Microsoft to open 600 Windows stores inside Best Buy this summer

Shawn Knight

Staff member

buy carve microsoft mini-stores microsoft best buy

Best Buy and Microsoft have come to an agreement that will see the retailer install mini Windows stores in more than 500 locations in the US and 100 across Canada starting this summer. Dubbed the Windows Store, the areas will fill existing space used to showcase computers and will range in size from 1,500 to 2,200 square feet, Microsoft said.

Chief marketing officer and chief financial officer for Windows Tami Reller said it’s a big deal for Microsoft to make sure customers have a hands-on experience which is exactly what the store-within-a-store will offer.

The retail chain plans to staff the Windows Store with more than 1,200 employees that will be trained specifically to sell Microsoft’s products.

All sounding a bit familiar, you say? Well, you’d be correct as just Samsung partnered with Best Buy just two months ago to open 1,400 mini stores of their own. The Samsung Experience Shop, which are already set up in a number of locations, consume up to 460 square feet of floor space and are also staffed with employees that have been trained to sell Samsung’s latest and greatest.

The store-in-a-store route seemingly makes sense for everyone involved as Microsoft and Samsung have struggled to find an answer to Apple’s retail dominance. What’s more, it’s good news for Best Buy as they’ve had a tough time competing with online merchants that are able to undercut them by not charging sales tax.

Permalink to story.

Since when did microsoft start making laptops and computers o.o??? Seems a extreme waste of cash but if it lowers unemployment rates spend away.

Will these stores be always online and require verification every day to ensure Best Buy has a legit Microsoft store?

I think it should be so then it prevents people copying the brand or setting up fake shops.

@wastedkill

Spend away? That's the kind of thinking that run's a company to the ground. Who give's a rat's *** about unemployment, that shouldn't be any companies priority 1, 2, or even 3...

Microsoft is going downhill ever since Bill Gates left. The company went from building intuitive products that needed very little advertisement to a company that does anything and everything to squeeze every penny out of our pockets.

This is a GIANT ship waiting to sink.

This is fantastic. The small Microsoft kiosk that we have in my city is ALWAYS busy, and it's downtown. It'll be nice to have a bigger section in a Best Buy just down the street.

And yes, Microsoft makes laptops: it's called the Surface RT and Surface Pro. They're technically tablets, but they're just as functional, if not more functional, than laptops, and they're certainly more versatile. They'll have those on sale there, along with third party Windows 8 laptops. They'll have new touch covers, type covers (with different designs and colors). They'll have peripherals, such as the Surface wedge mouse. I'm hoping they'll have touch screen monitors too. Looking for a good one for my desktop PC.

March on, Microsoft!

"What?s more, it?s good news for Best Buy as they?ve had a tough time competing with online merchants that are able to undercut them by not charging sales tax."

Say what?? EVERY business pays sales tax in whichever state issued their business license. However, you only have to show that tax as a discreet charge (a "collection") when the sale is to a customer in the same state. For out-of-state purchasers its transparently added to the final price. More importantly, even if the online guys somehow could get away with not collecting taxes, they would STILL beat Best Buy and most other retailers on price alone. Sheesh..this is retail 101 here.

Wonder how one would go about applying for a job at one of these locations? Wait till it opens then go in? Or is there a dedicated site for windows stores to applications?

News just in... Apple has bought Best Buy. Microsoft and Samsung retain their square footage but now both reside in the extended bathroom.

It seems like a more realistic idea than building their own stores starting from zero, at least for outside of the USA, because here in Mexico... waiting for a Microsoft Store [not a single one yet] to sell a Surface or any product themselves would take a long time; but we have Best Buy, is quite a lot less time to be accomplished.

They have 6 months before the new consoles release, so it's too early to tell...

Please don't seriously tell me you are trying to defend M$ at this point. Granted, I own machines with Microsoft products but if they continue down the path that they have been I'm going full Linux.

Seriously, they announced what they were doing at E3 FFS. It seems Microsoft's new business model is to alienate their entire consumer base and then defecate on them.
Windows Phone was total fail
Windows 8 is garbage, love their patch for 8.1 to bring back the start button but too little too late the damage is done. Nevermind it was too soon after Windows 7 release.
Now, we get the Xbox big brother is watching you system.
They may as well hand their cash to Apple, Sony, Nintendo and Google at this point.

@wastedkill

Spend away? That's the kind of thinking that run's a company to the ground. Who give's a rat's *** about unemployment, that shouldn't be any companies priority 1, 2, or even 3...

Microsoft is going downhill ever since Bill Gates left. The company went from building intuitive products that needed very little advertisement to a company that does anything and everything to squeeze every penny out of our pockets.

This is a GIANT ship waiting to sink.

heck im simply stating they can spend there money employing more people if they want it helps the state and everyone else

At least the lighting in Windows Stores is better than in Apple Stores. Apple feels like an operating theatre.

Best Buy here are huge Warehouse/stores, but Apple has a presence already at Best Buy now Microsoft going at it. Wonder if they're going to do sales on items or just stick us all with MSRP or SRP.

Please don't seriously tell me you are trying to defend M$ at this point. Granted, I own machines with Microsoft products but if they continue down the path that they have been I'm going full Linux.

Seriously, they announced what they were doing at E3 FFS. It seems Microsoft's new business model is to alienate their entire consumer base and then defecate on them.
Windows Phone was total fail
Windows 8 is garbage, love their patch for 8.1 to bring back the start button but too little too late the damage is done. Nevermind it was too soon after Windows 7 release.
Now, we get the Xbox big brother is watching you system.
They may as well hand their cash to Apple, Sony, Nintendo and Google at this point.
Oh, I'm not defending anything. I am, however, saying that it's too early to know what will happen when it's released. 6 months is a long time.
And I HATE it when people like you assume too much (just like your little points above).

Dumb @ dumber with the blind leading the blind. The Sales and Marketing, as well as all management employees for both companies, need to be sequestered for 6 months and taught customer service skills.

I was in my local warehouse BB today 6.15.13 and found Samsung department store front, just long side Apple department Store front. I see HP sales rep there also with his made-up store front. So this is what BB has become a large Flea Market of Computer Hardware/Software Vendors peddling their goods to us.

My Best buy in DeKalb Illinois already has a Samsung and Apple store in the works. Now over half of the store will be cell phone products. And they are now work like the old circuit city. I like it.

Back