Microsoft working with gamers to rectify Xbox One disc drive problems

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft’s next generation console got off to a solid start over the weekend but the launch is in danger of being marred by a hardware issue. Some users have reported an issue with the Xbox One’s disc drive in which it makes a very loud grinding noise when inserting a disc and in some cases, it won’t read the contents of a disc at all.

Kotaku received around 150 e-mails in two days from disgruntled gamers affected by the problem. Microsoft has since released a statement on the matter, saying the issue affects only a very small number of Xbox One customers. Redmond noted they are working directly with those affected to get a replacement console out to them as soon as possible through their advanced exchange program.

Sony also received some complains following the launch of the PlayStation 4 on November 15. Users hit the web to report a technical issue in which a blue light would continually flash on the front of the console which prevented users from playing. Sony issued a troubleshooting guide in response to the complaints that outlines a number of causes and fixes for those affected by the problem.

With any luck, Microsoft’s disc drive issue will be an isolated event instead of a major quality control issue. The latter unfolded with early Xbox 360 units in which faulty hardware would cause three red lights to illuminate on the front of the machine known as the “red ring of death.”

Permalink to story.

Looks like a Phillips / Lite-On drive in there? I've ran into some trouble with those, but not usually within the first few hours of ownership.

A friend of mine has that same disc grinding noise issue, where the disc doesn't even play. keep getting error messages, and constant restarts. Sucks :(

Why are we even still using discs? Movies, games etc should be distributed via flash memory based solutions. No mechanical parts. Read life is extremely high. Reliability, shock resistance, size and so on...

Believe it or not many still prefer disks considering not everyone has a really fast or reliable Internet service, who wants to wait an entire day or two to download a 40 GB game? I sure don't if my Internet is slow and right now, it is. Damn you Uverse.

As for this hardware issue I am surprised there was no mention of the HDMI issue on the PS4 as well. At least the blue light blinking could be fixed with that trouble shooting guide, a disk and HDMI issue requires a replacement or repair.

And just in case you didn't know "day one" buyers are also known as guinea pigs, suckers and most importantly Beta testers. No hardware is good enough to warrant me pre-ordering, getting in line for days or buying it the first week because I am no fool, I get paid to Beta test not the other way around.

That's why I never buy consoles at launch. The initial batch always comes with problems.

The Problem with Flash memory is that it is still very expensive to store 50GB on, a Blu-ray can hold that and cost like 70p to make, flash would be many times that, then when you multiply that exponentially to cover several continents for people to buy the price has just sky rocketed compared to Blu-ray.

However I do agree with you guys that Flash is the future, with USB3 on these consoles transfer speeds would be immense meaning MUCH faster install times, no scratch issues and can be read many times before they deteriorate, Just a shame it's so damn expensive.

The Problem with Flash memory is that it is still very expensive to store 50GB on
The price will not come down until flash memory is mass produced. Hiding the cost of flash memory in every game sold would help increase production exponentially.

The Problem with Flash memory is that it is still very expensive to store 50GB on
The price will not come down until flash memory is mass produced. Hiding the cost of flash memory in every game sold would help increase production exponentially.

I agree, but it still will not be as cheap as Disks, manufacturing of Disks is relatively easy, memory chips are harder to manufacture, this means prices will always favor Disk based media.
I would like to see at least one of these console manufacturers try it this gen, allow the developer/publisher choose Flash via a USB stick if they so choose, I'm sure they could come up with some DRM system to make this possible.

Essentially, all were talking about here is going back to cartridge style systems over the disk based which will always be superior to the disk based systems. The problem stands on the price of course and honestly I doubt we will ever see that return because with that idea comes just DLC. Its a better option and its even cheaper than disks to do a DLC system over doing a Cartridge of disk and that is where the market will head soon enough (Its already begun with this generation). You can bet at some point the market will slowly get to where games start coming as "DLC Only" Editions.

Why are we even still using discs? Movies, games etc should be distributed via flash memory based solutions. No mechanical parts. Read life is extremely high. Reliability, shock resistance, size and so on...

Because they are cheaper and they work.

