Microsoft will be splitting up Cortana and Search in a future Windows 10 update

Polycount

Staff
In context: If you're a Windows 10 user, you've probably run into Microsoft's virtual assistant -- Cortana -- on at least one occasion. For some people, the AI is undoubtedly a useful addition to the Windows ecosystem. For others, Cortana just gets in the way, particularly because she's always been inexplicably tied to Windows 10's Search feature.

Some users have grown so tired of this intertwined functionality that they've taken to downloading entirely different search systems to get around it (such as Start10, Stardock's Windows 7-themed Start Menu overhaul).

Fortunately, that may no longer be necessary moving forward. As Microsoft announced in its latest Insider Preview blog post, the company will be "decoupling" Search and Cortana in the Taskbar moving forward. In other words, they will be two completely separate entities; you won't accidentally trigger one when you try to use the other.

In theory, this change means Microsoft can update both Cortana and Search independently in the future, without worrying about creating features that impact them both equally.

Indeed, in the very same update that this new Cortana-Search split is slated to occur, Microsoft will be "updating the search landing page design," and "enhancing" search results across the board, though it's unclear what the latter means.

If you're a Windows Insider in Microsoft's "Fast" ring, you can access this new update right now, as part of Insider Build 18317. If you're a regular user, you'll have to wait a while - Microsoft has likely become a bit more cautious about rushing out its feature updates after the disastrous OS bugs that got pushed out to the public during 2018.

Permalink to story.

I don't need or want either so I don't care. Give me an option to remove this trash from my desktop. If I had this option, I wouldn't have anything to be angry about. As it is, this is an operating system with no control. Which is ironic seeing how these features, Microsoft thinks are in place to give control.

Make all of these "features" able to be removed from Control Panel. Best yet, leave them uninstalled by default. Trim all of your bloatware (your store is adware). Just like forcing the install on us of xbox and your crappy "store" among many other reasons. Why the heck are you forcing the install of xbox on SERVER 2016?? There is no way out of the box to disable it. Epic fail, MS. You sure are enjoying to make it a nightmare for admins of both workstations and servers.

Although first of all, remove your privacy issues and telemetry from being forced on us with Win10. If you do this, you will see several more machines of mine being upgraded. Otherwise, Win7 will be the end of my 30 years of microsoft.

I don't need or want either so I don't care. Give me an option to remove this trash from my desktop. If I had this option, I wouldn't have anything to be angry about. As it is, this is an operating system with no control. Which is ironic seeing how these features, Microsoft thinks are in place to give control.
The way I look at it is M$ thinks all computer users are dummies and they need M$ looking over their shoulders telling them what keys to press, where to move the mouse, etc., and ensuring that those users don't do what M$ thinks they should not be doing.

Microsoft Windows used to be all about giving the user control, and letting them customize as desired. This extended greatly into the hands of sys admins, who could use group policy to maintain the a good level of control and customization needed. Windows 10 has gone in the opposite direction, shoving "features" into the OS and not giving anyone a way to control or customize them. This has become the bane of existence for a lot of sys admins, including myself who has the great difficulty of customizing Windows 10 systems for my business users. It has been so very frustrating that at times I consider a career change because I'm just tired of not being able to give my users what they need and not what they don't.

The way I look at it is M$ thinks all computer users are dummies and they need M$ looking over their shoulders telling them what keys to press, where to move the mouse, etc., and ensuring that those users don't do what M$ thinks they should not be doing.

Reading your post makes think they are trying to be like apple while trying to avoid patents. Good grief, nooooo!

So do all of you guys just get out your pitchforks just for the sake of getting out your pitch forks? You can already do what you're complaining about.

Cortana can be disabled. (Cortana >> Notebook >> Edit next you your user name >> Click your account >> Sign Out). Once you do that, it reverts to Windows Search Only.

The search bar can be removed from the task bar as well (Right-click task bar >> Cortana >> Hidden)

Make all of these "features" able to be removed from Control Panel. Best yet, leave them uninstalled by default. Trim all of your bloatware (your store is adware). Just like forcing the install on us of xbox and your crappy "store" among many other reasons. Why the heck are you forcing the install of xbox on SERVER 2016?? There is no way out of the box to disable it. Epic fail, MS. You sure are enjoying to make it a nightmare for admins of both workstations and servers.

Although first of all, remove your privacy issues and telemetry from being forced on us with Win10. If you do this, you will see several more machines of mine being upgraded. Otherwise, Win7 will be the end of my 30 years of microsoft.

Server 2016 doesn't even feature the Microsoft Store....meaning there are no Store apps installed. Nice try..."Epic Fail".

Last edited:
So do all of you guys just get out your pitchforks just for the sake of getting out your pitch forks? You can already do what you're complaining about.

Cortana can be disabled. (Cortana >> Notebook >> Edit next you your user name >> Click your account >> Sign Out). Once you do that, it reverts to Windows Search Only.

The search bar can be removed from the task bar as well (Right-click task bar >> Cortana >> Hidden)

Server 2016 doesn't even feature the Microsoft Store....meaning there are no Store apps installed. Nice try..."Epic Fail".

Literally everything you said is wrong.

Uh... I put "store" and "server" on two separate lines. Read a little slower - there is a period in between.

