Monitor/gpu

nexis1984

So I built a new computer in may of 22 it has a asus tuf 3080ti / 32 gb of 4000 ram / nvme storage / i9-10900k / asus rog maximus hero z590 im using hdmi 2.1 cables and I have 2 asus 27 inch led qhd 2560x1440 monitors and I didnt have this issue when I was using the monitor on my old pc but when I upgraded to the new one this started and the only way to make it stop is to go threw the monitor settings and reset the displayport stream to 1.2

DisplayPort Stream is for daisy-chaining monitors -- the GPU connects to one monitor by a single DP cable and then another monitor connects to the first one via another DP cable. HDMI 2.1 doesn't support DPS so it shouldn't have any impact on what the monitors are doing, when using the HDMI input.

What specific model of Asus 27" 1440p monitors are you using? Do you have G-SYNC enabled?

Okay, so those monitors have HDMI v1.4 and DisplayPort v1.2 inputs - both are fine for the resolution and refresh rate that the model offers (1440p, 75Hz), although it's towards the top end of what the HDMI port supports (the DP one would be fine).

Do you experience the same problem if you're only using 1 monitor?

As I just read your comment I noticed I made a very big mistake in my post im using display port 2.1 not hdmi sorry for the confusion so to make sure im giving more clear information im running the 2 monitors with their own dp 2.1 cables coming out of the gpu no daisy chain but I will try running 1 monitor for a bit to see if that changes anything

So I kept turning the pc on and off with just 1 monitor and it wouldnt do it but then I plugged in the second monitor and it started doing it

DisplayPort is notoriously picky about cables, especially when using multiple ports in the graphics card. For example, I use two 4K monitors, one at 144Hz and the other at 60Hz. The first one would often and randomly blank out for a few seconds before coming back on, and no amount of twiddling about with the monitor's settings would change it. In the end, I replace both DP cables with a set of Lindy Cromo and the problem went immediately.

I suspect that you're experiencing the same thing. The only way to be sure is to try each monitor, one at a time, using one cable in every DP port in the graphics card. Then try the other cable, and finally repeat the process with the other monitor (check both cables, all ports). If the problem only occurs when using both monitors at the same time, it would seem that the cables are the most likely culprit.

That would mean I have terrible luck because I used to work for direct tv and I have a million dp 1.whatever and I tried quite a few of them and this is my second set of dp 2.1 thats why I thought this was some sort of soft or hard ware issue

Hmm, well that raises more questions than answers! What brand/model of cable are you using? What length are they? What display settings are you using in the Nvidia Control Panel, specifically in the Change Resolution section?

Also, have you tried using a HDMI cable for the secondary monitor (you'll probably need to drop the refresh rate to 60Hz for that screen), while using DP for the primary one? For example, if you don't use both monitors for gaming, you could enable the integrated GPU in the i9-10900K, and plug the secondary monitor in the motherboard's HDMI port.

You questioning the cables made me wonder so I double checked and best buy has them labeled wrong the cables I have are only dp1.2 so now im extremely mad and I just ordered some lindy 1.4

Insignia 6foot 2560 x 1440 native for both and I run dp to both monitors I have not tried using hdmi with this pc

You questioning the cables made me wonder so I double checked and best buy has them labeled wrong the cables I have are only dp1.2 so now im extremely mad and I just ordered some lindy 1.4
According to RTINGS, the monitor has DisplayPort 1.2 and HDMI 1.4 ports, so in theory, those cables should have been fine. Then again, it's not a brand I've heard of before, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're bad. Lindy cables are very good, albeit pretty expensive for what they are.

So I havent got the new cables yet to try them but I did turn down the refresh rate in the nvidia control panel to 60hz like you said and I havent had the issue sense so that might be the issue

The fact that you're not getting the issue at 60 Hz adds further weight to the cables being the cause. Hopefully, when the new ones arrive, they will solve all your problems!

Just to throw more fuel on the fire nvidia driver update changed the refresh rate back to 75hz and the issue came back so I put it back to 60hz and the issue went away again

Nvidia's driver updates do tend to force default monitor settings upon installing, but at least yo can drop the refresh rate down to 60 Hz easy enough. Hopefully it won't be too long before the cables arrive - I'm confident that this should solve the problem.

Back