Essentially, all were talking about here is going back to cartridge style systems over the disk based which will always be superior to the disk based systems. The problem stands on the price of course and honestly I doubt we will ever see that return because with that idea comes just DLC. Its a better option and its even cheaper than disks to do a DLC system over doing a Cartridge of disk and that is where the market will head soon enough (Its already begun with this generation). You can bet at some point the market will slowly get to where games start coming as "DLC Only" Editions.

Ah, the good old days of blowing into game cartridges, finessing and sometimes slamming them into the console just to get them to work.

However I do agree with you guys that Flash is the future, with USB3 on these consoles transfer speeds would be immense meaning MUCH faster install times, no scratch issues and can be read many times before they deteriorate, Just a shame it's so damn expensive.

With the new consoles you can play while the game is installing so speed is not an issue, especially when you only have to install the game once.

While you guys are pondering how great flash drive installs would be, the rest of us will be continuing the transition to digital downloads via the internet making games cheaper in the long run, versus adding to the cost with flash drives.

PS, USB ports can be faulty, and data on flash drives can get corrupted.

Because they are cheaper and they work.
Relatively speaking - barely. Cost of hardware required to play them - high. Manufacturing issues with disc drives - high. Support costs from disc related issues - high. Cost of packaging relative to that required for flash - high.

You are inheriting a lot more than the disc costs and mass distributed flash for the entire platform would gain from economies of scale.

Considering I can buy a 4GB thumb drive from Officeworks for ~$4 RRP, I'm not thinking flash is all that expensive nowadays. The plus side too is you have much better granularity of flash sizes than you do for DVD.

While you guys are pondering how great flash drive installs would be, the rest of us will be continuing the transition to digital downloads via the internet making games cheaper in the long run, versus adding to the cost with flash drives.

PS, USB ports can be faulty, and data on flash drives can get corrupted.
Far less issues with flash than discs which is the point. They still want to maintain a physical copy medium. I'm suggesting flash is better is most respects.

Ah, the good old days of blowing into game cartridges, finessing and sometimes slamming them into the console just to get them to work.
Ahh, yes the good ole days.
<sarcasm>I wonder why we don't still have that very same issue with flash drives?</sarcasm>

The idea is not to bring back old obsolete technology, but to move forward. Forward which doesn't include optical media. Storing data on chips is the future, not optical or magnetic storage. The industry is only stalling, so they can pick every last penny from the consumer before SSD's hit mainstream.

Relatively speaking - barely. Cost of hardware required to play them - high. Manufacturing issues with disc drives - high. Support costs from disc related issues - high. Cost of packaging relative to that required for flash - high.

You are inheriting a lot more than the disc costs and mass distributed flash for the entire platform would gain from economies of scale.

Considering I can buy a 4GB thumb drive from Officeworks for ~$4 RRP, I'm not thinking flash is all that expensive nowadays. The plus side too is you have much better granularity of flash sizes than you do for DVD.

4GB for $5? Cool, now you only need to buy 11 more to get 50GB (bluray size). It costs manufacturers ~$2 to make one bluray disc. There is no way in heck anyone could get a quality 50GB flash drive down to that price to compete with current bluray discs. Even if they did, the difference in speed would be minimal at best. Keep it real.

Flash drive installs won't happen.

Ahh, yes the good ole days.
<sarcasm>I wonder why we don't still have that very same issue with flash drives?</sarcasm>

The idea is not to bring back old obsolete technology, but to move forward. Forward which doesn't include optical media. Storing data on chips is the future, not optical or magnetic storage. The industry is only stalling, so they can pick every last penny from the consumer before SSD's hit mainstream.

Are you really comparing 8-bit cartridges to flash drives? I hope not. Digital downloads is moving forward.

Far less issues with flash than discs which is the point. They still want to maintain a physical copy medium. I'm suggesting flash is better is most respects.

That's not true. If it were true we'd be using them for OS's and they are under 8GB, so why the heck would manufacturers use them for 50GB games? It doesn't make sense to use flash drives. All it does is add to the cost of the product.

Back