Note: Classic Shell is no longer under development but you can try Open Shell which is a continuation of the project.
It has a customizable Start menu and Start button for Windows 7 and Windows 8, it adds a toolbar for Windows Explorer and supports a variety of smaller features.
Classic Start Menu is a clone of the original start menu, which you can find in all versions of Windows from 95 to Vista. It has a variety of advanced features:
- Drag and drop to let you organize your applications
- Options to show Favorites, expand Control Panel, etc
- Shows recently used documents. The number of documents to display is customizable
- Translated in 35 languages, including Right-to-left support for Arabic and Hebrew
- Does not disable the original start menu in Windows. You can access it by Shift+Click on the start button
- Right-click on an item in the menu to delete, rename, sort, or perform other tasks
- The search box helps you find your programs without getting in the way of your keyboard shortcuts
- Supports jumplists for easy access to recent documents and common tasks
- Available for 32 and 64-bit operating systems
- Has support for skins, including additional 3rd party skins
- Fully customizable in both looks and functionality
- Support for Microsoft’s Active Accessibility
- Converts the “All Programs” button in the Windows menu into a cascading menu (Vista and Windows 7)
- Implements a customizable Start button (Windows 7 and 8)
- Can show, search and launch Windows Store apps (Windows 8)
- And last but not least – it's FREE!
This is the first version to officially support Windows 10. It fixes all known crashes and compatibility issues with Windows 10.
- The start menu searches modern PC settings for Windows 8.1 and Windows 10
- Added new Midnight skin with dark background
- Added new flat Metro skin that uses the start screen colors
- New ability to apply settings from XML files from command line: use ClassicStartMenu.exe -xml
- New setting to override the system DPI resolution only for the start menu
- New setting to change the user picture
- Improved support for touch and high resolution displays
- Added support for Scottish, Catalan, Macedonian and Persian languages
- Multiple minor improvements and bugfixes
Apps similar to Classic Shell 5
Classic style Start Menu for Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10. Reborn of Classic Shell.
Start8 brings the “Start” menu back to Windows 8.
- Free to Try
Somebody removed it, we bring it back: a Windows 8 start button + start menu.
- Free to Try
- Windows 8