Mint Ferrari Enzo sets record for most expensive car ever sold in online auction

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Covid-19 has, at least for the time being, forced a rethink of how we approach large, in-person gatherings. In lieu of such functions, much of the world is now relying on the Internet to conduct business and during a recent automotive auction, buyers showed no signs of being gun-shy with regarding to shelling out big bucks for some of the most sought-after vehicles in the world.

Classic car auction company RM Sotheby’s recently set a new record for the most expensive vehicle ever sold online at $2,640,000. The 2003 Ferrari Enzo in question, one of only 400 ever built, features a 65-degree Tipo F140B V12 that churns out 651 horsepower and 485 lb-ft of torque. Ferrari only made the model from 2002 through 2004.

According to Ferrari, it was capable of reaching 60 mph in just 3.3 seconds and could hit a top speed of 218 mph. This particular example had less than 1,250 original miles and was located in the Los Angeles area.

Another model, a 1985 Ferrari 288 GTO, brought in $2,310,000.

Gord Duff, head of auctions at RM Sotheby’s, said they are extremely pleased with the results of their first online-only collector car auction curated specifically for the digital platform. The auction, which featured nearly 200 vehicles and 24 lots of memorabilia, generated north of 550,000 page views, Duff added. In total, it generated more than $16.4 million in sales.

Images courtesy RM Sotheby's

Permalink to story.

No doubt both of these cars will sit in garage's and never driven.

For that kinda of money I would be scared to put this on the road with all the ***** drivers. Any Kind of dings or repairs will cause these cars to lose quite abit of value.

On a track both being overtaken by $40K Nissan GT-R or Tesla S/3.
Still, If I had the money I would buy the Ferrari.

And GT-R, for the change...

$2,640,000 is pretty low considering the new Bugatti Chiron Super Sports that exceed 300mph cost over $3 Million each.

The Enzo is a work of art but I don't think it is practical for road use. So many hypercars really aren't any good on an actual public road. It's hugely wide, low, impossible to see out of. Monstrously wide sills, butterfly doors.

Can't park it, can't do three point turns or make tight turns. You can lift the nose for humps but it'll still graunch and grind on slightly rough surfaces or uneven intersections. Stiffly sprung, skinny tyres, huge wheels. You'll either get a back injury or get a big repair bill. In general, a nightmare. I wouldn't take one many places.

The 288 GTO however I would. It's from a time where it was considered mad fast, but not yet into the insanely extreme suspension or dimension aesthetics that followed with the F40. It's merely a pumped up 308 after all.

The Enzo is a work of art but I don't think it is practical for road use. So many hypercars really aren't any good on an actual public road. It's hugely wide, low, impossible to see out of. Monstrously wide sills, butterfly doors.

Can't park it, can't do three point turns or make tight turns. You can lift the nose for humps but it'll still graunch and grind on slightly rough surfaces or uneven intersections. Stiffly sprung, skinny tyres, huge wheels. You'll either get a back injury or get a big repair bill. In general, a nightmare. I wouldn't take one many places.

The 288 GTO however I would. It's from a time where it was considered mad fast, but not yet into the insanely extreme suspension or dimension aesthetics that followed with the F40. It's merely a pumped up 308 after all.
I know a lot of places in my area where it could lose a front bumper. WA has too many ups and downs.

"When it was new, the Ferrari Enzo had a $670,000 price tag on it." --Google

What a nice investment that more than tripled in value. I wonder if it appreciated more than Los Angeles real estate.

What a nice investment that more than tripled in value. I wonder if it appreciated more than Los Angeles real estate.
It isnt all negative though. When protesters start mass dying of corona, the prices for rent will go down hopefully. And then Cali's useless officials will have solved one of many problems they failed to solve for many years.

Such a waste of money... just shows that money cannot buy you common sense.

If you are dying to have one, the following is way more sensible, according to your budget:

* $20k - cheap-*** replica for a racer wannabe, or a ricer more like.
* $150k - proper, high-quality replica, indistinguishable from the original.
* $500k - get most of the original parts from Ferrari, crash auctions or eBay, and put the original car together yourself.

Note that for each option above you would end with a new car, and not something that's been rotting in a garage for 20 years.

So paying for that car 2.6 million is utterly insane.

Last edited:
It has to do with the fact that they made 400 of them (planned limited), and that you had to already own at least one Ferrari, be important enough and rich enough to even be considered for pre-order.
It has everything to do with philanthropy and only 400 being made. It's a good racing car, but it's not the best car.

Back