1. google "get blackbird" and download it
2. unzip and run as admin
3. once its done scanning your computer enter "a" and hit the enter key which brings up the app manager
4. find cortana, type its corresponding number and hit enter to disable that piece of trash.
5. kill other trash u see in there u don't need "literally everything honestly besides old .net crap if u need it etc" p.s. anything you disable can immediately be re-enabled on the fly if you notice something you're not happy with :)
6. download openshell (and 7+ taskbar tweaker if you disabled shell experience host with blackbird) because disabling cortana properly to where the stupid suspended broken cortana process isn't running involves breaking the start menu (thanks micropenis)
7. have a nice day

P.S. the fact that disabling cortana through blackbird breaks the start menu completely is not the fault of the blackbird author, its microsofts for binding it to the start menu like a virus.

Uh... I put "store" and "server" on two separate lines. Read a little slower - there is a period in between.

:joy: There is no period...read your own quote. Your sentence specifically asks why is XBOX on Server 2016...there are no apps on Server 2016, only x86 applications. Go ahead, defend yourself, I'll wait...……...

P.S. the fact that disabling cortana through blackbird breaks the start menu completely is not the fault of the blackbird author, its microsofts for binding it to the start menu like a virus.
I'd prefer Microsoft fix their own crap than have 6 billion people fixing it for themselves.

Literally everything you said is wrong.

I run Windows Server 2016 at home AND manage a Windows Server 2016 LTSB environment at work --- there is no MICROSOFT STORE on Server 2016. There are no "apps" on Server 2016.

But I'm wrong...right?

WS2016ADSetup2.png

:joy: There is no period...read your own quote. Your sentence specifically asks why is XBOX on Server 2016...there are no apps on Server 2016, only x86 applications. Go ahead, defend yourself, I'll wait...……...

Trying to derail the post? How about I double quote you:
"Server 2016 doesn't even feature the Microsoft Store"
Note the word STORE. You are talking about store. I am trying to tell you I never said store was in 2016. I said xbox was. Sheesh... Now that's a troll remark.

Have you ever even seen 2016? I seriously hope you are not a server admin. Why don't you take a look at the services list? There are TWO Xbox services! "Xbox Live Auth Manager" and "Xbox Live Game Save". To quote your snide remark: "Go ahead and prove me wrong. I will be waiting."

They also have a ton of hyper-v services on 2016 when my company doesn't even use hyper-v. That is crap that they have those running by default, which also waste system resources. Multiply that by thousands (millions across the globe). There are also a couple dozen other services that are unnecessary.

I run Windows Server 2016 at home AND manage a Windows Server 2016 LTSB environment at work --- there is no MICROSOFT STORE on Server 2016. There are no "apps" on Server 2016.

But I'm wrong...right?

WS2016ADSetup2.png

You are correct, but I never said that. You derailed the thread to try and feel good about something someone else never said. Troll.

try teamOS builds, you can activate with your own key.

Note the word STORE. You are talking about store. I am trying to tell you I never said store was in 2016. I said xbox was. Sheesh... Now that's a troll remark.

Have you ever even seen 2016? I seriously hope you are not a server admin. Why don't you take a look at the services list? There are TWO Xbox services! "Xbox Live Auth Manager" and "Xbox Live Game Save". To quote your snide remark: "Go ahead and prove me wrong. I will be waiting."

They also have a ton of hyper-v services on 2016 when my company doesn't even use hyper-v. That is crap that they have those running by default, which also waste system resources. Multiply that by thousands (millions across the globe). There are also a couple dozen other services that are unnecessary.
So, how does the system push you to install xbox? Because you wrote it exactly the way like there is some ad with xbox app offer.

So, how does the system push you to install xbox? Because you wrote it exactly the way like there is some ad with xbox app offer.
The XBOX services come pre-installed.... I do agree that there's no reason that should be the default option on Windows Server editions.... however... it's REALLY easy to uninstall - and if you are running a server, you should be pretty familiar with installing and uninstalling stuff...

As for Cortana and Search - if you don't want Cortana, simply deactivate it. There are numerous ways (some mentioned in this thread already) and Google is your friend. As for search - just hide it and forget about it...

The XBOX services come pre-installed.... I do agree that there's no reason that should be the default option on Windows Server editions.... however... it's REALLY easy to uninstall - and if you are running a server, you should be pretty familiar with installing and uninstalling stuff...

As for Cortana and Search - if you don't want Cortana, simply deactivate it. There are numerous ways (some mentioned in this thread already) and Google is your friend. As for search - just hide it and forget about it...

Please let us know how to remove xbox without some hidden command line buried deep in the OS. I just found a single link that gives some off the wall command line I've never seen nor needed before. Why do they hide it let alone have it installed by default? When I built our corporate image some time ago, nothing came up how to remove it. So frustrating and ignorant on MS' part. Plus all of the over dozen other unnecessary services. Phone service? Dial-up modem? SMB 1.0?? lol

I didn't mention Cortana in my posts, thanks for just saying "google it", but I disabled it on my own without needing to search. :)

Not so much "push". The best word is "force". It is installed by default. Sorry if you thought it was an ad.

Out of sight = out of mind.

I have to actually think hard and remember that I have Siri or Cortana available. Using them is a chore.

A plain, regular SEARCH bar is all I need.

If you had a dollar for everything that could be removed and available by opt-in, you could fill your empty fuel tank easily. And by opr-in. I mean download and install, just like every thing else third-party. Half of the crap they push. They push because they know people opt for better software. Even though we are using better software, they are still trying to push their way in the door. Just because we use their OS doesn't give them the right to harass us this way.

Back