Mobile phone users to be punished as "war criminals" in North Korea

Rick

Staff

According to the country's government, North Koreans caught using a mobile phone will be deemed as war criminals and punished accordingly, The Telegraph reports. The same punishment also extends to those attempting to flee the country's borders, an offense that historically has landed one-time offenders in labor camps and repeated offenders a death sentence. 

News of the authoritarian cellphone ban comes during the 100 days following Kim Jong-il's death, North Korea's former leader. The period of 100 days following Kim Jong-il's demise is intended to be a nationally observed length of time for North Koreans to mourn his passing. Meanwhile the deceased leader's son, 29-year old Kim Jong-un, will be working to continuing the dynasty's reign.

It is thought that the ban exists to quell any chance of "Arab Spring" style protests during this transitional and symbolic time. Even so, North Korea's 3G cell phone network is said to impose severe limitations, allowing access to only a handful of nationalist websites and even then, only to a select few.

The country's previous cell phone network was short-lived, abruptly shut down in 2004 without any official explanation. North Korea's current cellular network has been in operation since 2008 and was developed by an Egyptian telecommunications company.

Just a few months ago, North Korea was projected to have over 1 million cell phone users before the the start of 2012. Although that's a large number by most measures, that six digit figure accounts for roughly five percent of the total population. The country's current network reaches about 94 percent of the population, but covers roughly 15 percent of the country's surface area.

Permalink to story.

this is terrible. Its hard to think theres not much we can do for those people that don't want to be there.. Not just the cell phones, their whole living situation.

there is something one can do, get some high end donor (bill gates for example) that cares about the world in general to donate 100 million or so for the recruiting, training, hiding, and materials for a high end team of "special people". Heck, instead of having a true killing squad, even get yourself a couple Drones to do the job for you. Seems like a movie doesn't it? Not even being sarcastic. I am actually surprised this hasn't happened yet considering the people that need to "disappear" from head of dictatorship states currently killing their citizens.

In the US people with more than 7 days of food or missing fingers can be considered a possible terrorist. And the NDAA act signed into law very shady like on new years eve lets the president send american citizens to guantamo bay cuba prison without a trial or anything. But that isn't as bad as the fact we have the first president that has assassinated american citizens. Anwar Alalaki (or whatever) may have been bad, but he deserved a trial as a citizens because we're guaranteed them in the bill of rights.

I can't comment on the missing fingers etc.. But I'll assume your a Ron Paul fan. Like him or not, he might be the first guy running awhile that actually cares about rights. I can't say I see eye to eye with all of his ideas, but he has some good things to say.

spydercanopus said:
And the NDAA act signed into law very shady like on new years eve lets the president send american citizens to guantamo bay cuba prison without a trial or anything. But that isn't as bad as the fact we have the first president that has assassinated american citizens. Anwar Alalaki (or whatever) may have been bad, but he deserved a trial as a citizens because we're guaranteed them in the bill of rights.

I'm no lawyer and I definitely don't support the suspension of habeas corpus, but just to play devil's advocate...

The NDAA is a bit of a red herring -- the president has had this power since 9/11 thanks to the authorization of use act. http://news.findlaw.com/wp/docs/terrorism/sjres23.es.html

That doesn't make it right, but I find it bizarre that people NOW want to complain about this after giving up the argument several years ago. It's also a convenient way to attack the president, deserving or not.

The NDAA itself isn't not solely to detain citizens etc.. It's a national defense bill that is periodically pushed through Congress. It's really nothing new, although I think any bill with such provisions should be vetoed without question. http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-112hr1540enr/pdf/BILLS-112hr1540enr.pdf

The second thing is, there is a provision in the bill that prevents american citizens from being detained on the president's whim. Again, I'm not a lawyer, but to detain a citizen (ignoring all of the other terrible laws that are on the books that probably DO allow it), it requires Congressional approval. At least that's how I understand it.

