Microsoft's desktop Start menu won't appear until next major Windows release in 2015

Jos

Staff

Microsoft made several desktop-friendly tweaks to Windows 8.1 Update 1 and the much-anticipated return of the Start menu was supposedly slated for Update 2 later this year. According to a ZDNet report, however, the company has decided to hold off on this feature until sometime in 2015.

Update 2 is reportedly still on tap for August this year sans the revamped menu. Instead, Microsoft plans to deliver that feature as part of the next major release of Windows, dubbed Threshold -- a.k.a Windows 9 -- which is currently rumoured to launch roughly a year from now in April 2015.

No reason was given for the delay -- WinSuperSite's Paul Thurrot says this was the original schedule for the Start menu so it’s possible the company simply couldn’t speed up delivery of the feature and not necessarily hit a snag.

Microsoft VP Terry Myerson showed off a mockup of the retooled Start Menu at Build 2014, but he left out specifics in terms of timing. Unlike past iterations the new menu is expected to combine the classic menu UI with a selection of your Live Tiles to the right showing at-a-glance information and updates.

Of course, you don’t need to wait for Microsoft’s official release to get the familiar Start menu experience as there are more than a few from third parties readily available, including Start8, Classic Start 8 and Classic Shell.

Permalink to story.

It gives plenty of room to someone else to pick up the ball, like Apple, and judging by the announcements during live conference right now, they really do.

Each day they continue to go on without the start menu is another day they tend to lose another user to Android, Chrome or Mac OSX. Microsoft can easily gain back the users they've lost, but the longer they waitg and delay the things "we" want, the wose it is for Surface, Windows Phone and Xbox One. The future and current state of Windows directly affects the sucess of all 3 of these products.

On a side note, I know some people don't want a start menu, but let's face it...the masses do and it NEEDS to come back ASAP. The most exciting thing shown at Build 2014 was the start menu and we're not even getting it in 2014.

Are you ******* serious Microsoft? The delay of the Start Menu is fine if time is all you need to get it right....but live tiles? How do I put this so that you understand it Microsoft? The idea of "live tiles" needs to be killed off in the same way your brain cells have been killed off. It's a disaster, just like Windows 8 itself. Live Tiles is simply 1 reason of a multitude of reasons I will never ever use or install Windows 8. Especially, having seen it first hand, now that my Dad was "forced" into using it via his new system purchase. I've been calling Windows 8 a turd from its inception up through now. Now, having actually used it, I still stand by my comments. It's a ******* disaster. Adding back something you should have NEVER removed to begin with and then changing the name of Windows 8 and serving the same ******** to your customers isn't gonna fly Microsoft. Microsoft take a ****** HINT. Desktop users don't want tablet ******* features on the desktop. Do you understand that Microsoft?

Why would anybody want live tiles on a start menu? Here comes Frankenstein 9. One more operating system composed of multiple body parts. Windows is ******* DEAD!!!

This is so stupid...SO stupid that MS can't figure this out. How much money do you think they've lost to Stardock for Start8 ($5 to install) just so people can get their start button back? Even at that low price, it's probably in the millions.

I'm thinking the whole Windows 8 fiasco is bypassing Vista as the worst OS they've ever released.

Each day they continue to go on without the start menu is another day they tend to lose another user to Android, Chrome or Mac OSX. Microsoft can easily gain back the users they've lost, but the longer they waitg and delay the things "we" want, the wose it is for Surface, Windows Phone and Xbox One. The future and current state of Windows directly affects the sucess of all 3 of these products.

On a side note, I know some people don't want a start menu, but let's face it...the masses do and it NEEDS to come back ASAP. The most exciting thing shown at Build 2014 was the start menu and we're not even getting it in 2014.

I think the entire flawed theory Microsoft won't let go of is that they think they can please "everybody on the planet" with one version of Windows. They had it right for so many years and then came Windows 8.....*sigh*.

Now that I think about it, they do have two separate version of Windows 8. But I think that's just a gimmick.

