Mobile hotspot issues

Hi guys.
Recently I've been having trouble connecting to my mobile phones WiFi hotspot with my laptop.
I can connect to the hotspot with any other device, such as the tablet I'm using now, and I can also connect to any other WiFi using my laptop. The problem appears to exist purely between my laptop and my phone.
When attempting to connect it will begin authenticating and then disconnect, offering me the troubleshooter. Sometimes there is a small volume of packet transfer but not often. I have tried disabling and reenabling all of my network adaptors to no avail and I'm somewhat at a loss of what to do next.
The phone in question is a Motorola razr I if that helps, but I have to point out that it worked flawlessly until recently.
I suspect the culprit may be hamachi as it had very recently been installed onto my computer at the time and it appears to be a known trouble maker.
But I still don't understand why no other problems have arisen. Hamachi has been uninstalled but the problem persists.
Any suggestions or ideas that could help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time guys.
Mencil

What OS is on the Laptop and which Firewall are you using?

The problem appears to exist purely between my laptop and my phone. When attempting to connect it will begin authenticating and then disconnect, offering me the troubleshooter.
huh? Connecting how: Bluetooth, Infra Red? The WiFi adaptors of both the phone and the laptop are never going to connect, unless you're attempting peer-to-peer which has limited utility.

If you're connecting via a router, then the PC is not the issue.

The laptop is has a Windows 7 OS and the Firewall is just windows firewall.
I'm using the laptops wifi ability to connect to the phone, which is able to generate a wifi hotspot, in a sense turning itself into a router I guess. I'm using a work around by USB tethering the phone to the laptop which seems to work just as well, as my laptop now has internet and I'm using it to type this message.
I would still like to know what the problem is though, and whether it can be fixed.
As I said, they've worked together flawlessly for month and only recently have they developed a problem.
If it is the phone that's the issue, since it's behaving like a router, could that be fixed without sending it to a shop? As I said it's working with other devices, just not the laptops wifi.

Hotspots are normally accessed using the PC wifi adaptor, eg
PC - - wifi - - Hotspot​
but you are first attempting
Cell Phone - - tethered to - - PC​
and that would allow
Cell Phone Tower -- Cell Phone -- tethered to - - PC​

So, I can only guess you are attempting to get
Cell Phone Tower -- Cell Phone -- tethered to - - PC --wifi-- Hotspot​

Personally, that's contradictory (cell access == wifi-hotspot access), but more seriously, whichever connection is created first, it will dominate the other (ie starve it from sending/receiving anything).

This is due to the routing table being created with the default route going to the gateway of the first connection.

I would anticipate that the order in which the connections are made would have an impact.
  1. Wifi First would be the easiest and create the default route via the hotspot.
  2. Cell tethering might then succeed in making the connection, but have no traffic. (recall that this connection is created from the cell phone itself.)
now reverse that sequence and
  1. Cell phone tethering succeeds and your pc gets traffic just fine
  2. but attempt the wifi connection and it will fail due to the existing routing table forcing traffic out to the cell phone instead of the hotspot.

I'm using my phone to connect to the internet via 3G using its mobile Internet.
The USB tethering I mentioned is something I have only done in order to get around the lack of wifi. In other words, as long as the wifi worked I never used it. So I don't think the conflict you described could be the problem since I never used them at the same time and the wifi connection ceased working a while before I started trying the tethering.
As I said, it worked fine until recently but now my laptop, and only my laptop, is unable to connect to the wifi. I'm just trying to find out why.

Ok you're not tethering at the time of the wifi problem.
Recently I've been having trouble connecting to my mobile phones WiFi hotspot with my laptop.
I can connect to the hotspot with any other device, such as the tablet I'm using now, and I can also connect to any other WiFi using my laptop. The problem appears to exist purely between my laptop and my phone.
When attempting to connect it will begin authenticating and then disconnect, offering me the troubleshooter.
then that was sure misleading.

" I can also connect to any other WiFi using my laptop" so WiFi is not an issue at a hotspot.

"exist purely between my laptop and my phone" so your problem is Tethering and has nothing to do with hotspots.

"The phone in question is a Motorola raz" did you double check the settings on the phone?

I have the Motorola Razz Max and had to use it as hot spot last month when the power was lost for more than 8 hours. Depending on how your phone was setup you have to change the default SSID and passcode. Then you can use the cell phone 3G or 4G LTE for me as WiFi hotpot. Once that enabled on the phone then you can use it. The laptop will see the SSID then you connect with passcode that should connect. Might have to give it a chance too. Reboot the cell phone if you have issues.

Did you ever get it to work. I am having same issue with my phone's hotspot to laptop. If hotspot is set to open laptop connects but the moment I set up a WPA it won't connect and yes password is correct. Every other device connects fine with WPA.

I'm facing the same issue, I have two android phones 2 android tablets and my laptop, everything connects to the network just fine, the two tablets are connected to the 2 phones via WiFi hotspot and run perfectly, but my laptop will only connect to the internet when connected to one of the phones WiFi hotspot and not the other, gives me a DNS_BAD_CONFIG error, the phones are running android 4.4.2 and 5.0, 4.4.2 works and 5.0 doesn't although I don't think this is the issue. I have tried all sorts to get thus working and can confirm USB tethering as a viable work around but no solution for this yet.

Did you ever get a resolution to this issue? My Droid MAXX has a similar problem recently. When I turn on the mobile hotspot and try to connect my laptop wirelessly, it will no longer connect. I do notice a recurring message on my phone saying 'unknown device disconnected' - which shows a blank IP address but shows the correct MAC address for my laptop. I was able to get another device to connect to my mobile hotspot & I have been able to get my laptop to connect to a different Wi-Fi. I have Win 7, AVG Antivirus. Not sure about the Firewall, unless it's standard Windows Firewall.

Hi,
I looked around and did not see this issue anywhere, and I need an answer. I have a PC that can connect using my home WIFI to a website (that has restricted access). When I use the same computer and attempt to connect via my cell phone's hot spot, it won't connect. Nothing special was done to have it work on my home network (which is Knology/WOW). Any ideas? If the site is connectable on the open Internet, it should be connectable from a hot spot.

Larry

I started having this problem recently. To be specific, I could connect to all wifi hotspots from my laptop but recently, connection to my mobile phone's hotspot started malfunctioning. I would connect to my mobile phone hotspot and
- the laptop would connect but I would not be able to access web pages or
- I would see the following status below the hotspot name: "No internet, connected".

Tried a lot of things on my laptop including some of the solutions above. Nothing worked.
Since I could connect to other wifi hotspots from my laptop, it did not make sense to reset stuff on my laptop. So finally, I reset the wifi etc connections on my phone. To be more specific, I did the following:
- I first synced my phone/transferred my contacts etc to my google drive.
- Then I went to Settings -> System -> Reset options.
- I selected the option "Reset Wi-fi, mobile, & Bluetooth" and went through the reset process.

Doing the above solved my problem and now my laptop is again connecting to my phone hotspot.
I should mention that since I selected the wifi reset option and not the factory reset option, syncing the data may not have been necessary. But I would still save my data if I were to do it all over again, just to be safe.

Best of luck.

Back