Microsoft showcases several new OneDrive features at Ignite conference

Greg S

Microsoft has revealed some incoming changes to OneDrive at its annual Ignite conference, the most prominent of which is a new web interface that's part of Office 365. Emphasis on displaying new and modified files should make it faster to find what you are looking for.

Files On-Demand may set OneDrive apart from competing services such as DropBox and Google Drive. The new feature, already available to Windows Insiders, allows over 270 file types to be opened without having a native application installed locally. For example, Adobe Photoshop .PSD files can be previewed without needing to have Photoshop installed on your computer.

Sharing files with users outside of an organization and those who do not have a Microsoft Service Account will also be made easier with the introduction of one-time passcodes. Using Azure, a single-use passcode can be created to share secure file links.

Additionally, one-click provisioning support for IT professionals is finally making an appearance. No user interaction will be required to complete setup of OneDrive on remote machines. Customers will also be able to hold their own private encryption keys utilizing a new service-level encryption feature. With privacy concerns rising, it is a little surprising standard encryption has not already been implemented.

For a full list of new features and improvements being made to OneDrive, check out the OneDrive blog.

Permalink to story.

Google gave me 100 GB of storage for free for life and so far I've managed to shoehorn a gargantuan, about 250 MB into it. I don't need anymore cloud storage and although OneDrive is part of Win 10, I've never used it and most likely never will.

Google gave me 100 GB of storage for free for life and so far I've managed to shoehorn a gargantuan, about 250 MB into it. I don't need anymore cloud storage and although OneDrive is part of Win 10, I've never used it and most likely never will.
I would not be surprised if there are a lot of people like you out there that only use something like this sparingly.

Personally, I have never used something like this. One thing that I would never use something like this for is something that I wanted to keep secure. I find it very interesting that companies like gagme and M$ keep touting "features" like this even though it is entirely possible that it will be hacked. For instance - http://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/2017/Sep/74

I would not be surprised if there are a lot of people like you out there that only use something like this sparingly.

Personally, I have never used something like this. One thing that I would never use something like this for is something that I wanted to keep secure. I find it very interesting that companies like gagme and M$ keep touting "features" like this even though it is entirely possible that it will be hacked. For instance - http://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/2017/Sep/74
Anything on the internet, no matter secure they try make it can be hacked. I prefer to store my personal data but I do appreciate the convenience of cloud storage. It's impractical, and silly, to try carry around a bunch of USB drives & hard disks everywhere you go. Strangely enough, we all seem to do all our banking online and think nothing of it. Banks can, and have been hacked with ridiculous ease but then again they take full responsibility for our money while in their possession (terms & conditions apply) so if one morning you wake up to find you don't have a cent to your name anymore, it becomes their problem.

I use OneDrive for a lot of things including offsite backups. Offsite backups are very important especially if disaster strikes be it a fire, robbery, hurricane, flooding, etc. The people in the path of the latest hurricanes los everything including their computer equipment and quite possibly their data if it wasn't backed up offsite.

I myself have 1 TB of OneDrive storage and I'm using 40 GBs of it lately for offsite backups of photos that I don't want lost. I have both the JPEGs and the RAW files backed up in the cloud just in case the unspeakable does happen.

With the fact that ransomware is getting worse and worse lately the ability to take your entire OneDrive back to a specific date will help a lot of people.

Back