Mobile Networking N85

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a HP laptop with bluetooth, wireless and a lan connection that is used to connect to the internet.

How do i set up the wireless network so that i can connect my nokia n85 to the internet through it?

I'm using windows vista home 32 and all my attempts have been unsuccessful

Thank you for the replies!

-Sharon

the page on the N85 I saw says that it has builtin WIFI. If thats the case you can simply browse for a network on the phone and your there.

I've been trying just that. Set up my laptop wi-fi to share my laptop's internet connection, created a wireless network, etc. but my mobile cant access the internet when connecting to the wifi network.
I did manage to connect to the net successfully once but then the internet on my laptop wouldnt work. Cant remember wat i did now tho...
Any ideas?

so u use ur wired connection for network and u want the n85 setup as a wireless client? if so u need an ad-hoc network btw the 2 devices with a shared internet connection....thats the process i used before i got my router

i've tried the ad-hoc network setup with no success. i think its reached the point where i have to set up the network configurations manually on the phone and the laptop. i need guidance for this as im not an expert.
thanks

Hi brucethetech
I know where to find the settings on my N85. What i need help with is the ip setup of my network.
i,e, my lan connects me to the internet and my university's nat or watever assigns me a new ip address every time.
if i set up an ad-hoc network, for some reason windows changes my lan ip to 192.168.0.1, meaning i cant connect to the internet from my laptop anymore.
im confused. i thought the setup could simply be
N85->HP Wifi->HP Lan->Internet
For some reason this is much more complicated than i anticipated.
Any suggestions?

ok here's what ive tried so far.

1.local area connection gets a different ip address every time i connect. right now its 134.225.188.230,
default gateway is 134.225.188.254,
primary and secondary dns addresses are 134.225.159.101 and 134.225.159.37

2.set up an ad hoc network 'Incubus' with WEP

3.wireless lan is set to allow networked users to share the computer's internet connection.

4.wireless lan is set to configure ip addresses automatically (dhcp)

5.all firewalls disabled for now

now i've tried allowing the phone to acquire settings automatically and manually entering the ip address as 192.168.0.3, 255.255.255.0(same as lan),
default gateways tried both 134.225.188.230 and 134.225.188.259,
dns servers tried both 134.225.188.230 and 134.225.159.101 and 134.225.159.37.

With every attempt at mixing n matching the settings, my phone keeps giving me 'no gateway reply' errors when i try to browse a website.

please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back