Microsoft: Windows 7 is the fastest selling OS in history, over 90 million licenses sold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Microsoft Windows 7's popularity was evident from the get-go. The operating system received wide acclaim before it even hit store shelves, and Redmond shipped 234% more boxed versions of Windows 7 than Vista in the first few days of retail availability. It's been over four months now, and recent numbers show that Windows 7 is still a hot item. In fact, it has reportedly achieved an all-time high for Windows sales.

During a Morgan Stanley conference, Microsoft CFO Peter Klein revealed that the company has sold more than 90 million Windows 7 licenses. By comparison, 40 million copies of Windows Vista were shipped in a similar timeframe. In a statement on the Windows blog, Microsoft said it is "humbled and excited that people are still responding so positively to Windows 7 -- our customers have made it the fastest selling operating system in history."

As you're all aware (some of you painfully so), the Windows 7 RC started its bi-hourly shutdowns this week. For the stragglers out there, will you be purchasing a license? Are you already a part of the 90-plus million?

Permalink to story.

My current pc is about 5 years old ... aside from some ram and video card updates here and there. Should I upgrade from xp to win 7? How will it affect my current programs and games? I know my next pc build (hopefully in a few months) will include win 7 but i'm not sure if i should bother upgrading my old pc right now.

I upgraded my PC from RC to Windows 7 shortly after release. I am very saddened that I did not purchase their family packs.

well, microsoft deserves it. Windows 7 is much better than Vista. i don't think new modern games and software in the next year will support Windows XP anymore. i'll buy one too, but after i upgrade my hardware.

We had one computer in our house running W7 RC, but I just downgraded it to vista with its original license instead of shelling out for Windows 7. I am going to upgrade my desktop to windows 7 soon, probably on my next hardware upgrade. I have a copy server 2008 R2 64 bit, which is basically Windows 7, which I got for free from this Microsoft program for students, that I am going to put on it.

I will be installing Windows 7 in two computers this summer. I'm sure they will last me the 6+ years just like XP did.

Considering all the hype, advertising, and cheap prices it's a no brainer it would sell fast.
I love my Windows 7, still like XP but XP gets random problems like blue screens and major slow downs after using it for a long time without reinstalling the OS.

Timonius said:
My current pc is about 5 years old ... aside from some ram and video card updates here and there. Should I upgrade from xp to win 7? How will it affect my current programs and games? I know my next pc build (hopefully in a few months) will include win 7 but i'm not sure if i should bother upgrading my old pc right now.

I tried W7 on my laptop which I bought in 2006 and it is very nice Timonius and I'm sure it is going to work well on you computer too. I switched back to XP because 64bit drivers I found for W7 are not as good as original drivers and I couldn't customize some of my hardware (like touchpad and sound card) because of driver issues. So if you're going to build a new pc soon, I advice you to stick with XP and try W7 on your new machine.

Kudos to MS, Windows 7 is a very nice piece of software (IMO) and I really don't miss XP at all.

I purchased myself a copy 2 days after official release because I was so happy with the Beta and RC versions I used.

Would be interesting to see pirated figures too though, I wonder if it's the most pirated?

I gave XP the boot as well after buy W7 To help the numbers of fastest selling OS in history to make it's mark.Always nice to be part of history...

Of course is the best selling OS in history... i mean it only competes with itself.

Anyways and jokes aside, Windows 7 is a solid OS and i guess people are seeing that and responding nicely. Regular consumers where not thrilled at all with Vista after all he initial issues and this is the complete opposite, we just have to hope future releases are just like this one, well thought and not rushed.

I've been using 7 sense well the MSDN betas :p MSDN accounts are sweet... kind of pricey but sweet. I loved the earlier 70xx version of Win7 more then the final, it's a shame the keys we got for them expired months ago...

I still like Win7 its the best OS on the market, I've used more Linux distors then I can shake a stick at (Or at the very least remember now.), and after using OSX for a couple months I never want to touch an apple anything every again.

Still very happy with my Windows 7! XP was great for its time but 7 is really nicely done. Finally they do something right.

I've only briefly tried out 7 and it seems okay, But i'm not sure if i'm willing to pay money for what seems like to me just an updated UI. From what i've experienced, there are minimal differences between Windows 7 and XP on any other basis.

Well i am not too sure about choosing Windows 7. I will stick to my Windows XP for a year or two.
Or till microsoft officially stops Win XP support. It is said that they will stop XP support by 2014.

ashwingeek said:
Well i am not too sure about choosing Windows 7. I will stick to my Windows XP for a year or two.
Or till microsoft officially stops Win XP support. It is said that they will stop XP support by 2014.

Ah~ depends on what you call "Support"

Main support for XP ended On April 14, 2009
It only has Extended Support till 2014...

As for the difference... XP vs Win7 are like trying to compare Linux with BSD yeah sure the Interface may feel the same but at the core there totally different systems.

i worked with vista when it came out.. while with flaws it was still an upgrade from xp in my mind. windows 7 however just blows vista out the window. Microsoft should have just waited and released win7.

and it should be the fastest selling, improved looks, improved work efficiency and gaming while being fast running on pretty much any decent modern day computer.

My PC is about nearly 4 years old; and only thing I've changed was CPU, and got rid of an faulty ram module; and results on the new OS are ....... staggeringly better than Windows 6.x.

Windows 7 just runs great.It's the operating system every Windows user should use.
Faster, safer, looks prettier, more efficient - there isn't a reason to not use it (provided you have the money) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back