Modem Piggy Backing

Hey, IT very amateur here so please forgive my ignorance and basic questions.
In this time of madness, I am working from home and want to setup my office in a room with terrible/no internet in a lower level of our house. Question being, can I simply piggyback off of our current modem via a long Ethernet to a wifi modem at this part of the house?
We are in Australia and have NBN internet, guessing I need a comparable nb n modem at both ends or just the one that receives the signal?
TIA

So good news is you don't need another modem. However if you already have one lying around you can use it to do what you need. So what you need is simply a wireless access point. To do this with a wireless modem or router that you already have go ahead and run ethernet like you plan. Keep your current modem configured the way it is. On the second modem/router you will need to log into the device and make sure your wireless name/SSID is the same on both devices. Also verify that they use the same security type. eg. WPA,WPA2 etc. After that DHCP will need to be disabled on the second device. It is a good idea to assign a static LAN IP to this device that is not being used on the current LAN. Finally plug the ethernet link from the first modem/router LAN into a LAN port on the second modem/router.

Back