Microsoft Surface Book 2 announced with 13.5-inch / 15-inch screens, 8th gen Intel CPU...

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft on Tuesday rolled out refreshed versions of its Surface Book packing faster hardware, improved battery life and more.

The Surface Book 2 is offered with your choice of 13.5-inch (3,000 x 2,000 resolution, 267 PPI) or 15-inch (3,240 x 2,160, 260 PPI) display. Both are of the multi-touch variety, have a contrast ratio of 1,600:1 and an aspect ratio of 3:2. Under the hood, you’ll find up to an 8th generation Intel Core i7-8650U processor and 16GB of RAM alongside up to an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 discrete graphics.

As for local storage, you can configure the Surface Book 2 with up to 1TB of flash memory.

Microsoft’s latest is well-connected with support for 802.11 ac Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.1 LE as well as two USB 3.0 Type-A ports, a USB Type-C connector, an SDXC card reader, two Surface Connect ports and a 3.5mm headphone jack. The 5-megapixel front-facing camera supports Windows Hello authentication.

The original Surface Book, which served as Microsoft’s first-ever laptop, was unveiled in October 2015.

The 13-inch model tips the scales at 3.38 pounds while the larger 15-inch Surface Book 2 weighs in at 4.2 pounds (including the keyboard). According to Microsoft, you can expect up to 17 hours of battery life (video playback) between charges.

Microsoft’s new Surface Book 2 ships November 16. Full pricing details haven’t been revealed although we do know that you’ll need to bring at least $1,499 to the table (and that’s for a model with a 7th generation Core i5-7300U CPU). Expect to pay well north of that if you want the Core i7, Nvidia GTX 1060 graphics and a sizable SSD.

Permalink to story.

Slightly more money than the Pixelbook, and you get a full Windows OS + Discrete Graphics + a newer gen processor. But damn these things are pricey. I guess if I were a student again and wanted something that would last me 4 years this would be a nice option.

I have the first Surface Book and it has been one of the best laptops I have ever owned and those new specs make it very enticing. Pricing is crazy for the top end but I would be happy with the new i7 and a 1050.

The Surface Book has always been expensive, the article is trying to seem surprised by it. It's not new, they have always started at $1500 and go up. Their highest model goes I believe over $3k. Believe it or not, it does sell. It may not have sold very well lately as ppl have been waiting on a update for this for awhile.

Only gripe is that they still have the hinge gap....and as someone who does coding and text work, 3:2 hardly makes any positive difference to me to override the annoyance of media consumption on it. Otherwise I love these things.

Back