Monitor, graphics card, or motherboard issue?

Hi TechSpot users!

I have a problem with my monitor. Or. I actually dont know whether it is the monitor, the graphic card or perhaps my PCI-Express slot.

When I turn on my computer, the screen is black and the little blue powerbutton is flashing and nothing happens when i push it. I cant turn my monitor off either, unless I pull the plug.

I've had this problem for some time now. Sometimes the screen just appears by itself after several hours. Sometimes I sit down and push the power button repeatedly and maybe it works after a while. Sometimes it helps to restart the computer.

When the screen works, there is no problem. I can play games and restart the computer and it still works. I can also turn the monitor off and on. I can even turn off the computer (only for a couple of seconds though) and it still works. But if I turn of the computer and leave it for say, 15 minutes, i am right back to the problem mentioned above.

I have tried to replace both monitor, and graphic card. And i've tried to switch the digital cable with an analog (ports as well, of course). Could it be my PCI-e slot? And if so, how to find out, and is it repairable by the average consumer?

Best Regards

Back