They probably view Windows 8 as even if they fix this people will not grab this OS and are just going to move on to the next one. Windows 9 is just going to be a fixed up Windows 8/8.1 similar to how 7 was a fixed up Vista so I guess this is their theory. Hopefully they will go ahead and add it as well with Windows 9 release on 8.1 but I would not hold my breath.

Heh, of all the problems with Windows 8, the start menu is at the bottom for me. It was replaced with that metro screen, and hasn't bugged me since...

Oh folks like TheBigFatClown really make me smile. I mean it is seriously hilarious. I think once you and folks like you actually get another 10 or so years under your belt of using an OS (any OS) you will finally come to the realization that: 1. you install applications on top of an OS to get them to do what you want them to do (hint hint, Classic Shell), 2. OS's are going to change for better or for worse depending upon your point of view. Getting mad about an OS change is like getting mad about the grass growing. It is preposterous. lol, just so funny

As a mobile OS, 8 is fine but they fumbled then dropped the ball on their own goal line when designing it for desktops, maybe they thought desktops would be dead and buried by now. It's now gone through a multitude of updates and has improved a little but it's still a turd will remain so. They really didn't make many friends in the desktop market with it.

This is so stupid...SO stupid that MS can't figure this out. How much money do you think they've lost to Stardock for Start8 ($5 to install) just so people can get their start button back? Even at that low price, it's probably in the millions.

I'm thinking the whole Windows 8 fiasco is bypassing Vista as the worst OS they've ever released.

My vote for worst released is Windows ME

Oh folks like TheBigFatClown really make me smile. I mean it is seriously hilarious. I think once you and folks like you actually get another 10 or so years under your belt of using an OS (any OS) you will finally come to the realization that: 1. you install applications on top of an OS to get them to do what you want them to do (hint hint, Classic Shell), 2. OS's are going to change for better or for worse depending upon your point of view. Getting mad about an OS change is like getting mad about the grass growing. It is preposterous. lol, just so funny
That's true to an extent but would you put a brand new Bugatti Veyron body shell over a clapped out 1960's VW Beetle chassis? No matter how glamorous it looks on the outside, the underpinnings is what counts.

Or. You can get startisback+ for 3 dollars and it looks EXACTLY the way it does in Windows 7. it works great. I use it on all my computers. Even my office one. I havent updated everyones office PC to Windows 8.1 because of this issue, but I just might now.

I think this is a bad move for consumers, but a good move for MS. It just another feature that MS can market... "The start menu you know and love is back"...

@FlintBeastw00d, non-advanced users aren't aware of these 3rd party options. And as an advanced user myself, I've tried 3 different start menu applications and I still managed to somehow manage to launch the start screen because the mapping to the "fake" start button only covers a certain area of the bottom left hand corner. Non-of them seem completely polished enought anyway.

I for one would prefer a functional and productive desktop OS out of the box --- I use Windows 8 daily on my Surface RT and occasionally on my non-touch laptop, but I refuse to put productivity desktop. It would just slow down my workflow for photo editing. I was planning to finally get Windows 8.1 with the addition of the start menu I thought would be in Update 2. But I guess I'll hold off for threshold

Come on man. Cut me some slack. I gotta feign some anger to get what I want in life, right? Hell, my rants...alone....are probably why you guys are getting your start menu back. LOL. Squeaky wheel gets the grease you know. But since this is a public forum I figure why not make a spectacle of myself.

But in all honesty. Windows 8 sucks. It feels cheap to me. And dumbed down but that's the target audience so...what can you do....

I think this is a bad move for consumers, but a good move for MS. It just another feature that MS can market... "The start menu you know and love is back"...
^^
This

This will happen and I'm going to laugh.
Just imagine the adverts!

"That feature we've had for as long as you can remember is back! Meet, the start menu..."

And then there will be third-party programs to remove those useless "live tiles" from the Win9 Start Menu.

Windows ME the best from MS till now, you can do everything, 2nd Windows 7, 3rd Dos 6.22

Back