Monitor Not Turning On

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace630

Hi again
If you read my post about problems installing xp then you know im trying to get a computer going for my girlfriends brother
Well I gave him my old one to use for now but now that has a problem with it
The monitor will not turn on as it just stays in standby mode
I have tried resetting the biso on the motherboard, changed the psu, tried the ram in different slots and i alos tried moving it into a different case all with the same result
Its an MS make motherboard with 256 mb of ram
I had the full motherboard make name but I cant find it
It also has an intel pentuim 3 1ghz

do you have any beeps when you start the machine?
if not, then there is a problem with the motherboard or something fitted/connected to it.
try the following: turn it off.
1) Take off the memory and video card; reboot and you should get beeps. No beeps = not good. Turn it off.
2) Put back the memory chips - you should get different beeps. no beeps = not good. Turn it off.
3) Put back the memory and video card - you should get 1 beep = this is good as it should then go on and start normally.
If nothing, first check that the front panel connections are good. If in doubt, disconnect (remember where they came from/use a digital camera to remember) and restart with a short over the pwr btn pins.
If this is OK then it is either a failed board or one of the drives - try without the drives to eliminate these.
Let us know.

Well I dont have a video card to take out
Ive tried it without ram before and there was no beeps
When the computer starts up with the ram in there are no beeps
Im thinking the motherboard has gone but I had this problem before but the strange thing is if I pressed on the motherboard for a few seconds then turned the computer on it would work
Now that doesn't help it

There are a couple of clues here - by pressing on the motherboard you may be moving it enough to stop a short somewhere or perhaps rejoin a dry solder joint. To fix the first - take the board out and check for any metal standoffs that do not have a mounting point associated with them - if there are take them out. Check also for any loose screws and other foreign bits and pieces.
The second one is more difficult and probably impossible to find.

Has the mobo worked in the case its in at the moment or has it been moved from one case to another recently?

Turn it off

Here are your Power options in Control Panel.
:)

Attachments

• Power1.jpg
    Power1.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 9
For gods sake Zipperman. Try reading the thread before posting.

It`s nothing to do with the damn power options.

The monitor doesn`t come on at all.

There`s no beeps or bugger all and quite frankly it looks like a mobo problem of some description.

Regards Howard :cool:

No you read it again

Quote 1st post.

Standby is a Power option.It needs to be disabled as in attachment.
So keep your comments in your pockets.
Help Ace.Don't Flame me.

Ace630 said:

Zipperman, for god sake read the bit that says will not turn on.

Will not turn on means it will not turn on. Its a fault and i absloutely guarantee %100 that it has nothing to do with power settings as it will not turn on.

That means the monitor stays in standby mode and won`t turn on at all, which is what I told you in my post above.

Like I said, try reading the thread properly.

Regards Howard.

Ace630 said:
Hi again
If you read my post about problems installing xp then you know im trying to get a computer going for my girlfriends brother
I have tried resetting the biso on the motherboard, changed the psu, tried the ram in different slots and i alos tried moving it into a different case all with the same result
Its an MS make motherboard with 256 mb of ram
I had the full motherboard make name but I cant find it
It also has an intel pentuim 3 1ghz

Hmm i will says it...

/screams like children

DID YOU CHECK THE POWER PLUGS?!?!?!?!?!

/end screams.

;D

Anyway... did you touch something sensitive, such as video card, ram or CPU ?

Here are a few options I haven't seen mentioned:

1. Sometimes if a frequency is beingg used that the monitor doesn't support (or no longer supports as it gets older) the monitor will go into standby and not show any messages at all. Usually you'll still see the POST, however, before it kicks into the graphical higher frequency modes.

2. If you have an onboard and a VGA card, try the other video port. I've had it bite me more than once. Even when I swear I've checked it. After an hour of troubleshooting. It happens to even the most experienced people. I know you said you don't have one, but double check, I've effed that up before too and felt like a bloody clown when I realized it.

