Monitor; power supply or graphics problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently moved to the USA from NZ. I brought with me my hard drive K&T Pro2(MS-6330) ATX VA Motherboard.

I decided not to bring my monitor across with me (too costly).

I bought a monitor here in the USA which works on US PCs (tested). For some reason it will not work off my hard drive.

Could it be the power supply? Graphics card?

I have checked the cables (US); monitor and power supply.

Appreciate any assistance.

Which video connector are you using? D-sub or DVI? Could you be using the wrong DVI cable? Like DVI-D instead of DVI-I.

How and where do I look for that. The cable I am using is attached to the US monitor. There are 15 pin holes on my hard drive, and only 13 on the monitor cable.

What are my options here. Replace the graphics card pins, look for a conversion adapter cable from 13 pin to 15 pin, or take it to a computer shop and get a new graphics card (Probably cost me.....)

Advise appreciated

Something is confused here. The monitor cable should be connected to the graphics card not hard drive. You can't connect a hard drive directly to a monitor. The D-sub connector should have 15 pins. Perhaps two pins are broken and that's the problem.

BTW, what monitor do you have?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

In NZ your mains voltage is 230v in the USA the mains voltage is 120v.

Have you changed your psu to the USA voltage?

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Sorry, the monitor is a CTX, 13 pins on the monitor cable. Yes it is attached to my NZ graphics card. No the pins are not broken as I have tried this monitor on a US graphics which works.

Do I have to change my graphics card, could it be my power supply unit (which I have not changed. My PSU is currently set for NZ.

You need to either change the voltage of your psu, or if it doesn`t have a voltage regulator, get a new psu.

Using your psu on the wrong voltage can damage you system.

Regards Howard :)

howard_hopkinso said:
You need to either change the voltage of your psu, or if it doesn`t have a voltage regulator, get a new psu.

Using your psu on the wrong voltage can damage you system.

Regards Howard :)
Hi Howard
Thanks for the info. I will look at changing my power supply unit tomorrow. Need to go check out some options that are similar to the power supply unit I already have. I hope I have not damaged my system. :( Will keep you posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back