Mobo,s kind of memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
how can you tell what kind of memory a Mobo takes ?
here is a Mobo i am about to get, a friend wants just a small lil comp put together but not sure what kind of mem, it says DDR266 in the discription
Discription.....
AMD 761 Chipset Socket A 5-PCI/1-AGP/1-ACRSlots AGP8X up to 2Gb DDR266 Audio ATX with cpu - AMD Duron 1.6GHz 266MHz Socket A with fan and heatsink

i buy all my parts from pricewatch and i do not see any DDR266 memory =/

thank you for your time

DDR266 = PC2100.

There's a high probability that it can take anything starting from PC2100 up to PC2700, PC3200, it'll just run slower. Just make sure you get DDR-I modules & not DDR-II modules.

Ok then you for the help, do have another question.
is DDR-II better ten DDR -I ? the reason i ask is my computer was messing up and it was due to two bad memory chips so now i have 512mb in my stem now =/

Motherboard: Asus K8V-SE Deluxe
Graphics card: Radeon 9550
Memory: 512 meg pc3200 DDR
CPU: AMD Athlon64 3200+ 754

this is my system and plan on getting 2-3 gig of mem and if DDR-II is better then i will try and get that.

thank you for your time

You can't use DDR-II on a motherboard meant to use DDR-I. & in any case, DDR-II isn't that much better then DDR-I (yet).

Its strong points is a lower power consumption & bigger theorical bandwidth compared to DDR-I. Its weak points are very high latencies & a very expensive price (although constantly going down).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back