Monitor randomly shuts itself off

TorturedChaos

I reformatted one of our computers at work about a month ago. Re-installed windows xp Pro on it, did all the updates, install all the drives, etc. Installed a new DVD drive (ASUS Black 24X DVD) because the old one was dead.

But since then it will randomly shut the monitor off and it just says "No Signal", but the computer seems to keep working.
Now there does seem to be a bit of a trend to it, sometimes. 90% of the time when you do a search in Windows Explorer, it monitor shuts off. In the last 2 weeks or so, trying to load a CD or DVD causes the same thing - 100% of the time. Also, using IE seems to cause it to, but only about 25% of the time, so it might not have anything to do with IE.
But sometimes you won't be doing any of the above and the monitor will shut off.

It never did this before reformat, so thats why I'm leaning towards it being a software issue instead of a dead graphics card. Its not too old of a card either, replaced it 2 yrs ago.

I have removed the graphics card driver and reinstalled it but that didn't seem to help. I double checked that all the hardware devices have drivers installed for them, and the device manager says they are working.

Would a screwy monitor cause this to happen?

And its not like the monitor timed out because no one was using the computer. Right in the middle of doing something it shuts off.

Attached is the full hardware report from PC Wizard.

So any ideas??

Attachments

• Plans_PC.pdf
    32.1 KB · Views: 0
How many VGA/DVI ports does the GPU have? If it has more than one, switch to a different port and see if the issue reoccurs.

How many VGA/DVI ports does the GPU have? If it has more than one, switch to a different port and see if the issue reoccurs.

wow it was a long time ago I asked about this. But anyways...

I finally got around to trying a VGA cable instead of DVI and it didn't really seem to make a difference.

Any other ideas?

Back