3. Let's assume you don't have a card in. What happens if you do put a video card in? Do you get display there?

And Zip, I have to agree with everyone else- the initial symptoms in no way point to power saving controls. Always start simple with the symptoms and build your way into the complex ideas like that.

PS- Your advice isn't necissarily bad. It may still be relevant. It's just ill timed and counter-indicated by the information provided by the poster. And to boot, it's not a bad thing to know in general.

Wow thanks guys
Lots of suggestions there
Ill answer the ones i can remember
Firstly i have tried a vga gard in it but the same result as without one
I dont think it can be the frequency because it has worked fine on the same monitor for months now
Ill check about metal points on the back of the motherboard in the morning
Also I think it did get moved from one case to another but it has worked in the case its in now before
If I cant find any metal points then Ill just scrap the computer
And yes i did check all power cables
Plus im gonna get his other one checked out by a pro but im convinced that there is a problem with the ram in his other one or the cpu

Hold on.

Did you said Pentium 3 ?

Can you at least check the capacitors around the CPU area... there is a high chance of ballooning or blown capacitors.

Can you vertify that before handing this to a dumb man? ( Yes, I always name-calling to any computer service stores, they charges you at outrageous prices.)

Well yes it was a pentuim 3 and this wasnt the one that i was thinking about having checked out
It was another one

Well i looked on the board and i couldnt see any problems or anything
Thx for all your help people

you guys are forgetting maybe one thing. the monitor might have died. they do that occasionally. obviously how long it lasts depends on the monitor type. i think flat panel monitors tend to last much longer if the screen doesn't get smooshed or something.

but perhaps the monitor is done for. try a different monitor?

My final post , you decide if it fits the topic.
Do you mean the on/off led or the picture tube ?
Do you get a "no signal message "
But it does seem very obvious before even posting here and start a guessing game,
to try another monitor.

:wave:

yes i get a no signal message
Its worked on the monitor im trying before
And I have tried other monitors too
I think I might have discovered what the problem is though
When i switch it on I cannot hear the hard drive start up
I have tried different hard drives and different ide cables but all had the same result

Guesses

Well it appears you monitor is ok,but not receiving a signal.
meaning your OS isn't activateing.(Sending a signal)
I don't hear my hard drive,just fans.
When you push the case start button,does it light up to start the hard drive and show it's getting power ? Do you ever get anything readable on the monitor ?
I had a similar situation.The mbd was shot,but eveything else worked
in a new mbd.But only a Technision can test the motherboard.

Well I havent got the lights working on the front
The motherboard doesnt have any indication on it where you plus all the led cables and stuff
I think there is a light on the bottom of the hard drive if i remember correctly from last time it was working and there is no light on it
And no i dont get anything readable on the monitor

Light locations

BIG ? : Aside from the monitor screen not lighting up,does the monitor on/off switch light up that it's plugged in and powered ? Waiting for Signal ?
==================================================
Lets make sure you understand lights and tests.
1.With the Tower Case Power Supply plugged in to a wall socket and the
Power supply case switch in the on position,take off the side.
Their should be a smallgreen light (led) on the motherboard to indicate it's getting power.
No green light you can quit there,it's probably a shot MBD.
======================================================
If it is on then pushing the startup button should turn green while loading.
Everything starts there when you push your case Green Start Button.
The DVD will blink and other rom drives includeing (hard drive red)
No lights here,means no power connecton made to it.
The Red button is to restart and show hard drive activity.No red button
could be a bad hard drive or it's power connection.Probably power connection.
========================================================
Who's been doing your wireing and connections ? It takes some experience.
I think you need a Pro computer shop to check this.
I think you have to spend a few bucks unless you have a more experienced
Friend.:)

Ive been doing the wireing as plugging the power switch into the motherbaord and front led's
As I said There is no clear indication on the actual motherboard where the led's should be plugged into thats why I was going to check a manual for it
I have never seen a green light on the motherboard before as i'm not sure this has one. The cd drive light flashes. There is a light on the hard drive which usually comes on when the computer is turned on but that light is not coming on
The monitor light just blinks like it is in standby mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back