Microsoft to open 75 new retail stores within 3 years

Jos

Staff

There's no denying Apple's retail success. Ten years after opening the first store location at Tysons Corner in Virginia, the company now counts 327 stores worldwide, where it can showcase its products to millions of visitors each month with thoughtful attention to detail. The results? Just under $10 billion in sales for fiscal year 2010 alone -- that's 13% of the company's revenue during that period, not to mention the stores are a key brand and customer service driver.

Looking to mimic this strategy, Microsoft revived its retail push in 2009 and currently has 11 stores up and running within the U.S. That's tiny compared to Apple's 327 stores but the company says it has helped them transition "from thinking about customers to thinking like customers." Now, with the experience gained from the past couple of years Microsoft is ready to get serious about retail with 75 more stores over the next 2 to 3 years.

Although Microsoft didn't reveal any specific locations for the stores, it appears many will be concentrated in the northeastern U.S., California and Florida. Chief Operating Officer Kevin Turner also said that the company would begin to open stores outside the United States as well, though he gave no timeframe for this. In any case, if you live in a U.S. major city, chances are a Microsoft Store will open near you in the next couple of years.

Permalink to story.

probably Windows Phones, Their OS, Advert their Cloud os, sell laptops, pcs, Zunes, and so on.

when I lived in Seattle I met people that worked for Microsoft (not hard to find them out there lol!) and I know they have their own employee store where they could buy anything that Microsoft makes,software and hardware. My guess it will be like that minus the employee discount...

Follow the leader ms. APPLE!

Soon they'll be changing their name to Mangosoft.

Such innovation.

I like to shop at my own pace, pleasure, and convenience. So, you won't be meeting me at a M$ retail store near you. Wow! Now that's a relief, isn't it?

why? apple has mindless lemmings using their junk who are willing to shell out four weeks pay from their coffee shop/book store/ self-employed (un-employed) graphic artist job for the crap.

most PC fans shop at newegg/tigerdirect/steam and microcenter for brick and mortar shopping

"most PC fans shop at newegg/tigerdirect/steam"

That's a great way to support your local economy. It's no wonder you can't afford an Apple with no jobs left in your town. (lol)

The apple store fits into the Apple mentality and culture (whether you agree with or not), whilst an MS store really doesnt fit into what MS is about, that's just my opinion.

"most PC fans shop at newegg/tigerdirect/steam"

That's a great way to support your local economy. It's no wonder you can't afford an Apple with no jobs left in your town. (lol)
Most of the jobs created by retail sales, are minimum wage after school jobs, occupied by gay latch key teenagers, that don't really contribute squat to a local economy. After all, 90+% of the crap that they're selling comes from China, including the Apple computer product. Unless you decide to count the raise in your own property taxes brought on by the new mall nearby, that allegedly increases the value of you home. I'm sure your mayor and local tax board appreciates your "selfless" contribution.

So let's review; the manufacturing wages are drawn by the Chinese, Cupertino (Apple), certainly isn't local to everybody, and your fairy godchildren at the new mall, are earning possibly less than if they worked at McDonald's. How does that fit your ideal local economic model?

Not a lot of specific details as to what products and services would be available at these stores. I'm a PC builder that has always used MS products and I specialize in how the hardware and OS interact. Be nice if the the stores offer instruction classes on streamlining your apps and system. I know Apple product owners and how they like the services available at the Apple stores. Guess we'll see what happens.

Back