Missing uxtheme.dll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there. Well, the title says it all. Don't know what I've done to lose it, but its gone. I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 Laptop that was having issues with uxtheme.dll missing an entry. I try to fix that and end up losing it all together. I boot up the computer and all it shows is an error stating that uxtheme.dll is missing and suggests that I re-install it to fix the issue. But I have no icons, nothing on the screen. Only my wallpaper. Oh, and I am running Windows XP Media Edition SP2. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cool, cool. My only problem is that I don't know how to get it on my computer since I don't have any internet or icons or any way to get to that file to put it on the computer. Know what I mean? All I have is a blank screen.

Thanks. I was able to do a System Restore and I have icons again! I'm still having an issues with uxtheme though. It says I'm missing entry #64 when I go to change from Classic Windows style to XP style. I used the patch and still get the error. But I can live with it!

Go to control panel -> administrative tools -> event viewer

Look for errors in last 24 hours

Get details on those errors only -> Need the EventID and source

Then we can look up specifics hopefully

Thanks! I went ahead and did a system restore back before I had the missing #64 and all is back to normal. I can't thank you enough for all your help!

hey there... im kinda havin the same problem... it really sucks... i tried to put Vista themes on my computer... and it told me to adjust the uxtheme.dll file to uxtheme.dll.old.... so i did... and it royally messed up my computer... now when i log on to my pc... all it says is "uxtheme.dll file missing... please re-install to fix this problem".... i cant see anything when i log on... just my black wallpaper.... and there are no icons... no menus... just my mouse... is there anyway i can enter some code into the DOS in Safe mode to adjust this... or what can i do... i don't want to take my computer to a tech support dude to pay him money.... i need help.. PLEASE.... thank you...

First, Reboot your computer while tapping the F8 Key. At the Advanced Options Menu select Last Known Good Configuration.

If this doesn't work

You most likely will need to do a repair install of XP.

Disconnect from the internet until you are finished and can run microsoft update. This can be done by going to www.update.microsoft.com

Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below
  • To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER. (PRESS ENTER)
  • To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.(Do NOT press R)
  • To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

Accept the License Agreement (F8) and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, END setup.

Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

After the repair install you will have to reinstall updates from Microsoft. Your data will still be intact but the microsoft updates will not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back