1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Microsoft's Direct3D team turns office hallway into a GPU shrine

By Shawn Knight · 7 replies
Jan 10, 2019
Post New Reply
  1. You’ll likely want to budget some extra time if you ever get the opportunity to take a stroll down the office halls of Microsoft’s Direct3D division.

When you’ve been developing a graphics application programming interface (API) for as long as they have, you’ll naturally accumulate a lot of hardware. In Microsoft’s case, it’s more than 400 different GPUs spanning 35 years of hardware history.

Rather than put the old graphics cards in storage, the team decided to transform its office hallways into a museum of GPU history. Fortunately for us, they’ve documented some of the history over on the Microsoft Developer blog.

There’s some memorable hardware here including the GeForce 256 (the first graphics card I owned that required active cooling), an Xbox developer kit and a 3DFX Voodoo card. For some inexplicable reason, whoever was in charge of photography failed miserably (400 x 300 resolution in 2019? C’mon).

With any luck, Microsoft will read the comments and upload high-res versions for our enjoyment. Pretty please?

Permalink to story.

2. ckm88

ckm88 TS Enthusiast Posts: 35   +25

Ahhhh, the good ol' GeForce 256 days. My first real gaming card as well along with my Intel Pentium III processor and gig of ram. #nostalgia

Reehahs, ManuelV and psycros like this.
  3. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 8,060   +1,189

Maybe Steve should do the same :)

toooooot and Satish Mallya like this.
  4. Experimentongod

Experimentongod TS Maniac Posts: 284   +121

Wow the Diamond Monster 3D I still have mine laying around somwhere :p

ShagnWagn likes this.
  5. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 2,385   +2,048

I did that in the spare room where I keep my hardware. I think my favorite piece is the Gravis Ultrasound.

6. Unusual Kmc

Unusual Kmc TS Rookie

The real question is...

How much does that wall cost now?

ckm88 likes this.
  7. Satish Mallya

Satish Mallya TS Maniac Posts: 174   +161

That'd make for a fantastic article!
    And you'd have benchmarks to go with it!

Stark likes this.
  8. Stark

Stark TS Booster Posts: 86   +84

May be that photography resolution was due to subconsciously keeping Intel UHD capacities in mind.
    but none the less very cool.