That doesn't make it right either, but when people point the finger at the president and don't bother mentioning Congress and so on... the talking points become little more than popular political rhetoric.

(4) WAIVER FOR NATIONAL SECURITY.—The President may waive the requirement of paragraph (1) if the President submits to Congress a certification in writing that such a waiver is in the national security interests of the United States.

(b) APPLICABILITY TO UNITED STATES CITIZENS AND LAWFUL
RESIDENT ALIENS.—
(1) UNITED STATES CITIZENS.—The requirement to detain a person in military custody this section does not extend to citizens of the United States.

It's terrible that anyone at all can be detained indefinitely and for such broad reasons, but I guess that's the world we live in these days, eh? :(

imagine if the west would punish Facebook and Twitters users in a similar fashion . . . ahhh bliss.

:p

America does such things to prevent terrorist activities from ever happening and it's really extreme but they have a purpose for doing so. This North Korea, is doing it because they are, hmm, lets say mad? or would crazy would be the appropriate word?

They are basically blocking every technological innovation that has been created in the world. Deprived of food, usage of internet and now you can't even use your own bloody cell phone?

Here I thought when Kim Jong-il died, things would be a little bit better but now it just shows how unbelievably extreme and crazy his son is or is it the officials?

****, isn't this just abuse towards the people in North Korea? I really pity them.

What a surprise, the brainwashed son of the crazy dictator is just like his dad...

I feel for those people, I really do but a lot of whats going on there is just plain ignorance. When your government forbids you from leaving the country *ever* you should start to realize you are under "house arrest" for life and maybe should start doing something about it.

To those ppl who scream about America and their laws, let me remind you that America enactted these Laws after 21 ppl decided the World Trade Center would look better with a pair of planes in it. Yea America had some oddball Laws previous to the 9/11 incident. But can you blame the American Law Makers at all? I mean really? Alot of ppl died due to a terrorist activity. Afew planes hit govt buildings. Is it any surprise that those laws were put into place??
As for North Korea......I would hope the ppl would stand up and defend themselves against this sort of dictatorship. But they cant and more importantly....they wont. They have lived under a batshit crazy govt. The ppl are so broken and beaten Im surprised they wake up in the morning. People who dont have "FREEDOM" have no idea as to what they are missing. To them its an idea. A goal that one day they will achieve freedom. But until the masses get upset they wont have it

Guest said:
there is something one can do, get some high end donor (bill gates for example) that cares about the world in general to donate 100 million or so for the recruiting, training, hiding, and materials for a high end team of "special people". Heck, instead of having a true killing squad, even get yourself a couple Drones to do the job for you. Seems like a movie doesn't it? Not even being sarcastic. I am actually surprised this hasn't happened yet considering the people that need to "disappear" from head of dictatorship states currently killing their citizens.

bill gates doesnt care about korea lol, he only donates money to starving children he could give a crap less if his korean buddy cant call him anymore.

Mindwraith said:
America does similar things, but usually to small groups of people at a time so as to be inconspicuous.

If by similar things you're comparing overage charges to death sentences, then I agree.

Speaking of synonyms... Mindwraith and Braindead? Close?

Tygerstrike said:
To them its an idea. A goal that one day they will achieve freedom. But until the masses get upset they wont have it

They can't get upset, Tyger. In some places you can, like in Syria and Egypt. They were able to communicate and be upset together. But the extreme places like North Korea or Iraq when Saddam was in charge was where the govt can get to you and kill you quicker than you can organize.

I know this sounds like an gross exaggeration, in a comments sections full of exaggeration, but it really is possible to be dragged off by the police and thrown in jail for who knows how long because someone pointed a finger at you. We compare to America for fun (I hope), but it did really happen in America once. The Salem witch trials were like that. One accusal with no evidence could mean death.

This is honestly getting out of hand. Things are falling down to dystopia and slavery, which is of course appalling in this modern age. I honestly think there needs to be an allied invasion to straighten them out.

Back