settings?

Serious question... what do you guys surf/do that requires you to worry about data that intensely that honestly doesn't matter beyond statistics and usage patterns?

Serious question... what do you guys surf/do that requires you to worry about data that intensely that honestly doesn't matter beyond statistics and usage patterns?

For one, I do research that requires that I protect the confidentiality and privacy of participants. I have no control over Microsoft's servers or how they manage their data security, so I'd prefer they not have access to my information to begin with.

There's also a general principle here. If MS can claim the right to invasive telemetry, why not Adobe? Why not Chrome/Firefox/you name it? Proliferation of snooping agents leads to a degradation of system performance, and far more potential leaks of personal data.

How many out of the the 71% know that this data is even being collected.

Lots of software and websites spy on us. How many people do you think know that?

Since I don't know exactly what ALL the data is used for, and you don't either, it's probably not wise to pretend you do.
It's generally used to ram ads down our throats, that's the most obvious, but it could be collected for more nefarious deeds depending on the software/website.

For one, I do research that requires that I protect the confidentiality and privacy of participants. I have no control over Microsoft's servers or how they manage their data security, so I'd prefer they not have access to my information to begin with.

There's also a general principle here. If MS can claim the right to invasive telemetry, why not Adobe? Why not Chrome/Firefox/you name it? Proliferation of snooping agents leads to a degradation of system performance, and far more potential leaks of personal data.
Why would you care though about unidentifiable data that only contains usage patterns and/or statistics though? Can you name 1 way (verifiable and true) that this data can be used to harm you in anyway possible?

Thank you for the reply. My comment was specific;I asked how many people actually know this data is being collected and not what it is being used for. I also think there is a difference between "spying" at the OS level and doing it through third party software\websites. Sure other\previous OS may have had telemetry data collection, but was it at this level. I don't know. Who knows.

This number is lower than what I expected. I'm guessing that even non-tech savvy people are going out of their way to disable this. I'd wager that less then 10% of windows users are actually tech savvy.

It's generally used to ram ads down our throats, that's the most obvious, but it could be collected for more nefarious deeds depending on the software/website.

"Could"
You could be right, but we don't know for sure.
At least the stuff I say about AMD is based on previous happenings, facts and research.

So banging on W10 is based on what?

Thank you for the reply. My comment was specific;I asked how many people actually know this data is being collected and not what it is being used for. I also think there is a difference between "spying" at the OS level and doing it through third party software\websites. Sure other\previous OS may have had telemetry data collection, but was it at this level. I don't know. Who knows.

Ok here's mine:

How many of those people do you think would care if told about it?

And how many do you think would be okay with it if they were told the data was being used to improve the product?

My comment contains common sense. Yours is just based on the assumption all companies are out to get us!

Ok here's mine:

How many of those people do you think would care if told about it?

And how many do you think would be okay with it if they were told the data was being used to improve the product?

My comment contains common sense. Yours is just based on the assumption all companies are out to get us!

Very few companies will use that data maliciously and even fewer are out to get us if at all. That being said, it should be something Microsoft alerts it's users to. I don't think they do a good enough job of that with their current windows setup process and it's this very thing that got them in trouble in Europe with IE. If Microsoft simply gave users enough warning and / or choice they could satisfy everyone.

Back